Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intermediate bike advice, moving on from a VTR250?

Bike
    2016 Triumph 800 XCX

Intermediate bike advice, moving on from a VTR250?

Hi Riders,

I am a learner rider since September and am currently down in Wellington riding a Honda VTR 250, which I absolutely adore! I am a very tall woman and the bike is perfect for commuting round town. However it's just struggling with me at highway speeds and on long rides out of town. I pretty much live on this bike and am riding all the time in every weather, I just feel as though my riding isn't improving with it!

I'm looking for something that is similar in riding style, naked look, with some grunt!! that is LAMS approved and isn't going to break the bank. I am also moving up to Whangarei in a couple of weeks so would be selling VTR immediately and looking to buy around the Auckland region.

There seems to be a few Suzuki GS500 available on trademe up there. IS this the sort of bike that I could handle and would improve my riding whilst not being too much for me?? Any other opinions on which bike or make is a good idea? 400 or 500 cc, i think I would hurt myself having too much fun on a 600+...

Looking for as much help as possible! The idea of selling the VTR and being bikeless is terrifying!

Cheers,

Stef

Bike
    Your mom
    I've never ridden a GS500, but from what I've heard they're pretty sedate so you won't have any trouble. I didn't find it too bad going from a CBR250 to a GSXR600 which has about double the power of the GS500. Just take it easy until you're used to it and there won't be any problems.

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Suzuki Hayabusa

I am oogling up a GSX650FU - the LAMS approved version and after taking it for a ride, it is ver nice, but since it is a new model, it comes with a new model $$$
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    SPEED TRIPLE
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEU View Post
    I didn't find it too bad going from a CBR250 to a GSXR600 which has about double the power of the GS500. Just take it easy until you're used to it and there won't be any problems.
    What he said.

I went from a Hornet 250 to ER6n. Had no issues, just take it slow and steady getting to know your new bike, and you'll be sweet.
    No body move... I dropped my brain

Bike
    Austrian and Italian
    Quote Originally Posted by StefM View Post

There seems to be a few Suzuki GS500 available on trademe up there. IS this the sort of bike that I could handle and would improve my riding whilst not being too much for me??
    The GS500 is a motorcycle. You cant really get any more specific with it. It goes, stops and turns, but doesn't really do any of that particularly well. It *IS* however pretty good value, not too heavy and reasonably reliable.

If you want something exciting, look somewhere else.

Yeah ER6 or something would be fine. How tall is tall? You can have a lot of fun on something like a Suzuki DR650 adventure bike... Very friendly, quite comfy and you can take it plenty of dumb places.

Bike
    Various things
    There seems to be a few Suzuki GS500 available on trademe up there.Cheers,

Stef
    GS500's are great wee bikes Stef. You'll be fine. Best of luck with the move!

Pete

Bike
    500EXC
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemonLord View Post
    Suzuki Hayabusa
    +1 Just dont put L plates on it aye
    Sticking to the back roads

Bike
    Between bikes
    I am a learner rider since September and am currently down in Wellington riding a Honda VTR 250, which I absolutely adore! I am a very tall woman and the bike is perfect for commuting round town. However it's just struggling with me at highway speeds and on long rides out of town. I pretty much live on this bike and am riding all the time in every weather, I just feel as though my riding isn't improving with it!
    Nothing wrong with the GS500.

All due respect I think you'll have plenty to learn yet on your 2fitty though. Have you done any courses e.g. ACC subsidised bronze/silver www.rideforever.co.nz ?

I am 6'3 (190cm) and ride an 07 Ninja 250, btw. I looked into getting a GS500 and they are not going to offer too much more 'grunt' etc for the ~$5k a tidy one costs.

When you say it's struggling at highway speeds - can you clarify? My bike will do 100k up nearly any hill*, you just have to keep it in the revs.

* Haven't tried Baldwin St yet

Bike
    A Red German one.
    Hi Riders,

I'm looking for something that is similar in riding style, naked look, with some grunt!! that is LAMS approved and isn't going to break the bank. I am also moving up to Whangarei in a couple of weeks so would be selling VTR immediately and looking to buy around the Auckland region.

There seems to be a few Suzuki GS500 available on trademe up there. IS this the sort of bike that I could handle and would improve my riding whilst not being too much for me?? Any other opinions on which bike or make is a good idea? 400 or 500 cc, i think I would hurt myself having too much fun on a 600+...

Looking for as much help as possible! The idea of selling the VTR and being bikeless is terrifying!

Cheers,

Stef

A Suzuki Gladius. It is still a Vtwin, and it will do everything you want it to do, all day long.

Or if your pockets are deeper, then the Ducati Monster 656. Again a Vtwin, and a lot of fun to boot.

"No matter what bike you ride. It's all the same wind in your face"

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Budget? New or 2nd hand? Honda have their CB500 range as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    2008 R6
    GS500e (naked) is a great bike. I had one as a second bike many years ago. It is easy to work on, it was easy to ride, and the best part is you can buy a used one that is a few years old and sell it for the same amount a few years later.

As mentioned lots of good parallel twin bikes out there that are similar.... like a CB500.

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by oneblackflag View Post
    +1 Just dont put L plates on it aye
    Nah, you need the LAMS approved version
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemonLord View Post
    Nah, you need the LAMS approved version
    Pull three of the plug leads and it may just squeeze in ..........

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    I am also moving up to Whangarei in a couple of weeks
    yessssssss...

There seems to be a few Suzuki GS500 available on trademe up there. IS this the sort of bike that I could handle and would improve my riding whilst not being too much for me??
    pretty much anything is better than a honda.
    And pretty much anything LAMS will not punch your babies.

But since youve honda'd already. Get horny.

...A honda horny.

...Hornet that is..

Nothing wrong with the gs.

Asides from missing an 'x' and an 'r' and being a slow piece of shit.

Bike
    2018 Moto Guzzi V9
    could look at the baby beemer adventure bikes, not expensive & go forever
    SIGN HERE X

Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    It's like watching a train wreck.
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    What a soft cock, who wears pants when posting on facebook?

Thread Information