Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rear reflector: OK at top of license plate?

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by russd7 View Post
    meh, only fail if it gets bloody gremlins in em, two bulbs in mine and they won't pass a warrant unless both bulbs are working, as i said before still don't see the need for reflectors, had a couple of people try to fail me for not having reflectors until i pointed out that they just didn't look hard enough
    Aye, but then I have been out in the middle of nowhere when all of a sudden no lights in the back half of the bike.

So to recap. A black bike, with a rider dressed in black. Yes that was a nervous ride home.
    Blown fuse was the cause.

Stupid phone / Tapatalk, apologies in advance.

Bike
    Between bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Unless the regs stipulate a red reflector.
    They do unfortunately.

Note the reflected light has to be visible from 100m. While no size is specified this would indicate that teeny tiny reflectors may fail on this point.

Also note 1) that says it has to be an actual 'item', e.g. tape is not OK.
    Also note 2) that says if it's the OEM reflectors they can do whatever the fuck they wanna do.

Bike
    2008, Honda CBR600RR
    Blog Entries
    tbh even though I haven't failed because of it I might go out and get one. I'm always really conscious that I'm dressed all in matt black. Even though my bike is lit up like a Christmas tree. I'm thinking about wearing the fluro reflectors and maybe adding some to my pegs and other rear and side facing fairings.
    What's the point in living if you don't feel alive?

Toying with ones mortality shouldn't be this much fun.

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by Juniper View Post
    tbh even though I haven't failed because of it I might go out and get one. I'm always really conscious that I'm dressed all in matt black. Even though my bike is lit up like a Christmas tree. I'm thinking about wearing the fluro reflectors and maybe adding some to my pegs and other rear and side facing fairings.
    Depth and speed perception becomes harder if there are too many.
    I have been in the position of following a bike that had every imaginable reflector. I found it bloody hard to judge their speed and found I kept suddenly being a lot closer to them than I thought. Possibly because there were three colours o reflector some of which moved in relation to the body of the bike.

We all have to do our bit to be seen. My observation has always been other road users are more polite when you are wearing a vest, but rarely see you sooner except in mirrors or when your lights have all failed. Where a lime dayglo and you see a lot of panic braking.

Word of warning: if in your quest to be seen you are offered flashing valve caps, the ones that take multiple LR 44 batteries have a nasty habit of pulling the valve out of the rim.

Stupid phone / Tapatalk, apologies in advance.

Bike
    The pirate bike. Arr-arr!
    What about a reflective number plate surround? standard size (good for judging distances), easy to mount....

I'm gonna google it

Bike
    Between bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Ribit View Post
    What about a reflective number plate surround? standard size (good for judging distances), easy to mount....

I'm gonna google it
    If you find one to fit bike size plate

Thread Information