View Poll Results: Has a CBTA assessor checked your bike's LAMS compliance? Or has a cop checked?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • I've never been pulled over while on my learner's or restricted

34 59.65%
  • No

12 21.05%
  • Yes

15 26.32%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do cops ever check your bike's LAMS compliance?

Bike
    Scorpio, 2008

Question Do cops ever check your bike's LAMS compliance?

Has this ever, or ever not, happened to you guys?

Also, have you ever had a CBTA assessor check?

Bike
    TF125
    Does your scorpio have a couple of turbos or summat?

Bike
    Scorpio, 2008
    That bike's been written off. I'm on an 89' ZXR 250 for the moment.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by ELectronicFlesh View Post
    That bike's been written off. I'm on an 89' ZXR 250 for the moment.
    Even a ZXR ain't going to be checked unless he hears the rattle of a set of last slide carbs AND smells Methanol fumes... Or you fail the attitude test.
    Those lil fours sound great but even on a good day I think they'd struggle to bust the lams ratios

Bike
    1994 RVF400R
    Why would he check your bike since its under 250cc anyways?

Ive been pulled over a few times, they have never mentioned LAMs compliance at all.

Bike
    2015 DRZ400SM, 2010 R1
    Is it possible to ride a bigger bike that isn't LAMS approved and still have insurance on it even though you're on your learners?
    I know it sounds stupid but I'm genuinely curious as it may not be legal to ride in the eyes of the law, but so is not having registration on your bike and you can still be insured and get paid out in a claim...

Bike
    '09 Bandit 1250s
    Quote Originally Posted by biketimus_prime View Post
    Is it possible to ride a bigger bike that isn't LAMS approved and still have insurance on it even though you're on your learners?
    I know it sounds stupid but I'm genuinely curious as it may not be legal to ride in the eyes of the law, but so is not having registration on your bike and you can still be insured and get paid out in a claim...

Not licensed to operate the vehicle, therefore no insurance. Try get insured to drive a truck and trailer without a truck licence.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    yeah. Funnily enough the 750 isnt on the list.

Bike
    2007 GSXR 1000
    While still on learners or restricted I would't really be too worried about the police checking your LAM's compliance unless your riding something that looks like it shouldn't be learner legal (like one of those GSXR600U's if you could even get one here).
    What you should concern yourself with is making sure you are compliant for insurance purposes because you can be damn'd sure that if you have a crash they will be looking your bike over with a fine tooth comb to find a reason to not pay out.
    I felt an emotion bubbling up from the inside.
    It was warm.
    Is coffee an emotion?

Bike
    bandit
    Apparently, two out of every five bike riders are doing something wrong - - like riding with no licence, riding the wrong bike for the licence, riding non-compliant LAMS bikes, not registered, not warranted ... bald tyres ... lights not wrking ...

So for a cop getting behind on his quota, stopping a bike (even if they can't see anything wrong) means there's a 40 per cent chance of writing a ticket ... That's why they stop bikes more than cars .. and on a random basis ..

It's just not worth the hassle .. be legal or you will get caught .. sooner or later ..
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    R1200GSA
    So how often do people/drivers/riders get pulled over? Unless you give them specific reason, can the cops do random stops? Where I grew up we got stopped and searched all the time but that was for reasons other than alleged traffic offences.
    I was stopped one evening last week by the lads operating the booze bus and got the 'count to 5' breath test. First time ever in my life been breathalysed. Apart from that never been pulled in NZ, never been asked for my licence. I see flashing lights and pissed off drivers/riders all the time but assumed they have done something to bring themselves to the attention of the popo. Am curious.
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    bandit
    I've been stopped a couple of times at "random" stops - yes cops here can stop you to check licence, rego and WOF ....
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    CB1300

Do cops ever check your bike's LAMS compliance?

LAMS was brought in to address the needs of the modern rider and pressure from lobby groups.
    The intent is to give you more freedom along with some guidance on appropriate power levels for your experience level.

If too many people attempt to skirt this revised system the result will be a return to the old system as it becomes to difficult to proceed with LAMS.

Seriously as a group we are our own worst enemies. Don't be in a rush to get on a more powerful bike. Many think because they get away with it once they are competent. There is a reason even some 250s are excluded on the lams lists.
    And a reason acc levies are so high.
    And a reason insurance is so harsh on learners.

Get it wrong and the cops will be the least of your worries.

Stupid phone / Tapatalk, apologies in advance.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulsterkiwi View Post
    So how often do people/drivers/riders get pulled over? Unless you give them specific reason, can the cops do random stops?
    Cops can stop anyone any time when they're driving/riding.

Haven't been stopped in some time, but I'm sure I set some sort of record when I went through 5-7 breath checkpoints in one night (including one right around the corner from another). It miiight have been because it was Christmas or New Years Eve
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650
    Quote Originally Posted by Banditbandit View Post
    hat's why they stop bikes more than cars .. and on a random basis ..
    Is this correct? Doesn't seem right to me - bikes hardly ever seem to get stopped. I've never been stopped on my bike, and been stopped many times in my cars.

Thread Information