Thread: New rear tyre - rain

Bike
    08 CB1300,99 BMW F650

New rear tyre - rain

hi guys, I got a new rear tyre yesterday so I have been riding the wifes naked Hornet the past couple of days. I have a dilemma now.

Weather in Welly is supposed to be absolute crap tomorrow, heavy rain and windy. Normally I would take the BMW dual sport because its got a nice screen and isnt fussed by heavy rain, but with the new tyre I am hesitant.

So my choice it Sport bike in crap weather but with worn in tyres

or

BMW F650ST with new rear tyre.

of all the years I have been riding I dont remember ever having to ride a new tyre in the rain before.

would it be very dangerous? or be ok if I am cautious?

TIA

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDarkMatter View Post
    hi guys, I got a new rear tyre yesterday so I have been riding the wifes naked Hornet the past couple of days. I have a dilemma now.

Weather in Welly is supposed to be absolute crap tomorrow, heavy rain and windy. Normally I would take the BMW dual sport because its got a nice screen and isnt fussed by heavy rain, but with the new tyre I am hesitant.

So my choice it Sport bike in crap weather but with worn in tyres

or

BMW F650ST with new rear tyre.

of all the years I have been riding I dont remember ever having to ride a new tyre in the rain before.

would it be very dangerous? or be ok if I am cautious?

TIA
    It always rains when I get new tires, the local tire guy calls me Noah. Just be nice & cautious, smooth and avoid the skiddy bits. I've never had a drama. Yeah, they are a bit slippy but not teflon. My current rear tire is poked & hard, it slips in the wet now far worse than in the rain the day it was fitted. Give it a few trips before you try to get your knee down. The middle is fine, it's the lean dangles that make it twitch.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    '09 Bandit 1250s
    Take the BMW. The tire will be grippy enough in no time for commuting. Do a little burn out to add confidence in its grip. Don't go scrapping pegs in the rain

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Bit of 320 sand paper will bling it up nicely.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    08 CB1300,99 BMW F650

Thumbs up

thanks guys, very much, we are scuffing now lol lol

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Just wear it in more slowly, start with middle, then small amounts of lean, then a little more, and so on. Slippery surfaces will be more pronounced, but just take it easy.

Cheerfully told the mechanics "At least you've scrubbed in the tyres" when I went to pick up my bosses Blackbird one day in the pissing rain. Mechanic says "Nah, fuck that, I'm sure it's OK, but I'm not riding it in the rain with brand new tyres".

Ah... thanks... Took it real gentle and gingerly tip toed back to the office.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    08 CB1300,99 BMW F650
    Hi guys, thanks for all the advice, arrived at work safe, Tyres was ok. did a good scrub of it last night so maybe that helped. I didnt feel it slip at all and it was bucketing down.

Thread Information