Thread: Hi all - I just got my first 'big' bike and am keen to find some riding buddies!

Bike
    1997 RF900r

Hi all - I just got my first 'big' bike and am keen to find some riding buddies!

Hey everyone, new girl here!

I've had bikes for years but mainly been a casual rider / commuter, and on Saturday I'm picking up a '97 Suzuki RF900r - a proper sports tourer! Although, not having a big bike didn't used to stop me - I rode one of my first bikes (a Honda CB250rs) all around the North Island and top of the south, and it was awesome!

That doesn't really mean a whole lot though, as it was ages ago and I need to get used to the new bike and get back into the swing of riding regularly, and up my skill level (there seem to be a bunch of courses around at the moment - I'm keen to do them). And I'm wanting to meet fellow riders, for adventures! I'm not into racing or getting my adrenaline fired up on my bike (I have other outlets for my risk-taking) so I'm a pretty sedate rider, especially while I get used to this big bike.

The things I'm excited about owning a big bike for are the potential for long rides around the freakin awesome country we live in, and the social side of motorbike ownership - motorcyclists have always proven to be rad people from all of my encounters with other riders in NZ and around the world!

So yeah, if anyone has any RF900r tips, or how to shave a seat down tips (I need it just an inch lower - gonna try this!) or how to use this forum tips, let me know! And I'm in Christchurch if anyone wants to go for a ride - pm me.

Cheers, and look forward to meeting some of you out there!

Knox

Bike
    Triumph Bonneville 208
    Hey there, and welcome to this site and awesome biking in genera. Yep, there are a few groups of female bikers in Christchurch. I've got my rego on hold till September cos I'm a nana but are keen for a catch up aft that. In the meantime, ask at the local bike shops for rides coming up. Try Street and Sport cos they are doing a females night shortly I believe.

Bike
    1997 RF900r
    Oh, good to know! Thanks. Yep, it is a bit dark and wet out there at this time of year, which just adds to the horrible road conditions in this city... Yay for having a bike now that will happily get out of town!

Bike
    1997 RF900r
    Cool, sounds like good advice that I think I'll take (maybe even on Sunday if the weather's good), thank you!

Bike
    1997 RF900r
    Yes lessons would be good. I used to regularly ride from Picton to Golden Bay via the Takaka Hill and the Queen Charlotte drive... but that only means I THINK I know what I'm doing in the twisties. And really probably don't, and I would rather be schooled by other people on a course than by my own mistakes on this bike!!

I think I will go to Lake Hood on Sunday if the weather is good. If anyone wants to come let me know!

Bike
    GL1800
    Nice choice of bike Knox, - and welcome

Post up a pic of your bike - how many kms on it

Enjoy

Shafty
    "If you haven't grown up by the time you turn 50, you don't have to!"

Bike
    1997 RF900r
    I'll take some pics when I get it. And it has done 76000 km - a few! But apparently they age well.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by knox View Post
    I'll take some pics when I get it. And it has done 76000 km - a few! But apparently they age well.
    Mine's done a hundred thousand ks, just about run in I reckon.

Bike
    R6
    Nice work on the upgrade girl! And very cool to hear you have already had a couple of years exploring the wicked roads of the South and Lower North. Many you have many more thousands of km's of fun on this new beast.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by knox View Post
    Hey everyone, new girl here!

So yeah, if anyone has any RF900r tips, or how to shave a seat down tips (I need it just an inch lower - gonna try this!) or how to use this forum tips, let me know! And I'm in Christchurch if anyone wants to go for a ride Knox
    Go quick.... no run to Biker angels Knox, before the general population arrive and run rampant with this part of the post....run knox runnnnnnn
    Narrowing the base might help to anyway......
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    2012 Striple
    Blog Entries
    Congratulations on your new bike!
    yeehaaa sunshine

Thread Information