Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A new mid-capacity class?

Bike
    BMW

A new mid-capacity class?

I was cringing just writing that title haha

I have had an idea that id spoken with a few people about so I think it warrants the conversation on here see if anyone could raise potential pit falls or engine problems that I hadnt thought of. Im gonna be selfish and ask that you just discuss this idea and not what you your alternative ideas for a mid sized class like production this or that.

The concept is basically just a supersport bike with nominated size restricters in the intake to limit the HP to around 70hp. Much like what they do in the UK for there LAMS bike laws...

http://www.fiinternational.com/our-products.asp

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CBR-...item338c00ae50

That way kids stepping off 250s, 125s etc could get on a 600 thats either done its dash in Supersport or they can go with a longer term plan and set a bike up for Supersport and then run restricters. It would be the best way to ezz them into racing a big bike so they get used to the chassis without all the power on tap and then its a very easy step to the next class, supersport. 2 steps with only 1 bike...

Also very easy to check if anyone is cheating just pull off manifold and measure.

Basically same concept as OZZYS 450 but just a little bit easier.

Thoughts??

Bike
    KX450 Motard/Flat Track KTM150SX H2R
    would you want to replace a class? or run this in addition to what is already out there?

Bike
    Had a 2007 Suzuki C50T Boulevard
    A Supersport development class? Sounds like a plan. I had a lot of fun with my old GSX600F with 80hp. The good thing about using the 600's is that the likes of Pro - twins is too different for a stepping stone. Another plus is, as you pointed out, that it's simpler than making a 450.

I'd love to see the CBR500R class over here too. If we get that as well, there would need to be a big enough difference in hp to make the 600's a step up.
    You don't get to be an old dog without learning a few tricks.
    Shorai Powersports batteries are very trick!

Bike
    CBR450RR
    Blog Entries
    If they're running restrictors so they only get about 70hp they'd be fine in Superlite, although the regs would have to be changed.

The idea has merit I reckon.
    Zen wisdom: No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously. - obviously had KB in mind when he came up with that gem

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Bike
    BMW
    I think get rid of F3 and Pro Twin at a National level completely Scotty. 1 year all in combined phase in...

250/300/500 Learner Class

Moto 3 / 125s

600 Restricted Class

600 Expert / 600 Supersport Combined

1000 Expert / 1000 Superbike Combined

Bike
    CBR450RR
    Blog Entries
    What about all the existing F3 bikes out there?? Are you saying they should all be retired and everyone go out and buy something else??
    Zen wisdom: No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously. - obviously had KB in mind when he came up with that gem

Bike
    BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by Mental Trousers View Post
    What about all the existing F3 bikes out there?? Are you saying they should all be retired and everyone go out and buy something else??
    Yeah pretty much, would have atleast 18 months to sort something out or in your case pretty easy to pick up another engine and fit some restricters. Im only talking at National level though

Bike
    KX450 Motard/Flat Track KTM150SX H2R
    Quote Originally Posted by CHOPPA View Post
    I think get rid of F3 and Pro Twin at a National level completely Scotty. 1 year all in combined phase in...

250/300/500 Learner Class

Moto 3 / 125s

600 Restricted Class

600 Expert / 600 Supersport Combined

1000 Expert / 1000 Superbike Combined
    I dont know why you would want to drop pro twin and F3 which have more numbers than 125's/moto 3?, what is the problem of having those classes at the nationals, i think they are just as good of a stepping stone as a restricted 600 is,

if the tyre rules are the same for the 600 restricted class then how much cheaper than a full supersport 600 will they be,

also, what ist he point of having the expert class? in the same race?

Bike
    BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by scott411 View Post
    I dont know why you would want to drop pro twin and F3 which have more numbers than 125's/moto 3?, what is the problem of having those classes at the nationals, i think they are just as good of a stepping stone as a restricted 600 is,

if the tyre rules are the same for the 600 restricted class then how much cheaper than a full supersport 600 will they be,

also, what ist he point of having the expert class? in the same race?
    I think all the F3 guys should get on the 600 restricted bikes, its such a messy class. People come to watch and I cant even explain what the bikes are and the rules. To have 5 different classes competing together just waters everything down and creates seperation. Also all manufacturers have suitable bikes for the restricted class. I would just as soon drop 125/Moto 3 as well.

The reason for the expert classes to be combined is we dont have enough population to have it seperate. The expert class would be so it encourages club racers to race national events on a limited budget because it has more tyre restrictions and there are restrictions on who can enter the expert class etc

As for cost the tyres for restricted class could be dramatically reduced due to the lack of HP. You cant make it any cheaper. Having a reliable new restricted 600 running 2 sets of tyres per weekend is as cheap as its gonna get in road racing

Bike
    CBR450RR
    Blog Entries
    You totally miss the point of F3/Superlite. It's for people who want to build something that isn't yet another clone. They get to do whatever they like, whatever they can dream up. If I had the money to spend on whatever race bike I wanted to I sure as fuck wouldn't be building a 600 or superbike, I'd be building something different and unique. There's no more F1 or F2 so F3 is the only class left for people with an imagination.

Bike
    NSR300 F3, ME BUCKET
    You totally miss the point of F3/Superlite. It's for people who want to build something that isn't yet another clone. They get to do whatever they like, whatever they can dream up. If I had the money to spend on whatever race bike I wanted to I sure as fuck wouldn't be building a 600 or superbike, I'd be building something different and unique. There's no more F1 or F2 so F3 is the only class left for people with an imagination.
    What he said.

You are suggesting turning a race bike into a slow heavy pice of shit. Ummmm?

F3 is a great class. Or super buckets as I like to think of it. My NSR300 will be done soon. 80hp 105kg what bike would you rather ride?

Bike
    BMW
    That is great but IMO it doesnt fit with the Superbike national series. I think there should be an alternative series that caters for the more diverse classes ie post classic, classics, F3, Superlite, Naked and Twins, sidecars.

In fact if they were separate I guarantee id be a starter in one of those classes in the other series. Prob naked or twins.

Motocross nationals seem to be on the up and up, clear class progression, modern familiar bikes.

Bike
    BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by richban View Post
    What he said.

You are suggesting turning a race bike into a slow heavy pice of shit. Ummmm?

F3 is a great class. Or super buckets as I like to think of it. My NSR300 will be done soon. 80hp 105kg what bike would you rather ride?
    Not saying it isnt a great class and yes id take the 80hp 600 and lap you

Somethings gotta give though and this is a modern production bike series, if you dont like modern production why are you so intent on racing in that series?

Im not saying delete F3 from the rulebook

Bike
    NSR300 F3, ME BUCKET
    Quote Originally Posted by CHOPPA View Post
    Not saying it isnt a great class and yes id take the 80hp 600 and lap you

Hang on a minute I thought you said 70hp. Lap me! I feel a foolish bet coming on.

Bike
    CBR450RR
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by richban View Post
    Hang on a minute I thought you said 70hp. Lap me! I feel a foolish bet coming on.

Thread Information