Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Transamerica Trail - planning phaze

Bike
    uKTM Tiger 800xc
    coming together nicely Veg!

Hope you planning on regular ride reports with heaps of pics for all your adoring fans?
    ....wherezz that track go

Bike
    '08 KTM 690E
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
    coming together nicely Veg!

Hope you planning on regular ride reports with heaps of pics for all your adoring fans?
    That's also on the plan...I've just bought a small windows transformer PC from ASUS (T100). Really neat machine as its a touchscreen tablet with a solid keyboard attachment option. This ensures that I have USB ports as well as the standard MicroSD so connecting cameras, phones and even the 690 to a computer is easy.

That computer is small like a netbook, with great battery life...but is also a full windows 8.1 machine meaning software and app's are easy to install etc.

I have basecamp running for managing maps, have already downloaded all the US maps from the http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/
    All GPSkevin tracks and waypoints
    EFI/mapping software and cable for connecting bike

so its all going well...
    ...back in the saddle, and getting a little!

Bike
    '08 KTM 690E

Well...this is a bastard!. Warning...photos make make your squeemish

What a bastard indeed.

Because I am having some time off to get stuff done and prepare for my trip, I've been helping people out...and this time, it has caught me out.

A mate wanted his boy to buy a here in Wellington and since they live in Auckalofa, they asked if I could ride it, check it, do the money transfer and then help send it on bike transport....because I'm a good guy, I said yes.

The short version of the story is that we completed the transaction and was lifting the bike on the trailer (WR250). We didn't have a ramp so did the ol' MX lift by getting the front wheel on first and then lifting the rear. Me and the seller were doing well until he pushed and I lifted and !@#$%^...my thumb got caught in one of the fucking sharp holes on the sprocket and the swingarm...BAM, and the clean chop was done.

Being my right hand and right thumb...it couldn't have been a more important finger. I found the bit and got driven to hospital relatively quickly...yet they were very busy. It was deemed that the amount of finger missing was marginal in its length for reattachment so want to crimp it off during surgery later on.

Fortunately, the delay in surgery gave me and the Doctors some time to talk, and since the finger was amputated clean off a few mm's above the nail bed...I really wanted to try and keep the nail. A ugly nail is still better than no nail. The first plan was to make it a bit shorter still and give me a nub without the nail...but the agreed process based on more learnings of how amazing the finger is at healing...we have opted for a slower, more painful process which is to let it heal itself!. They reckon, that because I'm a non-smoker, healthy, and still have nail bed...it should regrow enough.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-05-27 11.13.51 finger1.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	313180  

Bike
    Buell XB12X 'Black Betty'
    Well bugger.
    I'm no gynaecologist, however I would be happy to take a look......................

Bike
    uKTM Tiger 800xc
    yikes ....bad luck seems to coincide with KTM ownership I've discovered, by contrast though, your fortunate not to be a professional hitch hiker

Bike
    '08 KTM 690E
    nothing to do with KTM' bro...stinking WR's!

BUT while this has put everything on hold...it is growing. That photo was from 5 weeks ago now. check out the growth rings. I'm a bloody salamander

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-06-03 08.30.19 finger2.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	72.7 KB 
ID:	313192
    week 1

Name:	2015-06-10 08.31.42 finger 3.jpg 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	313190
    week 2

Name:	2015-06-22 09.04.55 finger 4.5.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	313191
    week 3

They said that the finger is amazing at growing, you just need to keep it in these modern dressings that act like a second skin. It keeps all the fluid and goodness to help grow skin/flesh, it allows vapour (and odour) to escape so it can breath etc.

While it's bummer....I do heal well - I've had enough practise at it!!!

Bike
    uKTM Tiger 800xc
    what if it grows back longer? will that mean new gloves Veg of just 1 thumbless one?

Bike
    2007 KTM 990 Adventure
    Ouch!

Hope the recovery is quick and as pain free as it can be (I bet you are popping some big pills!)

Bike
    Wrrrrrr

Bugger

Can't imagine the pain that really must have hurt, had a couple of minor cuts on my thumb while away on bike recently in OZ which took two weeks to even start healing and made everything a Bastod to do on the bike or simply banging them was bad enough. Similar story had to do it before I was 50 and the wife said go for it, good luck with the recovery and realizing your dreams.

Bike
    '08 KTM 690E
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
    what if it grows back longer? will that mean new gloves Veg of just 1 thumbless one?
    I'll trim the Alpinestar gortex glove, or the finger...what ever causes the less pain. Somehow I don't think length is going to be the problem!.

