Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I was looking forward to my Easter ride

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gammaguy View Post
    Not so fast

Quite a few motorcycles including a number of BMW have tubeless spoked wheels
    true dat- but thread is about a specifics, not generalities. The first picture of the original post showed a conventional rim with spoke nipples through the centre of the rim, ergo - tubed tyre.

And I'd still like to see a reference to the illegality of patch repairing a tube for on road use. How is a wof tester supposed to see if the tube is patched?
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Suzuki RG400 Yamaha ST125 Yamaha TDR250
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    true dat- but thread is about a specifics, not generalities. The first picture of the original post showed a conventional rim with spoke nipples through the centre of the rim, ergo - tubed tyre.

And I'd still like to see a reference to the illegality of patch repairing a tube for on road use. How is a wof tester supposed to see if the tube is patched?
    Not to mention most shops charge as much to patch a tube as they do to sell and fit a new tube,the WOF issuing authority informed me on a number of occasions not to patch a tube for road use as the liability would fall on myself if the repair failed.

Since I sold new tubes for $15 it was a no brainer really

And repairing a tube and repairing a tyre are two completely different scenarios
    "more than two strokes is masturbation"
    www.motoparts-online.com

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Well that's not quite the same thing. Liability is on you if you fail to do the repair correctly. But that doesn't mean its illegal.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    98 F650
    opps, been off the nets all week so wasn't following my post. Thanks gammaguy, pete376403, denefoster for your tubed tyre observations and offers of help, if you're happy to share steps on other bike maintenance in the future i'm over in island bay and always willing to share beers. It's all sorted now, at my expense, but I have now educated myself about my tyre type and tube replacement. The 'tubeless' tyre currently fitted had me all fooled . Guess before it happens again (hopefully no time soon ) i should get myself a spare tube to put aside and invest in some tyre levers...and build myself a workshop/garage so that everything doesn't get covered in sand when its in pieces

Bike
    98 F650
    Quote Originally Posted by 400sm View Post
    It's a shame that a puncha stopped your weekend .

A puncture like yours is so easy to fix that every rider should at least know how to do it.

Getting the tyre off the rim will be one of the most difficult things....the other is avoiding pinching the tube on reassembly.

It seems you are thinking of a fix for a tubeless tyre.

IF it aint...
    Pull the nails out, patch the tube, put back it together and go for your ride !

Sounds easy....it aint....only practice will get you there.
    It's an invaluable skill that will save you one day.
    Lucky you got a flat in your shed.....not in the Rainbow!
    Yeah definitely is something I should've been more aware of about my bike and been able to at least attempt a fix.

Learnt up about it since, and watched a video on F650 forum of wheel removal and tube replacement so kinda know how to go about it now.

Don't wanna make a habit of sending my bike off to the shop for small fixes that every rider should be able to do!

Bike
    f800r, hank the postie, tfzr125
    Quote Originally Posted by EmBe View Post
    Yeah definitely is something I should've been more aware of about my bike and been able to at least attempt a fix.

Learnt up about it since, and watched a video on F650 forum of wheel removal and tube replacement so kinda know how to go about it now.

Don't wanna make a habit of sending my bike off to the shop for small fixes that every rider should be able to do!
    If you haven't yet, checkout the maintenance vids from the chain gang;

http://faq.f650.com/dvd/index.htm#DiscImages

Can make you a copy if you're unable to get 'em. They're pretty easy bikes to work on (I put ~25,000kms on one when I lived on a remote island with no bike mechanics)

We're based out in Khandallah, and have a garage full o bikes and tools, if you need wrench space we can certainly spare it for an arvo

(Slight ulterior motive, my partner would love to kick a leg over an F650 to see how she likes it and can handle the weight!)

Thread Information