View Poll Results: Has a CBTA assessor checked your bike's LAMS compliance? Or has a cop checked?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • I've never been pulled over while on my learner's or restricted

34 59.65%
  • No

12 21.05%
  • Yes

15 26.32%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do cops ever check your bike's LAMS compliance?

Bike
    Triumph Bonneville 208
    Quote Originally Posted by biketimus_prime View Post
    Is it possible to ride a bigger bike that isn't LAMS approved and still have insurance on it even though you're on your learners?
    I know it sounds stupid but I'm genuinely curious as it may not be legal to ride in the eyes of the law, but so is not having registration on your bike and you can still be insured and get paid out in a claim...
    I have crashed the car with no wof an it was my fault an insurance still paid out on mine, his and the other that got in the way. No regd and no woof is not a problem unless they find yr vehicle is not wof compliant.
    [/U]

Bike
    1998 Suzuki TL1000R
    Buy CBR600RR. Take a nice ride to the post shop, "Hey, my bike has the incorrect rego name, it should be CBR250, not 600.."

Alright sweet *prints new rego*.

Win at life.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Driftmonkey View Post
    Buy CBR600RR. Take a nice ride to the post shop, "Hey, my bike has the incorrect rego name, it should be CBR250, not 600.."

Alright sweet *prints new rego*.

Win at life.
    Yeup, cop then picks it up, and you're now up for fraud charges.

Or, you pay insurance, an incident occurs (your fault or not) insurance spots the issue, claim denied.

Yep, win... for anyone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    1998 Suzuki TL1000R
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Yeup, cop then picks it up, and you're now up for fraud charges.

Or, you pay insurance, an incident occurs (your fault or not) insurance spots the issue, claim denied.

Yep, win... for anyone else.
    You're right on the insurance front of things, cop part however. I'm not too sure. From my experience, many cops don't know what they're looking for when it comes to vehicles. Had one pull a friend up and pull off a loose terminal and say that the battery could implode at any given second with the terminal loose like that.

Or could just master the almighty 250 first and wait patiently for full license. That's a little easier.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Driftmonkey View Post
    ...Had one pull a friend up and pull off a loose terminal and say that the battery could implode at any given second with the terminal loose like that.

Or could just master the almighty 250 first and wait patiently for full license. That's a little easier.
    Well, a bike in Chch went up in flames when wire chatted to frame... Implode not common, but don't mess with electricity.

You don't have to have a 250 either... plenty of bikes available up to 660cc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Scorpio, 2008
    It's so tedious finding a good >250cc Trade Me bike that's LAMS compliant. One has to manually search through the approved list, pick a model, run a search on TM, then find that there are none in your area or in NZ at all, or that the model returned is one letter off. I gave up and am waiting on my full so I don't have to deal with all that. Just a few months now....

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ELectronicFlesh View Post
    It's so tedious finding a good >250cc Trade Me bike that's LAMS compliant. One has to manually search through the approved list, pick a model, run a search on TM, then find that there are none in your area or in NZ at all, or that the model returned is one letter off. I gave up and am waiting on my full so I don't have to deal with all that. Just a few months now....
    first world problems.

Bike
    Your mom
    Quote Originally Posted by strumpet View Post
    I have crashed the car with no wof an it was my fault an insurance still paid out on mine, his and the other that got in the way. No regd and no woof is not a problem unless they find yr vehicle is not wof compliant.
    [/U]
    They can't deny a claim just because the vehicle is not WOF compliant if it doesn't have a current WOF. They have to be able to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the defect(s) contibuted to a crash. For example, a damaged seatbelt in the passenger's seat isn't going to cause a crash.

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEU View Post
    They have to be able to prove beyond a reasonable doubt
    Are you a barista?
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    Your mom
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    Are you a barista?
    Not at all.

Bike
    > 1 < 10
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    Are you a barista?
    nah.......hes a responsible meth user
    ***** POLITICIANS *****
    People Of Little Integrity Thieving Innocent Citizens Incomes And Need Shooting

*******KASPA*******
    Knavery Artificial Spurious Pretentious Arseholes

Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEU View Post
    They can't deny a claim just because the vehicle is not WOF compliant if it doesn't have a current WOF. They have to be able to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the defect(s) contibuted to a crash. For example, a damaged seatbelt in the passenger's seat isn't going to cause a crash.
    Not beyond reasonable doubt, it's not a criminal trial here. Just on the balance of probabilities. But they don't work that hard on this issue - it's usually pretty clear if a defect contributed to an accident. Funnily enough only a very VERY tiny minority of accidents are caused by vehicle defects.

Bike
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 RR
    I'd be pretty surprised if a slip on made much of a performance enhancement to one of those 250s. But the real joke with LAMS is the way the increasing power of 250s was used as a reason for bringing in the system. All the 250s on the banned list have been out of production for well over 10 years. Most for almost 20 years. Given the short life of two strokes I'd be surprised if there were many still running and I suspect most that are would be owned by nostalgics who still remember when proddy racing was all the go. Having said that, I think the new system offers much more flexibility for learners than the old system.

Bike
    Ducati M696
    I never got checked or even pulled over when I was on learners/restricted but as has been said you ride outside the rules, you ride without insurance.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Larksea View Post
    you ride outside the rules, you ride without insurance.
    yes, i do both of those, whats your point

Thread Information