Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Commuting tyres for supersport bike

Bike
    A black one

Commuting tyres for supersport bike

I currently have Bridgestone S20Rs on my GSXR750. They're a great tyre, super grippy and good in the wet but I'm thinking that they may be a tad soft for the riding I do.

I mainly commute 60kms a day on my bike, rain or shine, but also go for the occassional spirited weekend ride as well as group rides. I'd also like to start doing a few track days on it.

I've been told to fit the new S20R EVOs for my next set as they have 25% extra life, and I've read reviews saying the same. Also been recommended Conti Motions as an alternative. I've heard good things about Pilot Roads but they seem pretty pricey, at least from online pricing.

Can anyone recommened something that will last close to or over 10,000kms and have good grip for track/weekend riding as well as wet weather riding? Also hoping to not spend more than $550-600 incl fitting/balancing, but the cheaper the better really.

Bike
    Custom Ag100
    PP3s, you should get 10k on a 750.
    "Sorry Officer, umm.... my yellow power band got stuck wide open"

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    mitchies, roads or pilots.

...or. Kenda.

Bike
    A
    Sport touring tyre will be the go, brand name is down to personal preference.

Mine is Michelin Pilot Road 4. I've thrashed a set of S20s in about 5000 clicks (albeit on a Busa) so the PR4s will outdo that easily.

The cheaper option from Michelin would be Pilot Power 3, but that's about the same as the S20 in terms of wear.

Bike
    Custom Ag100
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    The cheaper option from Michelin would be Pilot Power 3, but that's about the same as the S20 in terms of wear.
    PP3 will do almost double the distance of the S20.

Both these are better suited for the OPs track days than the PRs
    "Sorry Officer, umm.... my yellow power band got stuck wide open"

Bike
    A black one
    I was leaning more towards the Michelins at this point after having them on my last bike, they wore quite well.

I guess I should really opt for a more commuter biased tyre rather than track oriented, as I'll only probably get to the track three or so times before selling my bike anyway, if I'm lucky.

Would you guys recommened the Pilot Powers or Pilot Roads then? So long as they're not absolutely horrible on the track, I'd rather have something with slightly better wear for commuting. I'm guessing that means Pilot Roads?

Where's a good place to get Michelins in Auckland also? Cos I know of a stockist of Bridgestones that gets them for much cheaper than anywhere else but I don't think they stock Michelin tyres much.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    cycletreads.
    Or drury performance.

Fucken aucklanders.

Bike
    Bridgestone T30s are a fair bit cheaper than pilot roads and should last longer than S20s with a bit more cold/wet road grip. I'd be well surprised if i got 10k out of them but i only got 5 from S20s.

Bike
    '09 Bandit 1250s
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender EnZed View Post
    Bridgestone T30s are a fair bit cheaper than pilot roads and should last longer than S20s with a bit more cold/wet road grip. I'd be well surprised if i got 10k out of them but i only got 5 from S20s.

I love my T30's so much more than the old PR3's.

Bike
    bking, tlr1000
    conti road attack 2 or sport attack, highly recommended. would never go back to any other brand. $550 fitted at boyd motorcycles hamilton.
    got them on the B King at mo and have used them on my last 3 roadbikes. best tyres ive used rain, hail or shine.
    awesome feedback and outstanding grip.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by f2dz View Post
    Where's a good place to get Michelins in Auckland also? Cos I know of a stockist of Bridgestones that gets them for much cheaper than anywhere else but I don't think they stock Michelin tyres much.
    Cycletreads. Owned by the same crew as the Michelin importer, so most don't bother trying to compete much...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Predator
    Cycletreads have the original Pilot Road rear for 199 at the moment. Are these miles worse than PR2 & PR3?

http://www.cycletreads.co.nz/product...oad_sport.aspx

Bike
    red one & a blue one
    I've been commuting on PR2 & PR3 last 4 years. Consistently get 25,000km + out of a front & rear on a cbr1000f & sv1000.

The PR3 & now PR4's give torrential rain the finger & great grip in the wet. They also don't mind running over the odd piece of 4x2 laying in the middle of the motorway at 100km/h
    Supersize Me

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by local View Post
    Cycletreads have the original Pilot Road rear for 199 at the moment. Are these miles worse than PR2 & PR3?

Im on a set. Check when they were made, its stamped on the side. I dont hate them. I reckon they have a better corner feel than PR3s I had on my old Hornet 900.

I did have a set on that Hornet when I got it and they were leathel. But they were 07 and hard as nails.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by local View Post

It's like so 10 years ago man! Zillion improvements since.

I'm running T30's - excellent tyres, so far I highly rate them.

Thread Information