Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Duc service in Auckland?

Bike
    2008 M696

Duc service in Auckland?

HI
    After much consideration, i have decided to go for monster 696 over shiver. However the one I am thinking about buying is 2008 with 8K on speedo. I called cyclespot about the 12K service and they said it would cost me around $1000- because they would need to check the belts and all. Is there any other place where i can get it serviced? how good is the motorcycle dr?
    The guy i am buying from says the belt don't need replacement until 20K. Still cyclespot says it will be 1000 because they need to check the belts.
    Any suggestions?
    Cheers

Bike
    A black one
    A guy from work swears by the Motorcycle Doctor so could be worth calling him for a quote.

A grand for that seems a bit steep to me. Servicing costs are the main thing that puts me off buying anything European.

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Its suggested for belt drive Ducatis that the belts are changed at 2 years or 10 000 mls ( thats according to the ST Forum).
    4 years is a long time and belts apparently don't like to sit in the same position.
    I do my own servicing but I have heard good things about http://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&rct...64125504,d.aGc

If they are going in as far as the belts it would be worth having a look at valve clearances.
    I had a Jap import SS, 8 years old, mint with 17K on it and the belts were cracked and loose, valves were fine.

I have to check the valves and change the belts on my ST4s.... its a mission as you have to take off the mirrors, fairing, battery...etc.
    I'm not so keen on modern bikes, took me less than an hour to take the gearbox out of my 74 R90s.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    As many as I can get away with
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    I'm not so keen on modern bikes, took me less than an hour to take the gearbox out of my 74 R90s.
    Yeah I'm getting good at that too...an hour? Jeez what took you so long

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by swarfie View Post
    Yeah I'm getting good at that too...an hour? Jeez what took you so long
    Tired after a hard day at the office.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    aprilia Tuono
    I may be wrong but I heard that duc's belts are not tensioned, hence the need to change them religiously [go for the shiver instead :-) ]

sent from my phone (so scuze auto correct typos)
    "For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen" Douglas Adams (1952-2001) - not riding a TUONO then!

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by yevjenko View Post
    I may be wrong but I heard that duc's belts are not tensioned, hence the need to change them religiously [go for the shiver instead :-) ]

Yes you are wrong.
    They need changing as they are a belt not a gear or a chain or a bevel drive.
    The tensioner needs to be set up using a belt deflection meter ( tech version of pressing your thumb on it)
    or the 1/2 a turn method, or the 5mm allen key feeler guage type method.
    I'm looking at the Guitar Tuner app method next as its about 100HZ.
    I lurned 2 do the 2 valvers off youtube....plus the manual.

In hindsight owning a 4 valve head liquid cooled 117 HP machine was probably not one of my greatest decisions.
    If I was buying a Monster I'd go for a 900 air cooled one, unless you really 'need' more power than that.

Bike
    Something red and quick
    When I had my 848, it was serviced at Haldanes.
    "Small" service (every 12k) is around $750-$1000, and big service (engine must come off the bike, every 24k) is around twice that.
    Sounds about right, unfortunately.
    It is likely to be less than $1000, but always budget for the worst case scenario.
    Such is part of owning such a beauty.

Japanese bikes cost half that to service, or less.
    Elite Fight Club - Proudly promoting common sense and safe riding since 2024
    http://1199s.wordpress.com

Bike
    TF125
    Buy a Jap IL4; Oil, Filter, Ride.

Bike
    '08 R6
    Aden from Restorace is worth calling. He is qualified and offers very high quality work at pretty competitive prices.
    Arborist available - Will trade tree work services for bike parts or servicing! PM me...

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Ducati used to insist on new belts every two years, regardless of whether the bike was used or not. Some newer bikes are different I believe.

Seriously, you would not want a belt to fail. That is why the UK bike mags advise that if you buy a Ducati, you buy one with a full service history. If a belt fails you are up for a bill that would make that $1000 look like a down payment.

I had a 996 engine in my Monster, the 916 and 996 had a reputation for the chrome wearing off the cam followers occasionally. All sorts of random theories as to why and how to avoid it, but...

In the event the problem strikes the fix is to replace the cam followers, IIRC they are only about $100 each - but there are sixteen of them. I dreaded the shop telling me they had found chrome flakes in the oil.

Talk about "the passion".
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Your mom
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmoot View Post
    "Small" service (every 12k) is around $750-$1000, and big service (engine must come off the bike, every 24k) is around twice that.
    Why does the engine have to come out?

Bike
    2006 Suzuki Hayabusa
    Quote Originally Posted by Madness View Post
    Buy a Jap IL4; Oil, Filter, Ride.
    Truer words have never been spoken.

Safe to say this thread has put me off owning anything Italian

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by The Reibz View Post
    Truer words have never been spoken.

Safe to say this thread has put me off owning anything Italian
    " Oh but the sound"....spose I could download an MP3 of a Ducati and just buy a Honda

Bike
    aprilia Tuono
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    Yes you are wrong.
    They need changing as they are a belt not a gear or a chain or a bevel drive.
    Cool. Glad to be wrong this time :-)

"For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen" Douglas Adams (1952-2001) - not riding a TUONO then!

Thread Information