Thread: Suzuki GSX-R600 SRAD, Yes no? Maybe so? To buy or not to buy?

Bike
    1998 Suzuki Gsxr 600 SRAD

Smile Suzuki GSX-R600 SRAD, Yes no? Maybe so? To buy or not to buy?

HELLO
    once again i request your vast knowledge on motorcycles.
    Possibly swapping my 2000 Gsx1200 for this. http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=697903259
    What do i need to know? common problems..things to look for when viewing bike etc.
    The bike has had a different engine put in it ----> http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=690169516
    Basically i just need to know what i should look for in it. and what are tell tale signs of problems any opinions on the bike in general are appreciated.

cheers fulla's

Bike
    CB1300

Suzuki Gsxr600 SRAD, Yes no? Maybe so? To buy or not to buy?

Any time an engine has been swapped pay close attention to any funny looking wiring. A splice is one thing. Lots of them is another and your call.

Also pay to check head bearings, wheel alignment etc. E.g has it been raced / stunted.

If you are confident at that point check all the usual. If you are not a mechanic employ one.

Done right an engine swap is no big deal. Done badly is a money pit. Hard to tell them apart without a mechanic who will do compression tests and check for all sorts of things you would never think of.

Once you and the mechanic are happy VIR. Check the bike but also the engine number. The front desk of the police station has been happy to look up if a bike with that engine number is stolen. It happens. Bike breaks down, bar stool does not want to fix it so they steal similar bike swap engine an presto bike running and no ones the wiser until someone checks the number. Of you update the details the next person can see the engine numbers on their VIR when they do a check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
    Gone
    I used to have one. Not too bad a bike. Things I didn't like about it ar that it felt quite chunky for a 600 an that it had ZERO power in the first 1/3 part of the rev band, had to thrash the tits off it to get going.

Bike
    2007 GSXR 1000
    If you can stretch to the 750 its certainly the better bike. (used to have one long ago before I ran into mr plod)
    Better forks, better brakes, better engine.
    They certainly are big bikes by today's 750 and 600 standards but are still great fun (also a bit comfier in the long haul). There are often good ones for sale on trademe so keep your eyes peeled.
    I felt an emotion bubbling up from the inside.
    It was warm.
    Is coffee an emotion?

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    at those kms, if someone hasnt put money into it, the next guy will.
    That said, if/once the moneys spent, itll go for another hunnit thou.

Bike
    Your mom
    I've got a 1997 600 SRAD, and they're an old bike that will cost you a lot of money to keep on the roads. If you don't mind spending a lot of time and money fixing and maintaining it, they're actually quite a nice bike for the money. Pretty much bulletproof engine and gearbox, but the carbs are a cunt to set up right, and many if not most motorbike mechanics can't do it properly. There's a reason why people from Aussie and England send their SRAD carbs to the USA for one of the gixxer.com forum members to fix.

The cam chain tensioner is shit and prone to failure and even low mileages, but it's probably been replaced by now. In either case it's only around $60-$80 for a new CCT and around 45 minutes of labour so it's not an expensive fix. I suggest you look at spending more money to begin with to get a more modern bike, because you can easily spend a significant amount of the value of an SRAD in a very short space of time.

Thread Information