Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "Stale" petrol

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    So, the fuel in my ZX6 has gone stale after two very long periods of no use (it's even ninteyfuckingeight) means that you are a cunt and correlation is not causation.
    You dick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    Is this a myth? If I dont ride for 3 months, does that make me a stale rider?
    " Rule books are for the Guidance of the Wise, and the Obedience of Fools"

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...a while back I was taking out an old kitchen and at the back of an old cupboard that had been blanked off I found two crates of Bavarian Bitter quarts...it was stale...thank god...

Bike
    anything I can get my grubby wee paws on
    Quote Originally Posted by eelracing View Post
    However your welcome to come round and kick me Norton over with "stale" fuel in the tank anytime...I will enjoy the heap you will eventually be lying in
    And when you're done there, you can come and likewise have a go at starting my Ducati
    =mjc=

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    The GSXR (injected) will always start after sitting for months on whatever is in there.

The DR650 how ever seems to cook off the float bowl if not used for 3-4 days. Big single sucks a bit of juice out of battery so not worth cranking it over repeatedly.
    Drain float bowl and little more and that feeds my lawn mower.

Used to have mate that did fish and chip delivery with two bikes, one used 91 other 96. Cant remember which one but the fuel would go stale faster than the other, as in days vs months...
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    KTM 530 exc 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by awayatc View Post
    If the fuel is old, and you think its stale....just add some water....
    With Sugar Yeast & hops ?
    THE DEAR LEADER SAY'S Life is Hell ride hard or head home just get the fuck outta my way !!!

Bike
    anything I can get my grubby wee paws on
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    Used to have mate that did fish and chip delivery with two bikes, one used 91 other 96. Cant remember which one but the fuel would go stale faster than the other, as in days vs months...
    It is the 96 or 98 that goes off (quite a lot) faster - those toluenes and other aromatics evaporate quickly
    =mjc=

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Fuck my dirt bike is scary on the road and I learnt to ride on an XR with knackered knobblies. I'd claim BS on that claim.

Gas can last well enough but some vehicles better than others. My high compression dirt bike runs like crap when it's cold until it gets totally hot. Then I worked out that if I bought fuel on the way to the ride it didn't happen. Fuel had lost it's light gases through plastic tank. Less detonation in the sand too.

But there's only one person qualified to talk on this subject I'm aware of and he's already spoken. It's not you by the way SM.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    BMW R1200RT 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by willytheekid View Post
    Ahhh..actually

"If petrol is not stored in an air tight container then the process of oxidation occurs. Fuel that has been exposed to air flow will begin to look cloudy and get darker in colour. Sometimes you may even be able to see particles floating in the fuel if it is badly oxidised.

Once the fuel is in this state it is dangerous to add it to an engine as the fuel will form deposits in the fuel system. Fuel stored in a vehicle is not air tight – particularly in motorcycles and therefore these deposits can build up and affect the proper working of the engine".

...not so much of a myth huh

(note...they say if stored properly in air tight containers and at the correct temp and out of sunlight etc etc...5yrs! storage is possible with no oxidation)

...I would like to thank google for once again making me look far smarter than I actual is
    Gee and I thought fuel filters in the line were supposed to take that sort of stuff out. Wonder why I am paying extra for a filter then?

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by veldthui View Post
    Gee and I thought fuel filters in the line were supposed to take that sort of stuff out. Wonder why I am paying extra for a filter then?
    Damn straight! I crack some skulls when I glad wrap my sandwich only to come back 5 years later and find there is mold on it. Da faq! Proof that shit doesn't keep anything off your food at all!

Bike
    A big Wheel, and a sponge bob scooter :P

When Life thows me a curve
    ...I lean into it!

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    You need to condition it with some water then run some yacht fuel through it for best results...

Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    It was on the good
    There's a joke in there about my wife.

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r
    Sitting around for months?

or going stale through lack of use......?

thats a bit harsh.....
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Bike
    It was on the good
    I was thinking of the photo of the giant tampon.

EDIT - Lots of sick double entendres deleted. Suffice to say all go go juice is changed regularly.

Thread Information