Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Impact of lowering a bike?

Bike
    Gone

Impact of lowering a bike?

I've spotted a bike I want to buy but I am concerned about the fact that it's been lowered.

Personally I'd never consider lowering a bike at all because of potential concerns regarding what would happen to the suspension geometry etc, but this one has had it done.

What do I need to look out for in this case?

A quick google search shows that there are multiple ways to do this, one being taking sag out of the suspension and another being using lowering links. Then there's many forum posts that came up in my search of people with differing opinions. One says it's all good, the other says it makes the bike feel really unstable at low speeds.

I'm interested in opinions from experts and people who have been through the process -- any insight appreciated. My first port of call would be to have it reversed and re-set at the stock height.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    My girlfriends trailie has lowering links (dog bones) & the yokes dropped on the forks. No issues whatsoever.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    GL1800
    George has it right
    "If you haven't grown up by the time you turn 50, you don't have to!"

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    it depends on the bike. Ive ridden one or two that were lowered and were fine, others that were, quite frankly, fuckin dangerous.

if youre going to reset it to stock anyway, what does it matter provided everything else checks out?

Bike
    '09 Bandit 1250s
    Give it a test ride. If you like it you like it

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike
    The previous owner of my bike had it lowered for his wife and did it properly with a new link. I wanted it reinstated to full height for me which he did. Handles fine. Still got my mechanic to look at it later just for my peace of mind and he was happy with it.

Lowering per se isn't a bad thing as long as it was done (and reversed) in a competent manner.
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    Not many... If any...
    A little off topic but,

When I had my M109 I lowered it cause I thought it looked cool. It sucked.... Cornering became a grinding issue. Mind you, that was on a big ass whale of a cruiser.. Don't know what the fuck I was thinking!!!

Bike
    Dont have one now
    Quote Originally Posted by Wingnut View Post
    A little off topic but,

When I had my M109 I lowered it cause I thought it looked cool. It sucked.... Cornering became a grinding issue. Mind you, that was on a big ass whale of a cruiser.. Don't know what the fuck I was thinking!!!
    Those things don't have any ground clearance to start with.

now back on topic

Bike
    RD350 KTM790R, 2 x BMW R80G/S, XT500
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    My girlfriends trailie has lowering links (dog bones) & the yokes dropped on the forks. No issues whatsoever.
    You should really change the shock spring.
    I've seen bikes lowered with dogbones where the spring is compressed past tolerance.

Bike
    Your mom
    Just make sure it's not too low that you run out of lean mid corner.

Bike
    Not many... If any...
    Quote Originally Posted by skippa1 View Post
    Those things don't have any ground clearance to start with.

now back on topic
    Agreed....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M109.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	296085  

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    many people sell lowering links. Most of them are Ill conceived. Find out how it's been done and if reversible. You can walk away.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by shafty View Post
    George has it right
    Bollocks. Most lowering links are made by companies who never reply if you ask them for the revised linkage curve graph and if you ask them if the wheel / tyre is still going to clear the inner mudguard at full compression. Its because they've made the links just to make money without concern of any negative side affects. Fancy anodising, packaging and claims fools the great buying public into thinking they are actually credible. Its also very sad that a lot of dealer personnel go along with this travesty.

Sometimes you get lucky but it really annoys me when people make blanket statements on forums on the basis of their extremely limited sampling range.

The only way to lower a bike properly is to shorten the suspension ( professionally ) and making compensatory spring and valving adjustments to account for the more progressive part of the linkage curve ratio happening a little sooner.

Like I said sometimes you get lucky but we see many lowering jobs that are just terrible

Ph: 06 751 2100 * Email: robert@kss.net.nz
    Mob: 021 825 514 * Fax: 06 751 4551

Bike
    Street Triple R
    The other thing is if the shock is lowered what has happened in the front? Just push the forks through the clamps au?

My Street Triple R has a TTX36 in it which is slightly shorter than stock (Thanks Robert) and I have pushed the forks up a little. It dropped the seat a little. A very little.

I am actually a Hobbit so it helped. But I (fortuitously?) ripped the stock seat cover on my bike. When I get it re-covered I am going to get the foam re-contoured: I reckon that will make the most difference.

And lowering a street bike is only really an advantage a bit of the time while the thing is stopped or moving slowly.

If I want a dirt bike I have to stick with pre 1970 technology because the seats are low. BSA B44!
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    You should really change the shock spring.
    I've seen bikes lowered with dogbones where the spring is compressed past tolerance.
    Been checked & set up for her. All good. TBH the dog bones did not lower it much.
    Manopausal.

Thread Information