Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1000cc bikes on tardme

Bike
    A
    Just to change the angle a little on this topic...I'd be more concerned about buying a bike that looks mint, when in effect it's been cobbled together after a prang, with bits bought on E-bay and from wreckers, to come up looking mint...

Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650
    Quote Originally Posted by mike1991 View Post
    maybe sellers should put it in the add instead of hoping someone Wil buy it without asking..
    This is what pisses me off - what do they think, that you're just going to show up to pick up your bike and not care about the cracked fairings and scraped engine covers? You shouldn't have to ask about something as straight-forward as fall damage.

Bike
    '08 R6
    I've only ever owned 1 bike that hasn't been dropped. All have been great. I agree with some here who say the first instance of contact is essential. Being negative about the bike isn't going to help. Ok, if a bike is damaged then always be honest, but some people put this on their auctions:

'CBSXR6 FOR SALE. Good bike, goes real well. Lots of scratches and a dent on the tank. I could repair it but it's never been an issue to me. Test rides ok but if you drop it you buy it.'

That's honest, true, but what a terrible way to advertise a bike. It may actually be a fantastic bike that needs hardly any attention, but about 90% of potential buyers instantly look away. I've bought heaps of bikes and cars advertised like this. All of them have been really good deals funnily enough, because I was the first/only to look!

So I'm ok with sellers not giving me the bikes cosmetic condition in essay form, as long as I ask the right questions when I go and look at it!
    Arborist available - Will trade tree work services for bike parts or servicing! PM me...

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    Just to change the angle a little on this topic...I'd be more concerned about buying a bike that looks mint, when in effect it's been cobbled together after a prang, with bits bought on E-bay and from wreckers, to come up looking mint...
    If it's been an insurance write off, the reg status will reflect. If not, as long as the bikes not dangerous, who cares?

A mint bike is a mint bike, a mint 'looking' bike is just that too. So long as someone doesn't misrepresent anything, it's all good 'n da hood.

Bike
    suzuki dr200 2004
    maybe im being picky and yes i have fallen off but if i sold it i made sure it was put in the add with photos..
    not forgetting about putting it in the add and only taking good photos of one side of the bike then a far away for the other side. just seen a bike i was keen on was talking with the guy said it was dropped low speed fairings was fixed by him did a check on it and turns out the insurances company rid it off because of the crash so sounds to me more then a "drop"

it aint hard to be truthful about something but maybe that's just me?

sent from my phone.

Bike
    '08 R6
    Quote Originally Posted by mike1991 View Post
    maybe im being picky and yes i have fallen off but if i sold it i made sure it was put in the add with photos..
    not forgetting about putting it in the add and only taking good photos of one side of the bike then a far away for the other side. just seen a bike i was keen on was talking with the guy said it was dropped low speed fairings was fixed by him did a check on it and turns out the insurances company rid it off because of the crash so sounds to me more then a "drop"

it aint hard to be truthful about something but maybe that's just me?

sent from my phone.
    Nah that's fair, deliberately only taking pictures of 1 side of the bike is pretty bad.
    Arborist available - Will trade tree work services for bike parts or servicing! PM me...

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    unless the seller is dishonest, or lies by omission, whats the problem? It may well actually BE mint if its been repaired properly.
    I sold such a bike a while back - description in the ad went something like - has been damaged, and repaired to a high standard . . .
    I supplied copies of the revin paperwork, the engineers report and receipts for everything purchased to repair it.
    Never heard a single complaint from the bloke that bought it.

Bike
    Bikes!
    I dunno man. I can see your point, but you're in that segment of the market. Trademe, ads in the paper, whatever, they're just a precursor to actually inspecting a bike. You don't buy anything with wheels without checking it out. I think if you assume everyone selling you a bike is a cunt, and act accordingly, you're more likely to stay happy. They've all been dropped because even though they're lightweight, they're still a big two wheeled 1xxhp toy and shit happens.

Bike
    Between bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by imdying View Post
    You don't buy anything with wheels without checking it out.
    I dunno about that. I bought my 07 Ninja off trademe from Invers, had never seen it, paid half, had it delivered, paid the other half on delivery.

It was described perfectly (had sat for a while, but in generally good condition / low miles), I knew exactly what I was getting and that's what I got. At a fair price.

Maybe it's different dealing with a $10k bike. Maybe even more so when buying a 'mint' $15k bike for $10k.

I dunno, I tend to find it fairly easy to work out when a seller is genuine and when they're full of shit though. "Goez mint heeps of spears" immediately makes me suspicious.

Bike
    2001 Red, White, Blue FireBlade
    I've dropped and crashed a fair few in my time.
    Older bikes held up infinitely better, fairing was thicker and the paint was liberally applied -

CBR600RR lowslide on ice: $700+ worth of fairing damage as it's paper thin + brake lever + wingmirror + indicators - $1000+
    VFR800FI lowslide on ice: new brake lever, touch up paint, slight scuff on wingmirror. ~$40

you'd never tell.

If there's a bike out there that's been ridden, it's probably been dropped, hell when a motogp rider goes down they don't care as long as the bike goes straight.
    Blade had a little drop from the Japanese person who owned it before me, I'm terrified of dropping her but when/if I do - it's probably no biggie. Me being 60kg picking up 185+kg is more of a concern.

Bike
    2001 Red, White, Blue FireBlade
    Quote Originally Posted by Erelyes View Post

I dunno, I tend to find it fairly easy to work out when a seller is genuine and when they're full of shit though. "Goez mint heeps of spears" immediately makes me suspicious.
    "go for a test ride, but I'll need cash in hand" says infinitely more than service history.

Bike
    Bikes!
    I dunno about that. I bought my 07 Ninja off trademe from Invers, had never seen it, paid half, had it delivered, paid the other half on delivery.
    Just because you're a dumbarse and were fortunate enough to get away with it, does not make it good practice. Worst, you're foolish enough to think you can spot when you're being sold down the river.

Bike
    Between bikes
    Just because you're a dumbarse and were fortunate enough to get away with it, does not make it good practice.
    Yeah, probably. However, buying a bike unseen does not always mean you get a lemon; and sometimes if the price is right (mine was a $1 res auction) the extra risk is worth it.

Worst, you're foolish enough to think you can spot when you're being sold down the river.
    Not saying I'm infallible, and I sure have been made a fool before (heavy duty clutch my ass :mad:). But after buying 20 odd vehicles you get a bit better at it.

Once I went to view a car specifically cos I could tell something was off, and I wanted to see how full of shit they were. Long story short, the car had a botched repair to the front end, the VIN didn't match the rego plate which didn't match the licence sticker... :laugh:

Bike
    CB1300
    Yeah, probably. However, buying a bike unseen does not always mean you get a lemon; and sometimes if the price is right (mine was a $1 res auction) the extra risk is worth it.

Not saying I'm infallible, and I sure have been made a fool before (heavy duty clutch my ass ). But after buying 20 odd vehicles you get a bit better at it.

Once I went to view a car specifically cos I could tell something was off, and I wanted to see how full of shit they were. Long story short, the car had a botched repair to the front end, the VIN didn't match the rego plate which didn't match the licence sticker...
    So stolen then?
    I hope you dobbed the bar stools in. Only a few lower forms of life than vehicle thieves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information