Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: AMPS has moved

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by Motu View Post
    And apathy from people like me who only wanted things done, but when turning up to a meeting just saw people spouting words, and others spouting more words arguing. They got very little support from me.
    Those sorts are the ones who end up running the country, making the laws and so on. I remember a union meeting once in Sydney where 'Paddy' went on and on and on...till most of the tradies got tired of it and left, then they had the vote....surprise surprise out on strike..
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    What the fuck happened to bike shops.
    Still trying to figure that out. When I bought my first bike it was from a shop which had a staff of two: the owner and an apprentice. A small, crowded, showroom and a workshop out the back. All in a normal sized shop premises right in the main street, in the middle of town.

A couple of years ago I visited the Ducati dealer in Melbourne. The shop was all black marble with a couple of bikes on big shiny black pedestals and some artfully displayed leather jackets. More like a fashion boutique than a bike shop. The Victory boutique was similar. In contrast Peter Stevens across the road was like a trip back in time - to Aladdin's Cave.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    All of them
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post

What the fuck happened to bike shops.
    Short answer:

Longer answer:
    American brands in particular - Market research.
    Desire for larger customer base. IE Wimmens. No more mechanical butt crack, tit posters or patronising - or it's hard work attracting around 50% of humans to your product.
    The quest for buyer loyalty and repeat business - to provide beyond the bike. Social occasions, riding club, pleasant lounge for service while you wait. A place to ride to or start from - and hang with like-minded individuals.
    To build relationships with customers.

Personally - I don't have full buy in. Generally prefer riding alone or in small groups if it's not for a gig.
    But I certainly understand the attraction of the whole shindig. I have friends that are full noise on it and it brings them much joy. I go and take photos and report on the parties and events and there are a lot of people enjoying themselves. I enjoy myself.
    I have other mates that are 100% down on the whole thing. They don't have any real logic behind the hatin' - fashion sense seems to be the main bug-bear.

Anyway, I'm currently in lust with this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gc5563548462226739426.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	208.0 KB 
ID:	298853

Bike
    triumph scrambler
    FFS don't take it any further offroad than the end of your driveway. But you journo types already know that .
    Don't get those white walls dirty.

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    Short answer:

Longer answer:
    American brands in particular - Market research.
    Desire for larger customer base. IE Wimmens. No more mechanical butt crack, tit posters or patronising - or it's hard work attracting around 50% of humans to your product.
    The quest for buyer loyalty and repeat business - to provide beyond the bike. Social occasions, riding club, pleasant lounge for service while you wait. A place to ride to or start from - and hang with like-minded individuals.
    To build relationships with customers.

Personally - I don't have full buy in. Generally prefer riding alone or in small groups if it's not for a gig.
    But I certainly understand the attraction of the whole shindig. I have friends that are full noise on it and it brings them much joy. I go and take photos and report on the parties and events and there are a lot of people enjoying themselves. I enjoy myself.
    I have other mates that are 100% down on the whole thing. They don't have any real logic behind the hatin' - fashion sense seems to be the main bug-bear.

Anyway, I'm currently in lust with this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gc5563548462226739426.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	208.0 KB 
ID:	298853
    It all sounds very nice but I'm with your other mates on that one.

I guess I'll just have to buy old shitters and tinker on them in my shed with the odd beer and lonely spontaneous rides....

Did you know Steve McQueen also rode one of the German bikes chasing himself in the Great Escape ( yeah I know Bud did the actual jump)
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

When Auckland Motorcycle Wreckers first started in a real window shop on Eden Terrace it was a dark place of magic and terror to a young teenager, by the time they shifted to Ponsonby Rd I knew the guys and how the place worked. By the time Ray opened his basement cave I was fully in the scene. These places may have been scary and intimidating to the uninitiated, but they were a magnet to those who wanted to play with old British bikes - they may not of had the parts you wanted, but someone there knew someone who knew someone...and so another link was formed in the chain.

As Dave said - buyer loyalty and repeat business. Ray hung in there as the British bikes finally dried up, and took the lifeline of Harley Davidson, never to look back. Auckland Motorcycles took Ducati, but the brand loyalty is not there, lose, lose.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by trustme View Post
    FFS don't take it any further offroad than the end of your driveway. But you journo types already know that .
    Speaking of end of your driveway , is Winston ready for Sunday ?

Bike
    All of them
    East Brisbane. Ironically it would be a mostly Urban bike anyway. Whitewalls would be temporary although I'd probably stick with road tyres.

What I'd more likely do is make a stocker like that myself and paint it Matte Black. I'd jack it up and put longer forks on it to fit me better too.

Bike
    triumph scrambler
    Clutch goes back together tonight. Gearbox is sorted hopefully. Hope the weather shapes up, I don't relish the thought of another wee lie down . Graeme Cole reckoned ' worms ' . Apparently the track was covered in them although I did not notice any during my high speed close inspection . I reckon wet track & cold tyres more likely.

Bike
    Old Blue, Little blue
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    A couple of years ago I visited the Ducati dealer in Melbourne. The shop was all black marble with a couple of bikes on big shiny black pedestals and some artfully displayed leather jackets. More like a fashion boutique than a bike shop. The Victory boutique was similar. In contrast Peter Stevens across the road was like a trip back in time - to Aladdin's Cave.
    Our local bike shop is a multi dealership, which Yamaha Australia are having problems with - they had 2 shops, one predominantly Yamaha, but after Yam Aus. got shitty about things, they closed it down - didn't need the hassle.
    Anyway, go in there - you can't move - acres of bikes - they have Kawasaki, Yamaha, Ducati, Aprilia, Benelli, EBR, Bimota, KTM, all in stock, plus second hand stuff, in one shop, converted out of four, with holes in the walls.....and always odd stuff, like a Ducati DD16 for sale, tucked in a corner...a Bimota SB8 theshop owner decided to sell...an RC45 Honda, likewise............whilst not as interesting as the dark little holes full of bikes of our youth, probably the next best thing......
    “- He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.”

Bike
    As many as I can get away with
    Hope the weather shapes up, I don't relish the thought of another wee lie down . Graeme Cole reckoned ' worms ' . Apparently the track was covered in them although I did not notice any during my high speed close inspection . I reckon wet track & cold tyres more likely.
    Yeah right....Graeme's always had worms

Bike
    various
    Blog Entries
    What happened to bike shops?
    Many became dinosaurs and died.
    There are those who have evolved but only just enough to not become extinct.
    Then there are the ones who have an ability to make the right moves and change before the customers understand why. Ray fits in this category. From Universal to AMPS to Auckland HD. In my 30 years in NZ I have only purchase two bikes from a shop. Both from Universal MC.

I see some of the small backstreet bike shops and how the owner struggles to make ends meet. They live on passion. But it is hard. And even if they might dislike the big shops that have captured the market, If the opportunity came they would all go the same way.

May the bridges I burn light the way.

Follow Vinny's MX racing on www.mxvinny.com

Thread Information