Thread: Registering a Suzuki Street Magic?

Bike
    Scooter

Angry Registering a Suzuki Street Magic?

Hi all...

I have been trying my hardest to register my Suzuki Street magic as the previous owner let the rego lapse back in 2011 and had it in storage since then...
    Basically from what I have been told I cannot register the bike as a moped again because the speedometer goes up to 60kmph.. When the max allowed speed for a moped is 50kmph..
    My Street Magic is heavily restricted and only pulls 50kmph on a good day but according to vtnz, " It is capable of doing more than 50k's because the speedo goes up to 60"

Well Toyota Corrola speedo's go upto 220kmph but when was the last time you saw a corrolla do 220k's an hour?

What Im asking is if anyone knows any way around this ridiculous law because I'm seriously at a loss and beginning to lose all hope.

any help would be appreciated greatly

Bike
    Agent Orange
    That is total bullshit, some of the vehicle testers are power tripping motherfuckers. Jesus, all vehicles have bullshit top end speedo readings.
    He's just trying to be difficult. FFS, it's had a moped rego before, all they need to do is reference check the engine/frame numbers, surrender old plate and issue new one. At a price of course.
    Tell him to stick it on a dyno, if it exceeds 2KW as per regs, then he may have a point. All else fails, go to another vehicle tester.
    See moped classifications here:
    http://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicle/your/motorcycles.html

My wife's brand new Vespa LX50 has got 80kmph on the clock as max speed, but it's factory restricted to 50kmph. Easily remedied once it's rego'd, simply take the restricter washer out, and welcome to 65kmph no worries.

Good luck.

Bike
    Scooter
    Where would one reccomend getting a bike tested and registered again... It's not just as simple as taking the bike down the road as I live on Waiheke island and have to take the bike over on the barge.. The place I was told about that 60k bs was the glen
    Innes VTNZ.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    1) i have fanged the fuck out of a few ricers. But no, 220km is optimistic. Top out about 190.

2) get some fucking twink and dab out 60. Easy.

3) dont waste your time or money and get a real bike like a fucking man.

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    I would be challenging the drongos over this. What the speedo reads up to is irrelevant. Under this line of thought, any car with a speedo reading over 100kph is capable of exceeding its legislated speed limit, so is therefore illegally on the road.
    " Rule books are for the Guidance of the Wise, and the Obedience of Fools"

Bike
    2005 Custom Moped
    Maybe you should have tried to put it on the Restoration Register and that is an exemption from continuos Registration
    If somebody owes rego on a vehicle they cant put it on hold but the next owner can but i think there are time limits

Bike
    2015 DRZ400SM, 2010 R1
    Could show them tests done by reputable websites: http://www.thescooterreview.com/revi...view?showall=1
    I'd appeal via land transport rather than go back to VTNZ.
    VTNZ are just old cranky mechanics, work around that.

Also failing that we can do some calcs of the power output and gearing etc to find theoretical top speed which will end up under 60 anyway!

Bike
    1982 Suzuki Fa50
    Ummm I went to a VTNZ store and acted confident as can be
    "I want to reregister another scooter, here is the MR1 (I think it was)"
    "No worries sir"

Walked out with the plate, stuck it on my FA50 and that was that.

Bike
    PopTart Katoona
    Blog Entries
    What felixx said. Its a scooter. Unless its the 110cc model, its the 50cc one. Tell them its 50cc, under 2kw and want to rego it as a scooter.
    Reactor Online. Sensors Online. Weapons Online. All Systems Nominal.

Bike
    FZR,Jog,GZ maybe CBR?
    Go to a different VTNZ, complain about that one. Long story short they are utterly hopeless and don't know shit. Should just be fill a form - hand in old plate, get new one.
    Skulls N Flames. Bye bye FZR may you have many more miles with your new owner. 600cc time soon!

Bike
    CB125Twin, Nzeta 1961 & 63
    I went to the AA, they did not even want to see the old 50cc, walked out with a plate. Rules have changed since then, and the 2kw thing rules... so you got to prove its output is less than 2kw... can you get any paper work stating that?
    The wife's a communist.

Bike
    PopTart Katoona
    Blog Entries
    Hmmm I just did a search - says Street Magic has 5.2kW? So might be best to dyno it and take that in instead
    Reactor Online. Sensors Online. Weapons Online. All Systems Nominal.

Thread Information