Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: KTM backup

Bike
    GSXR750, KTM350EXCF
    Quote Originally Posted by 10bikekid View Post
    I like the guys a spectrum and use them for all my dirt bikes and singles, but not sure I would be keen on them working on an ADV RC8 twin? it takes about 4hrs to get to the heads for a valve check then you have to put it all together again ( might sus them out next time I'm down there to see how confident they are)

BTW rode a friends 350F at Woodhill the other day it was pretty cool
    well they do all the big kawakas so i would think they know what they are doing.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BoristheBiter View Post
    How they are meant to be ridden.
    Yeah, but as an ex-owner (not the adventure) they don't show you what happens after you'd ridden it like that... it involves the dealer grinning...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    GSXR750, KTM350EXCF
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Yeah, but as an ex-owner (not the adventure) they don't show you what happens after you'd ridden it like that... it involves the dealer grinning...
    That's why its good to do your own work.
    (or get free bikes)

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    it involves the dealer grinning...
    And pain, lotsa pain.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    And pain, lotsa pain.
    The line I kept hearing was something like - I've never seen that before / Never seen that happen

This is when they're servicing top race dirt bikes, and I'm the one with knackered suspension not moving properly, oil turned to sludge etc, parts breaking. Granted, a race bike should be pulled apart more frequently.

First service at 1k was slightly under a grand, because I had them pull apart the front suspension, badly setup from factory. Service costs never really seemed to get better... I think the cheapest service was $666
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    GSXR750, KTM350EXCF
    The line I kept hearing was something like - I've never seen that before / Never seen that happen

This is when they're servicing top race dirt bikes, and I'm the one with knackered suspension not moving properly, oil turned to sludge etc, parts breaking. Granted, a race bike should be pulled apart more frequently.

First service at 1k was slightly under a grand, because I had them pull apart the front suspension, badly setup from factory. Service costs never really seemed to get better... I think the cheapest service was $666
    That is just shit service. should have been covered under warranty. I don't know where you got it serviced but when I had faults with mine they fixed it all free, even the the bent radiator (i dropped it) because the thermostat was hitting it and had dented the fins.

Happily I can say I have never had it quite that bad.
    I have had a shop take both bikes in for a service, tell me one needed new chain and sprocket (i did know they needed doing) only to find out, when I got there, that they had changed the other bikes chain.
    So not only did they miss my chain and sprockets, the headlight bulb and side stand fault that i had told them about, they didn't tighten the sump plug up (oil over garage) they over oiled my air filter (oil over garage) and didn't even set the correct tension on the new chain.
    Oh and charged me for a new spark plug (when I serviced next i found the broken spark plug still in)

I have done my own work since then.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    I think the cheapest service was $666
    Aye. But for me, riding 200kg 'venture bikes like a slightly tubby MX bike just means plain ol' ordinary pain pain.

Attempted murder is the term that springs to mind...

Bike
    KTM 1190 Adv R and a bunch of dirties
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    Aye. But for me, riding 200kg 'venture bikes like a slightly tubby MX bike just means plain ol' ordinary pain pain.

Attempted murder is the term that springs to mind...
    Excellent troll!

Seriously, If you get a chance to ride a 1190 then you are in for a reset.
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    To be honest, this thread has made it obvious that despite how great the riding experience is on the KTM, it would not make it to the 86,000km mark like my V Strom has with only the usual maintenance items. Correct me if I am wrong?
    I am not going to be thrashing it through the forest like Chris Birch, but I am going to expect some long hard days two up without shit breaking. Sub frames esp!
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Think you are looking at the misses seat the wrong way.

I'd be considering the best bike I could afford that suits my/our intended use and then considering what would be required to remodel/replace the seat (if required) to suit the loved one. Foot-pegs can be relocated if needed as well.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, thanks Allan, I have considered that too but also aware that I could move up to a bmw and not have issues at all. Just going by reviews and what people have said on here so far. Still hoping to get a demo ride in early next week! I am pretty competant mechanically but would rather have a bike to ride, not work on or fix. Will check out a couple of forums and get another bunch of owners perspectives. At least these machines have been around long enough to have clocked up some k,s and shown up their faults.
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    Yeah, thanks Allan, I have considered that too but also aware that I could move up to a bmw and not have issues at all. Just going by reviews and what people have said on here so far. Still hoping to get a demo ride in early next week! I am pretty competant mechanically but would rather have a bike to ride, not work on or fix. Will check out a couple of forums and get another bunch of owners perspectives. At least these machines have been around long enough to have clocked up some k,s and shown up their faults.

