Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Transamerica Trail - planning phaze

Bike
    crf250,excf250,09 690r

Thumbs up

Vege,make sure you order replacement tyres ahead of time ,as fucking hard to find duel sport tyres on the TAt,most bike shops we went into didn't have a clue .there;s a good ktm/kwaka dealer in little rock AK that sorted us out with chains/sprockets and tyres and even rebuilt the klr that was with us overnight under warranty.
    also re the tat,hancock pass is not included on the maps,as to many complaints from the GS crowd(Sam' words) but is well worth doing,when you hit salida,head towards Saint Elmos and the start of hancock (piece of piss)
    pm if you want any info

Bike
    '08 KTM 690E
    Quote Originally Posted by richyrich View Post
    Vege,make sure you order replacement tyres ahead of time ,as fucking hard to find duel sport tyres on the TAt,most bike shops we went into didn't have a clue .there;s a good ktm/kwaka dealer in little rock AK that sorted us out with chains/sprockets and tyres and even rebuilt the klr that was with us overnight under warranty.
    also re the tat,hancock pass is not included on the maps,as to many complaints from the GS crowd(Sam' words) but is well worth doing,when you hit salida,head towards Saint Elmos and the start of hancock (piece of piss)
    pm if you want any info
    thanks for the headsup on the hancock pass - I don't want to miss out because some woosies can't ride their big bikes. Also good thought on the tyres...I was planning on riding the E07 rear, and MT21 front...as I know they can do that distance, and I have had good experience on what terrain they will work on...plus they last forever. What tyres did you have. I personally know the TKC don't last very well at all, mt21 rears last better, e07 amazing life...and I have got through some shit stuff on them...

rebuild the KLR sounds rather bad, and probably unusual...what happened there.
    ...back in the saddle, and getting a little!

Bike
    92 R80 GS
    We ran Mitas E09 rear and Pirrelli Scorpion Rally front to Moab.Then changed to Dunlop 606's for the 2nd half. the tyres werent worn out but fresh rubber is good when you need it. I know people run things like E07's but I wouldnt. The roads over there are mainly dirt, not much metal and when it rains they get REAL slick. Some impassable as mud builds on the tyres until they wont go around. Fred at Arrowhead Motorsports carries a range of tyres. http://www.angelfire.com/ut/moab/ Call ahead and book some then call a coupole days out to book in to change them. We did an oil change there while he swapped tyres. Good bloke

Bike
    '08 KTM 690E
    Quote Originally Posted by Phreaky Phil View Post
    We ran Mitas E09 rear and Pirrelli Scorpion Rally front to Moab.Then changed to Dunlop 606's for the 2nd half. the tyres werent worn out but fresh rubber is good when you need it. I know people run things like E07's but I wouldnt. The roads over there are mainly dirt, not much metal and when it rains they get REAL slick. Some impassable as mud builds on the tyres until they wont go around. Fred at Arrowhead Motorsports carries a range of tyres. http://www.angelfire.com/ut/moab/ Call ahead and book some then call a coupole days out to book in to change them. We did an oil change there while he swapped tyres. Good bloke
    sounds like good advice, when I'm going into the unknown I do normally ride a full MT21 front and rear just to have thatt extra grip in case things turn to shit...so it sounds like it did get shitty. Planning the oil change at the same time and having someone that has already been endorsed helps...

Bike
    KTM690ER, KTM950SER
    Blog Entries
    I didn't find the availability of tyres a problem - I always use a D606 on the front and then something reasonably hard wearing on the back - if you are going in late summer the main issue is going to be the wear rate - I found the Mefo super explorer (140/80-18) to be a great tyre and would use them here if I could find them. A bit like the Heidenau K60 but better grip and probably better wear. Fred Hink in Moab stocks them.
    Cheers
    JC

Bike
    '08 KTM 690E
    thanks...and that was my viewpoint as well. Something sticky/grippy on the front ie 606, MT21, scorpion....and something long wearing on the rear. I had heidinau k60 before, and while they wore really well...they let me down because they were so god damn stiff in the sidewall, whereas the e09's at least flexed when air was let out. I got 'delayed' on a grass slope with k60's, even with no pressure left in the tyre. On a trail ride in the akatarawas I went past people on hard pack, wet clay, and got up steep mud grass on the E09's...

I've seed the mefo's and yes they are very similar to k60's, so I will do some more testing(as I have a year to do so) and make my decision..either way, sounds like there is the opportunity to swap midway which is great to know.

feedback is great...so thanks to all.

Bike
    KTM 640 Enduro
    Re tyres, unlike here, in the USA you can get the D606 rears to fit the LC4 - I scored one once & found it gripped as well as the MT21 but lasted heaps better. Was thinking seriously about ordering in a few of them but then discovered the Motoz which is as good & cheaper.