If anything, it should be close to being the same length or a fraction shorter. When the tidied the thumb up in the surgery...the basically nibbled the bone down a bit further as the cut was so clean, the fleshy sides couldn't cover the bone. With the bone now a bit shorter, the could throw a few stitches in there to pull the sides together so that the bone would have some protection, and ultimately, aid in the healing.

The only positive thing is that having a shorther thumb makes my cock look like it has more girth ...hah!!!

Bike
    '08 KTM 690E
    Quote Originally Posted by young1 View Post
    Ouch!

Hope the recovery is quick and as pain free as it can be (I bet you are popping some big pills!)
    yeah...thanks for that. While it has been sore, i don't think its the worst pain I've had. I think because it was all trimmed off in a microsecond, the body seems to know how to cope. Interestingly though, just panadol and ibuprofen have worked fantastically.
    I tried other stuff, but really didn't make much difference...and bourbon is better BUT just gotter be careful when going to grab for a refill.

Bike
    '08 KTM 690E
    Quote Originally Posted by pomgolian View Post
    Can't imagine the pain that really must have hurt, had a couple of minor cuts on my thumb while away on bike recently in OZ which took two weeks to even start healing and made everything a Bastod to do on the bike or simply banging them was bad enough. Similar story had to do it before I was 50 and the wife said go for it, good luck with the recovery and realizing your dreams.
    Fanx...I think I'm used to being in pain...for one, I'm married with kids :-D. The first week, I had it bandaged heaps to protect it, but during the second week, I seemed to instinctively grab too many times, especailly during the night. I think I must twitch, grab and flinch throughout the night and wake myself up, and bandages didn't help due to be simply moving it against the dressings.

In a wierd way, I'm pleased they didn't try and stitch the bit back on, as I reckon I would have whacked it off by now.

It's highly likely that the TAT won't happen this year, as the timing is all going out the window BUT, like yourself, I have a mate in Aussie who said come over, ride his bikes and have a smaller adventure over there, so as soon as I am able...I'll go over there.

Where did you go?, was Aussie good...or just really, really big.

Bike
    Wrrrrrr
    Quote Originally Posted by vegeman View Post
    Fanx...I think I'm used to being in pain...for one, I'm married with kids :-D. The first week, I had it bandaged heaps to protect it, but during the second week, I seemed to instinctively grab too many times, especailly during the night. I think I must twitch, grab and flinch throughout the night and wake myself up, and bandages didn't help due to be simply moving it against the dressings.

In a wierd way, I'm pleased they didn't try and stitch the bit back on, as I reckon I would have whacked it off by now.

It's highly likely that the TAT won't happen this year, as the timing is all going out the window BUT, like yourself, I have a mate in Aussie who said come over, ride his bikes and have a smaller adventure over there, so as soon as I am able...I'll go over there.

Where did you go?, was Aussie good...or just really, really big.
    Me too 4 of the suckers (kids that is) Sydney, Bathurst, inland north, Byron Bay, then west in a straightish wiggly route to the west coast, just wanted to see a few highlights, on the way, yes its a huge interesting place, roads are long and straight, had a route planned but no stops planned so rode as long as i wanted then looked for a camp before dark, longest day 810 kms, think if i was with a group i would have free camped more than i did but enjoyed the freedom riding solo. Met some great people travelers and locals, bikers and nomads. From what ive read about the TAT it looks more interesting terrain than OZ but i did go through the flat centre which has its own beauty and im know there is far more to see around the coasts.

Bike
    2007 Suzuki DR200 SE
    Quote Originally Posted by vegeman View Post
    nothing to do with KTM' bro...stinking WR's!

BUT while this has put everything on hold...it is growing. That photo was from 5 weeks ago now. check out the growth rings. I'm a bloody salamander

Name:	2015-06-03 08.30.19 finger2.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	72.7 KB 
ID:	313192
    week 1

Name:	2015-06-10 08.31.42 finger 3.jpg 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	313190
    week 2

Name:	2015-06-22 09.04.55 finger 4.5.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	313191
    week 3

They said that the finger is amazing at growing, you just need to keep it in these modern dressings that act like a second skin. It keeps all the fluid and goodness to help grow skin/flesh, it allows vapour (and odour) to escape so it can breath etc.

While it's bummer....I do heal well - I've had enough practise at it!!!
    Vegeman so sorry to see this. You poor man. So not how a good deed should end up
    Amazing to see the growth in the finger.
    Takecare.
    If you don't ride in the rain, you don't ride !

Thread Information