I've done just under 90k on my R1200GSA in 40 months. One broken thingie in a headlight, took 2 replacements to get a working one. Ordered parts (quite extensively thanks to one uh... tumble) and one accessory switch block I was after, needed 4 switches until I got 2 that worked. Final drive seal that's supposed to be long lasting and I'm on my 5th I think. Spoke to one owner with a few more km done, he's on the original. Brake rotors varying in thickness after 40-50k, an aftermarket replacement set I've done 10k on and they're varying now too.

Suspension can't be serviced, no service interval. You buy a new set (quoted price was $4800 +GST +fitting) and then another new set as required. The cost of electronic suspension. Ohlins was actually cheaper and serviceable (which I'll need to arrange shortly). It's left me stranded once (fortunately at home, a few weeks ago) and when the shop got around to it a few days later... it starts fine. However, I've thrown way more crazy stuff at the BMW and I couldn't imagine another bike taking it like the BMW has...

Pros and cons. It's fantastic to ride, does exactly what I want and I love it. The con. Not quite a queen like the KTM, but it's no UJM either.

Bike
    Austrian and Italian
    I don't think you'd have any trouble with the KTM. I don't think you should be expecting anything out of the ordinary maintenance wise.
    Having had KTM and BMW - from a maintenance perspective I wouldn't lean either way in particular. Both have been great.

Just remember how the internet works - take away everything you read knowing that you're hearing the squeaky wheel story. You're far more likely to find complaints on the internet, skewing your perception.

Bike
    KTM 950ADV,DR750,APRILIA TUONO ,YZ290F
    Blog Entries

I've done just under 90k on my R1200GSA in 40 months. One broken thingie in a headlight, took 2 replacements to get a working one. Ordered parts (quite extensively thanks to one uh... tumble) and one accessory switch block I was after, needed 4 switches until I got 2 that worked. Final drive seal that's supposed to be long lasting and I'm on my 5th I think. Spoke to one owner with a few more km done, he's on the original. Brake rotors varying in thickness after 40-50k, an aftermarket replacement set I've done 10k on and they're varying now too.

Suspension can't be serviced, no service interval. You buy a new set (quoted price was $4800 +GST +fitting) and then another new set as required. The cost of electronic suspension. Ohlins was actually cheaper and serviceable (which I'll need to arrange shortly). It's left me stranded once (fortunately at home, a few weeks ago) and when the shop got around to it a few days later... it starts fine. However, I've thrown way more crazy stuff at the BMW and I couldn't imagine another bike taking it like the BMW has...

Pros and cons. It's fantastic to ride, does exactly what I want and I love it. The con. Not quite a queen like the KTM, but it's no UJM either.
    Impressive K's you done there in such a short time, bit of saddle time and obviously having a comfortable bike would pay big diffidence there

If we weren't so rebellious we would all be riding these things or optionally the Yamaha, I friend of my did major research for his North to South Conquest of the Americas and said it came out tops for functionality, he wasn't looking for personality mind you, which admittedly would be small comfort somewhere on the side of the road in New Mexico

My rides are only in NZ so can live with personality much easier

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    Balance, dude. Ask about problems and you'll get answers about problems, google any device at all and the first 10 pages are all bleats about faults.

My brother had exactly the same machine as Gremlin's, sold it last year after the ABS unit shat itself at a cost of $4500, the last of a reasnably long list of issues, not the least of which was a lack of support at dealer level. He won't own another BMW.

A friend has a 990SD and appart from oil changes has mistreated it horribly from berth and absolutely can't kill it.

Ballance. If you want something reliable stick with the Suzuki or some other UJM and save your money, just don't expect the ultimate in jollies.

Thread Information