Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Temporary import motorcycle?

Bike
    1985 Moto Guzzi V50 Nato

Temporary import Guzzi

I`m coming over to Auckland for at least six months at the end of September (Internship) and afterwards I want to drive back home. One of my friends moved to Christchurch and is a Civil Engineer so he can build me a bridge to Singapore.

Are there any Import brokers on this forum? Or people who have experience with it who can help me with the process of getting my bike through NZ customs and on the road on Dutch plates? Or have good experience with a certain broker?

I want to do it as a temporary Import. I've already contacted NZ customs but still waiting for response (12 hour time difference isn't helping :P)

Any advice, hints, tips or tricks are much appreciated

Bike info:
    Moto Guzzi V50 Nato
    ~200kg
    34hp / 25kw (but alot of horses seem to be m.i.a., or they've installed ponies)

visit my site/blog @ www.travelguzzi.com

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Jut buy a GN250 while here - same power .......

Nah just joking. Must be doable as people do world tours on their own bike. You'll possibly need to get it certified in NZ before being allowed to ride it.

Bike
    1985 Moto Guzzi V50 Nato
    That is correct, need to get a quarantine and bio inspection, wof, pay acc levy, must pass roadworthy inspection etc... But I`m sure I`m missing alot and it would go alot smoother with some experienced help.

And the CN... nah, I drive Guzzi, my hearts pumps V-twin. Have thought extensively about buying but I just can't get over the idea of getting a japanese ricecooker . And this way it will be alot easier to drive back home, and to work on it if neccessary because I know the bike through and through.

Bike
    Rocket 111 Touring (2010)
    Why not buy a Guzzi here then sell it when you leave? There's always plenty to choose from on Trade Me. The saving you make on shipping, registering, MAF, etc will probably be more than you loose when selling the bike.

When I first came here on holiday from the UK with a Harley, I found it was easier to simply register it with NZ plates and it cost about the same as keeping the UK plates. NZ plates also made local insurance easier. Loved it here so much that we emigrated so the bike just stayed NZ registered.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1985 Moto Guzzi V50 Nato
    The info isnt quite satisfying, but greaty appreciated. I`m already in contact with some local shipping companies and it just so happens one of the customers at my work has a shipping company and he will look into it as well ^^.

As for the reasons I`m not buying in NZ anymore.... When I want to ride back, I'm afraid I`ll have to do a lot of paperwork and explaining as to why I hold a Dutch passport and drive around on nz plates. Also the costs of shipping and handling are practically the same as the budget I had for buying something in NZ.

As said, I thank you for thinking along with me ^^. And I get where you come from Flub but as you can see, selling it when I leave NZ, will mean I`ll have to walk way to long to get home :P. And a Jap bike nah thank, I`ll just get bored....

I've owned a BMW R1200RT (05) and a Tuono 1000r (07) next to my Guzzi V50.... but the V50 brought the biggest grin and fun eventhough it's slow as hell. The only other bike that comes with the same amount of fun is my dads Norton Commando 850.

Bike
    1985 Moto Guzzi V50 Nato
    Just for an update, I`m going for the temporary import. Yesterday I dropped of the cute green thing at the transport agency and from there they will crate it. It should arrive shortly after I do... given that I manage to ace the resits I have to do .

(not the best picture... I`m sorry)

And some pics of the bike while cleaning and replacing som right here

Bike
    GSX1300R
    Quote Originally Posted by jeeron View Post
    Just for an update, I`m going for the temporary import. Yesterday I dropped of the cute green thing at the transport agency and from there they will crate it. It should arrive shortly after I do... given that I manage to ace the resits I have to do .
    Not sure about cars/bikes, but when we move a container load of household items the shipping company told us we needed to arrive in NZ before the container to avoid the duty.

Bike
    1985 Moto Guzzi V50 Nato
    Same here. I should arrive at least a week before the bike does. I have full confidence in my shipping agent to arrange for everything.

Bike
    Good to read you're all sorted man. Enjoy your time here and sing out if you're passing through Picton

Bike
    Suzuki DRZ 400
    I bought my DRZ in on temporary import scheme. I sorted the freight clearance myself at the New Zealand end.

I paid for the a freight handing company to get the crate off the LCL container and into a freight yard. Took the bill of lading to customs on Anzac St, Auckland, paid $40.00 in GST, booked the bio-security inspection. It turned out that MAFF who do the inspection didn't inspect it thoroughly at all (ripped open the corner of the crate, but didn't remove the plastic wrapping or ratchet straps. Thank fuck as i'd packed it in the monsoon rains of India. ). Once it had passed bio-security inspection, rang their hotline, paid $80 for the privilege.

Got a man and van to get bike out of haulage yard, took bike home, filled with oil, connected battery. Rode to VTNZ, filled out form, paid the acc part of the rego (I think about $100), got 12 month rego sticker, got the bike WOF'd, and was good to go.

http://nzta.govt.nz/resources/factsh...mporarily.html

Very simple really.

Bike
    1985 Moto Guzzi V50 Nato
    Quote Originally Posted by Fern View Post
    I bought my DRZ in on temporary import scheme. I sorted the freight clearance myself at the New Zealand end.

I paid for the a freight handing company to get the crate off the LCL container and into a freight yard. Took the bill of lading to customs on Anzac St, Auckland, paid $40.00 in GST, booked the bio-security inspection. It turned out that MAFF who do the inspection didn't inspect it thoroughly at all (ripped open the corner of the crate, but didn't remove the plastic wrapping or ratchet straps. Thank fuck as i'd packed it in the monsoon rains of India. ). Once it had passed bio-security inspection, rang their hotline, paid $80 for the privilege.

Got a man and van to get bike out of haulage yard, took bike home, filled with oil, connected battery. Rode to VTNZ, filled out form, paid the acc part of the rego (I think about $100), got 12 month rego sticker, got the bike WOF'd, and was good to go.

http://nzta.govt.nz/resources/factsh...mporarily.html

Very simple really.
    Thanks for this!

Bike
    Cbr 600Fx/Fy (F4)
    hey jeeron how is this going for you?
    Im thinking of doing this myself how much did the shipping cost you and what company did you use?

Bike
    aprilia Tuono
    Quote Originally Posted by Rondemole View Post
    hey jeeron how is this going for you?
    Im thinking of doing this myself how much did the shipping cost you and what company did you use?
    posted on his blog last week

"Finally got news about the shipment of the 51. If all goes well it will arrive in Auckland on November 10. Hopefuly it will get through customs fast because a month+ without a bike is just too much to handle. I hope I don’t get to grumpy."
    "For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen" Douglas Adams (1952-2001) - not riding a TUONO then!

Bike
    Cbr 600Fx/Fy (F4)
    Quote Originally Posted by yevjenko View Post
    posted on his blog last week

"Finally got news about the shipment of the 51. If all goes well it will arrive in Auckland on November 10. Hopefuly it will get through customs fast because a month+ without a bike is just too much to handle. I hope I don’t get to grumpy."
    ah cheers, didn't notice there was a blog!

Thread Information