Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I was looking forward to my Easter ride

Bike
    98 F650

I was looking forward to my Easter ride

I'd planned to head on up to Waitotora tomorrow for a couple of nights with my brother, his wife and my 4month old niece but a little bloody nail has gone and pierced thru my tyre, and oh yay its a long weekend of public holidays, damn you murphy!

Ah well at least i've got beer and chocolate, praise jesus.

general bike related question, can bike tyres just be plugged if it's a small clean puncture? Cos it's only been on for 2 1/2 months with low wear.

Still looking forward to the ride up my first escape from welly on two wheels, next weekend now fingers crossed

actually found a second nail in there too, bloody bloody grr rant rant, don't think it's right thru though but will leave it sitting there just in case

nailed!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flat tyre 063.JPG 
Views:	126 
Size:	275.9 KB 
ID:	296288   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flat tyre 066.JPG 
Views:	103 
Size:	313.7 KB 
ID:	296289   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flat tyre 069.JPG 
Views:	103 
Size:	290.1 KB 
ID:	296290  

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    Two nails, Leave the bike untill you can get the tyre replaced.
    " Rule books are for the Guidance of the Wise, and the Obedience of Fools"

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EmBe View Post
    general bike related question, can bike tyres just be plugged if it's a small clean puncture? Cos it's only been on for 2 1/2 months with low wear.
    Two types of plug. The string one (sticky piece of goo) otherwise called a dog turd is supposed to be a temporary patch to get you home. I've ridden on one for a while with no drama though.

Second, the mushroom, is a proper patch applied by the bike shop. The tyre is removed and patched from the inside. This is a good repair and should last the life of the tyre. However, it can't be applied to every puncture, nor can it be applied near an existing patch. Also, some tyres handle the patches better than others. The Pilot Road 2 is known, due to it's construction, to not always be successful with a patch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Looks like a conventional spoked wheel, probably not a tubeless tyre, so plugging or not is moot.

EmBE - where in Welly are you - I've got a spare 17" tube if you're keen
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    A
    Mushroom patch and it's all good. As for riding this weekend, unless you wanna wash your bike and riding gear whilst riding...enjoy the chocolate and beer, that's what we're doing.

Who called me a fair weather rider??

Bike
    Gone
    Been there, done that on my 2001 GSXR. The repair lasted the lifetime of the tyre http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh.../97456-Oh-shit!

Make sure the repair is carried out correctly with a mushroom plug, and not a 'dog turd' style fix.

Bike
    Suzuki RG400 Yamaha ST125 Yamaha TDR250
    Blog Entries
    If your bike is in fact a BMW F650 then it has tube type tyres,so your issue is in fact a punctured tube,not just the tyre

A qualified person should assess the tyre and check for wire or debris that could remain and pierce the new tube.

All that being well a new tube will be fitted and you are on your way.

And no,you do not patch a tube under any circumstances,it is illegal for road use in NZ anyway
    "more than two strokes is masturbation"
    www.motoparts-online.com

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gammaguy View Post
    If your bike is in fact a BMW F650 then it has tube type tyres,so your issue is in fact a punctured tube,not just the tyre

A qualified person should assess the tyre and check for wire or debris that could remain and pierce the new tube.

And no,you do not patch a tube under any circumstances,it is illegal for road use in NZ anyway
    The trick is finding somebody open and willing to repair it ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...the only thing coming between riding and losing it is a thin line of shit sticking to the tarmac...tyres are not expensive if you think about it...

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries

I mentioned the wheel as pictured was a conventional spoked (therefore tubed) yesterday.
    And, really? Illegal to patch a tube? As of when? If this is true then at least three of the four bike wheels in my shed are committing criminal acts.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    BSA A10
    Since when? tubes have been patched and used on the road in NZ in everything from scooters to Heavy Trucks for as far back as I can remember

Personally I always fit a new tube but I'd have no hesitation in using a patched tube if I had to
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    f800r, hank the postie, tfzr125
    Little late to the party, but I've got a spare tube (off a DRZ400, 17" 150 or so) which should do, some wrenches and a set of tire irons. Providing some beer could probably get it sorted out for you tomorrow eve if you still need a hand

Bike
    2005 Suzuki DR-Z400SMK5
    Quote Originally Posted by EmBe View Post
    I'd planned to head on up to Waitotora tomorrow for a couple of nights with my brother, his wife and my 4month old niece but a little bloody nail has gone and pierced thru my tyre, and oh yay its a long weekend of public holidays, damn you murphy!

Ah well at least i've got beer and chocolate, praise jesus.

Still looking forward to the ride up my first escape from welly on two wheels, next weekend now fingers crossed

actually found a second nail in there too, bloody bloody grr rant rant, don't think it's right thru though but will leave it sitting there just in case

nailed!

It's a shame that a puncha stopped your weekend .

A puncture like yours is so easy to fix that every rider should at least know how to do it.

Getting the tyre off the rim will be one of the most difficult things....the other is avoiding pinching the tube on reassembly.

It seems you are thinking of a fix for a tubeless tyre.

IF it aint...
    Pull the nails out, patch the tube, put back it together and go for your ride !

Sounds easy....it aint....only practice will get you there.
    It's an invaluable skill that will save you one day.
    Lucky you got a flat in your shed.....not in the Rainbow!

Bike
    Suzuki RG400 Yamaha ST125 Yamaha TDR250
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    I mentioned the wheel as pictured was a conventional spoked (therefore tubed) yesterday.
    And, really? Illegal to patch a tube? As of when? If this is true then at least three of the four bike wheels in my shed are committing criminal acts.
    Not so fast

Quite a few motorcycles including a number of BMW have tubeless spoked wheels

And anyone who is WOF certified knows it is illegal to patch a tube in NZ for road use
    "more than two strokes is masturbation"
    www.motoparts-online.com

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Not so fast

Quite a few motorcycles including a number of BMW have tubeless spoked wheels

And anyone who is WOF certified knows it is illegal to patch a tube in NZ for road use
    Bullshit on the tube patching.
    Same thing would have to apply to patching/turding or mushrooming a tyre too then!
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Thread Information