Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Impact of lowering a bike?

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEU View Post
    Just make sure it's not too low that you run out of lean mid corner.
    I test roda a Harley Sportster and took it on my test loop that I test ride all bikes on: up and over Dyers, out to the Wheatsheaf then over Gebbies and back: it gives a good range of conditions to assess the bike. On the way up to the Kiwi at a very moderate pace I was dragging bits of the bike on the ground where I have never hit anything before (or since) on any bike I have ever ridden. It was comedy. Fine going straight but if you are used to anything else.... I have only ever ridden two cruisers but the compromise for Hobbit seat height is very apparent even at a nana pace....
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Taylor View Post
    Bollocks. Most lowering links are made by companies who never reply if you ask them for the revised linkage curve graph and if you ask them if the wheel / tyre is still going to clear the inner mudguard at full compression. Its because they've made the links just to make money without concern of any negative side affects. Fancy anodising, packaging and claims fools the great buying public into thinking they are actually credible. Its also very sad that a lot of dealer personnel go along with this travesty.

Sometimes you get lucky but it really annoys me when people make blanket statements on forums on the basis of their extremely limited sampling range.

The only way to lower a bike properly is to shorten the suspension ( professionally ) and making compensatory spring and valving adjustments to account for the more progressive part of the linkage curve ratio happening a little sooner.

Like I said sometimes you get lucky but we see many lowering jobs that are just terrible
    Must admit my quest for further info on the effect of using the lowering links, from Lust Racing, UK, was met by a wall of silence.
    Took a punt that a softly sprung, light, trailie would not be as upset with lowering links as it would being dropped because of height. Compared to the OE links, assuming they are OE, there was barely a couple mm difference in centres.
    In my ignorance I have not noticed any issues or shock problems.
    Any hoo, live & learn.
    Thanks for yer input.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    GL1800
    Bollocks. Most lowering links are made by companies who never reply if you ask them for the revised linkage curve graph and if you ask them if the wheel / tyre is still going to clear the inner mudguard at full compression. Its because they've made the links just to make money without concern of any negative side affects. Fancy anodising, packaging and claims fools the great buying public into thinking they are actually credible. Its also very sad that a lot of dealer personnel go along with this travesty.

Sometimes you get lucky but it really annoys me when people make blanket statements on forums on the basis of their extremely limited sampling range.

The only way to lower a bike properly is to shorten the suspension ( professionally ) and making compensatory spring and valving adjustments to account for the more progressive part of the linkage curve ratio happening a little sooner.

Like I said sometimes you get lucky but we see many lowering jobs that are just terrible
    I was replying from the perspective that the bike was to be reinstated
    "If you haven't grown up by the time you turn 50, you don't have to!"

Bike
    '09 Bandit 1250s
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    I test roda a Harley Sportster and took it on my test loop that I test ride all bikes on: up and over Dyers, out to the Wheatsheaf then over Gebbies and back: it gives a good range of conditions to assess the bike. On the way up to the Kiwi at a very moderate pace I was dragging bits of the bike on the ground where I have never hit anything before (or since) on any bike I have ever ridden. It was comedy. Fine going straight but if you are used to anything else.... I have only ever ridden two cruisers but the compromise for Hobbit seat height is very apparent even at a nana pace....

The good news is, if you forget to put the side stand out on a Harley, it will just rest on the foot pegs anyway.

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    Im not sure why everyone immediaely fucks with the suspension.
    careful selection of available tyres based on their contour, along with modifying the seat foam, and even adding slightly thicker sole to ones riding boots makes a fairly subtantial difference when all added up, without having nearly as drastic potential effects on handling.

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by shafty View Post
    I was replying from the perspective that the bike was to be reinstated
    Ok, fair call.

This whole issue of lowering is a much bigger can of worms than people realise, including dealers!

Ph: 06 751 2100 * Email: robert@kss.net.nz
    Mob: 021 825 514 * Fax: 06 751 4551

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    In the case of such bikes ( also most Japanese and nasty mainland Asian twin shock bikes ) it is not neccessarily and SOLELY about raising the ride height to stop constant scaping / grounding. Most of the mass produced oem twin shocks and also the cheap and less than cheerful aftermarket offerings are of twin tube construction with a very restrictive check plate passage at the bottom of the inner tube. Such shocks are not pressurised. So the more undulating and bumpy the road is the more and more the shocks cavitate. Felt to the rider as constant wallowing and grounding. Because when cavitation happens there is no damping control so the dynamic ride height control suffers. Fitting some decent quality and gas pressurised aftermarket shocks at exactly the same length will on its own account deliver higher ride height, dynamically.

Bike
    R6
    I lowered my R6 with dog links, and had the front dropped on the forks the keep it level. I know very little about the effects of this or exactly how it has been done (yes, I should know), but personally love how it handles. But I don't ride the bike anywhere even close to it's potential so for me it works just fine. Anyone else however that rides me bike gets off saying it all feels very strange. I guess I've only ever ridden it like that so unsure of what "normal" feels like.

But yes, ground clearance can become an issue - as I found out last week for the first time. Just now know it's "lean limits".

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by Katiepie View Post
    I lowered my R6 with dog links, and had the front dropped on the forks the keep it level. I know very little about the effects of this or exactly how it has been done (yes, I should know), but personally love how it handles. But I don't ride the bike anywhere even close to it's potential so for me it works just fine. Anyone else however that rides me bike gets off saying it all feels very strange. I guess I've only ever ridden it like that so unsure of what "normal" feels like.

But yes, ground clearance can become an issue - as I found out last week for the first time. Just now know it's "lean limits".
    To not put too fine a point on it the people making these lowering dogbones also know very little about any possible negative side effects, nor do they actually care. We have had more than a few bikes through with these ''land of milk and honey'' dogbones and the stability and control has left a lot to desire. Sometimes as I said you get lucky but its akin to russian roulette. There are a lot of people making money out of selling pretty mediocre product.
    Last edited by Robert Taylor; 13th April 2014 at 10:54.

Bike
    suzuki
    or letting 20 psi out of each tyre...

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    or letting 20 psi out of each tyre...
    Or in your case letting 20psi out of your blow up tranny doll!

Bike
    suzuki
    Or in your case letting 20psi out of your blow up tranny doll!
    Mines been filled with polystyrene balls after the incident in Stratford two years ago, had to do it twice. The first time they all squeaked so I took them out and coated each one in vaseline before putting them back in, you can imagine how hard it was to reinsert them with them all sticking to my fingers.

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    Mines been filled with polystyrene balls after the incident in Stratford two years ago, had to do it twice. The first time they all squeaked so I took them out and coated each one in vaseline before putting them back in, you can imagine how hard it was to reinsert them with them all sticking to my fingers.
    Stratford fortunately has adequate demographic disposition to New Plymouth.

Thread Information