Keeping a good eye on all the stuff like chains, sprockets, tyres, wheelbearings on a long trip can save a lot of stress. Catch that stuff before it's an issue & you can just call ahead to somewhere you'll be in a couple of days & have it waiting for a quick pit stop. Mind you, freshen up all that before you go & tyres should be the only thing you need to worry about.

It is real nice to be on your own bike, I enjoyed that in OZ. However I'm giving serious thought to buying something in the US in a few years, & doing a few separate expeditions. Low km's 640's are pretty affordable & there's too much to see in just one trip...

Cheers
    Clint

Bike
    2/'79 XR500s, 04 KLX400, 1953CycleMotor
    How do you get the compulsory insurance if you own your own machine in the US? would love to tackle TAT and other routes too, over a few trips in the next few years.

Bike
    KTM690ER, KTM950SER
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzz67 View Post
    How do you get the compulsory insurance if you own your own machine in the US? would love to tackle TAT and other routes too, over a few trips in the next few years.
    Insurance for your own bike isn't a problem and can be arranged here before you go - I used Progressive - one of the bigger US companies - took out a year's policy about US$800 and then got a refund when I got back - total cost for insurance for 10 weeks US$150. That was one of the more expensive covers that included roadside assistance/recovery but they are all available over the web. You need a US address for it to work but if you are shipping with Mainfreight then you can use the Kiwi Shipping address - policy waiting along with the bike.
    Cheers
    JC

Bike
    KTM690ER, KTM950SER
    Blog Entries
    Hi Vegeman
    The more I think about it the more I want to do it again - keep posting your plans and let us know if you want some company?
    Cheers
    JC

Bike
    Triumph XC 800
    Blog Entries
    I was over the first of the year and spent some time with Sam C...the TAT MAN. Sam and I are old friends and go back to racing days..many, many years ago.....

He informed me that he is considering re-routing the Western end . That would put you missing Nevada, California, and Oregon...

There has been some issues with the Bureau of Land Management ,,which manages National Property..in those states.

So, in the future the trip will turn North, taking you through Montana and ending at the Canadian border...

It's still going to be a very good trip..you won't be missing out on much!

fyi.

Wade
    "Those who hammer there guns into plow shears will plow for those who do not" Thomas Jefferson

Bike
    Triumph XC 800
    Blog Entries
    I am going back to the states for 6 months next year.....

No telling what motorbike mischief I might get into......
    "Those who hammer there guns into plow shears will plow for those who do not" Thomas Jefferson

Bike
    '08 KTM 690E
    Quote Originally Posted by GPS MAN View Post
    I was over the first of the year and spent some time with Sam C...the TAT MAN. Sam and I are old friends and go back to racing days..many, many years ago.....

He informed me that he is considering re-routing the Western end . That would put you missing Nevada, California, and Oregon...

There has been some issues with the Bureau of Land Management ,,which manages National Property..in those states.

So, in the future the trip will turn North, taking you through Montana and ending at the Canadian border...

It's still going to be a very good trip..you won't be missing out on much!

fyi.

Wade
    interesting indeed. I just forwarded an email of to Sam about getting the routes now (for planning purposes) and then hope I can get a free update next year when it's time to do it for real.

Do you think this updated route will happen by then?

Bike
    Buell XB12X 'Black Betty'
    Contact Jeff Larson @ Mainfreight, Wellington. $3k will see you nz-la-nz, then its up to you how you get to the kickoff point. If its just CO then enjoy a ride out that way maybe? 3-4 days easy on the I system, little longer on B roads.
    Its still a great experience if you have never been there.

California Pass, CO --
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	k2013. California Pass, Cololrado.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	656.6 KB 
ID:	299921  
    I'm no gynaecologist, however I would be happy to take a look......................

Bike
    '08 KTM 690E
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatijim View Post
    Contact Jeff Larson @ Mainfreight, Wellington. $3k will see you nz-la-nz, then its up to you how you get to the kickoff point. If its just CO then enjoy a ride out that way maybe? 3-4 days easy on the I system, little longer on B roads.
    Its still a great experience if you have never been there.

California Pass, CO --
    Cheers for that...thinking about umopom (JC) comment about perhaps doing the loop from LA to mid west and then back over via the TAT...might save the hassle cost of shipping the bike to TN...hmmm...decisions, decisions. Half of me still wants to do the full thing, half of me wants to the cool bits in the middle without the far west stuff, and the half is indecisive :-D

I'll see what Sam comes back, Festy still hasn't completely committed to the trip yet...but I think by the beginning of next year, I want it all locked down on what, where and who is involved, as that should make help sway the decision process.

12 months to go.

Thread Information