Thread: Old XT600 engine into old XT400?

Bike
    1977 suzuki fr50

Old XT600 engine into old XT400?

is it a straight bolt in job?-to me the old xt 400 looks like its really just a xt 550 with a smaller eng capacity....sizewise they look the same-tank,seat,forks,wheels,suspension-what do you reckon?

Bike
    Honda VF750f.
    I reckon you will be able to tell us shortly, if,n ya give it a go.
    For a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him. Keep an open mind, just dont let your brains fall out.

Bike
    2/'79 XR500s, 04 KLX400, 1953CycleMotor
    engine wiil bolt in fine. top end MAY be a bit higher if the stroke is longer, so inlet/exhaust/top mount may not line up.

Bike
    1977 suzuki fr50
    false alarm-auction for said XT 400 went up to nearly 2k-was quite tidy and low km though inspite of being dereg (only 800 res)..........thought that price range would be reserved for 550's?-just as well because I would've stripped it to make my mine look nice had it sat around the 1k mark.Another thumper finds its way to the mount!

Bike
    Street tracker
    Quote Originally Posted by Slorider View Post
    false alarm-auction for said XT 400 went up to nearly 2k-was quite tidy and low km though inspite of being dereg (only 800 res)..........thought that price range would be reserved for 550's?-just as well because I would've stripped it to make my mine look nice had it sat around the 1k mark.Another thumper finds its way to the mount!
    Sounds like a touch of auction fever may have struck!

I was looking forward to hearing how you got on.

Bike
    1977 suzuki fr50
    i'll still get on ok-plenty of xt bits to play with here!.......500cc plus is my 'focus'.......I just saw the potential in that particular 400 as it was so tidy but ended up outa my financial reach. (didn't think a dereg one wld go for so much!) If the 600 eng didn't fit straight in, im sure all the other minty parts it contained wld bolt onto the 550 frame-they look quite identical size wise and then I prob wld of got a 4-5 hundred dollar return on the 400 mtr.In hindsight new owner still got a gd deal even after a revin should he/she put it where it belongs.In all reality these things are too hard to get parts for now-I should really just collect XR 600's instead,more superior imo.........allways want what you havnt got aye!

Thread Information