Thread: Bike not used questions/dead rego/LTSA

Bike
    2014 Uuki gw250 with yoshi exhaust :)

Bike not used questions/dead rego/LTSA

Hi All, My mates bike has been off the road for a long while now with electrical issues, and been too lax with it so the rego has lapst, this isnt too much of a worry though, whats more of a worry is the fact is that he had apparently got a letter stating that he owes registration fees on the bike for letting the reg laps and apparently they are handing it over to baycorp to get the money back?? I some how find this to be just scaremongering or just being mis-informed, so if a bike is not used and then laps the 1 year and falls off the system, can LTSA force you to pay the reg that wasnt purchased before the rego died? as far as i know he just has to hand the plates in?? Iv had a few cars in thepast with dead rego's and iv never received any threats like that??

Bike
    raptor 1000
    yes.........

Bike
    Gone
    Unless he filled out the form which gracefully de-registeres the vehicle when handing in the plates, he is liable for rego from the date it lapsed right up until the point where the registration is cancelled due to inactivity (I believe this is 2 years from date lapsed).

At this point he will be liable for 2 years of unpaid rego.

Bike
    huh.. that kinda sucks, I would have thought that because he isnt using the bike he wouldnt have been liable, I knew that if he went to get more license on it that he had to back pay, but this kinda looks like he has been shafted now, and all because he forgot to renew the hold status, and the poor bastard is in no position to pay for anything either

Bike
    raptor 1000
    its not hard to put a rego on hold, they even send you reminders in the mail, trade me is full of dead rego cars that have no value because of having to be revinned because some schmuk couldnt be arsed spending 5 minutes on the computer

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by matrox02 View Post
    Hi All, My mates bike has been off the road for a long while
    my mates dick is yellow and crusty, can you suggest someone to look at him and we'll tell him

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    my mates dick is yellow and crusty, can you suggest someone to look at him and we'll tell him
    Hi there, No, Thats just retarded and pointless.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by JimO View Post
    its not hard to put a rego on hold, they even send you reminders in the mail, trade me is full of dead rego cars that have no value because of having to be revinned because some schmuk couldnt be arsed spending 5 minutes on the computer
    Yeah, it isnt, I can excuse the letter never arriving because he had moved during the bike being on hold, ( I had to trailer the POS ) but he should have been a bit more proactive, too bad he didnt take me up on the offer for the bike back when it was on hold, now instead of having 800 bucks for a 1990's honda jade in shitty condition, he now has unpaid rego fees -_- tough luck for him

Bike
    2005 Z750S
    huh.. that kinda sucks, I would have thought that because he isnt using the bike he wouldnt have been liable, I knew that if he went to get more license on it that he had to back pay, but this kinda looks like he has been shafted now, and all because he forgot to renew the hold status, and the poor bastard is in no position to pay for anything either
    The way they see it, how do they know he wasn't using it? Maybe he used it for "free" for a year and then stopped using it?

The system's tougher now than it once was. I've handed in plates off a dead car, given a sob story, and paid nothing. But I'm old.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    The way they see it, how do they know he wasn't using it? Maybe he used it for "free" for a year and then stopped using it?

The system's tougher now than it once was. I've handed in plates off a dead car, given a sob story, and paid nothing. But I'm old.
    yeah thats true, but int he end, thats what fines and police are for, and hell he sure aint using it if the rego is dead, so i would have thought that they would wipe the need for revenue gathering, I wander what the chances of him getting out of it are, Ill get him to hand in the plates and write a letter in or call them and see if he can get out of it, though im not liking his chances...

thanks otherwise.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    yeah thats true, but int he end, thats what fines and police are for, and hell he sure aint using it if the rego is dead, so i would have thought that they would wipe the need for revenue gathering, I wander what the chances of him getting out of it are, Ill get him to hand in the plates and write a letter in or call them and see if he can get out of it, though im not liking his chances...

thanks otherwise.
    The money due is the responsibility of the registered owner at the time the rego expired. Any NEW owner is NOT responsible for the PREVIOUS owners debt.

Buy (acquire) the bike ... register it in YOUR name ... bike is legal again. Sell and take your cut (or not) ..
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    SWM RS 650R
    Um if you register it one or two weeks late you are required to pay the backdated rego, so whats the difference in this case?

If he asks nicely they may be leniant.
    I mentioned vegetables once, but I think I got away with it...........

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    The money due is the responsibility of the registered owner at the time the rego expired. Any NEW owner is NOT responsible for the PREVIOUS owners debt.

Buy (acquire) the bike ... register it in YOUR name ... bike is legal again. Sell and take your cut (or not) ..
    Nah Not worth it, when it first stopped running and i knew that he wouldnt get it fixed I offered him then money for the bike, but he said nope and put it on hold for 3 months, then moved 2 months later and forgot to refresh, now 2 months ago the rego fell off the system, so A its deregistered, and B its still not running, its a 92?? honda jade thats in rough condition,needs the front brakes over hauled and new regulator and battery and the fork seals replaced and a rear tire, so...not really worth the space its taking up anywhere...if it still had a live rego on hold, I may have offered 500 bucks for it because I feel sorry for his situation, but, nah, its too far gone to bother with, Unless I just pay his debt for the rego off and pull the engine for another bike ( mc17/19/22 honda cbr ) and sell that, its completely worthless

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    Um if you register it one or two weeks late you are required to pay the backdated rego, so whats the difference in this case?

If he asks nicely they may be leniant.
    the diferance is that its now deregistered, meaning he would need to take it through compliance again should he somehow get it fixed

Thread Information