Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why has cornering suddenly become so hard?

Bike
    89 GPX750, 06KLR650
    Quote Originally Posted by frogfeaturesFZR View Post
    steering head bearings ?
    +1 on this. Check them out thoroughly. I had a set that started to delaminate the rollers when the bike was only 1 year old. Was like the bike wanted to not corner until you put extra effort in. Couldn't detect any looseness in them or feel any notchiness but eventually I pulled the steering head to check them as I had checked most other things.
    Paul’s Adventure riding Photo’s

Latest photo's

Paved Roads are just another example of Wasted Taxpayer Dollars

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Could be a brake piston not returning and pad dragging.
    That would make it want to stand up in corners.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    1987 GPX 250
    Quote Originally Posted by frogfeaturesFZR View Post
    steering head bearings ?
    +2 on this. My bike would feel like shit in the corners. Got them tightened and it was okish for a week or so then went back to shit. Had them replaced and it is now perfect. The old bearings were not even that old but I think the lack of decent suspension wore them out faster.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Get your tyres checked.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Check your own tyres!

Odd it has happened so quickly - leads me to think of mechanical - steering head bearing failed, front wheel bearings (pop the wheel off and see how they spin) maybe rear wheel bearings. Check rear suspension mounts/links are tight - may be loose.

Or you are stressed. Have a pre-ride wank and head out relaxed ....

Bike
    Triumph Tiger 800XC
    Blog Entries
    Right, all good suggestions so this morning I went to work as usual during cornering back to basics. Wide entry, scrub off speed, counter steer and eyes on the destination. Low and behold that went smooth (OF COURSE!)..... nothing wrong with the bike, everything wrong with me, so back to practice makes perfect and continue to do so until well forever i guess.

Thanks for all the comments and ideas much appreciated. Guess this forum worked for me, again !
    Ride Safe . . . . SixftFive

Bike
    2008 R6
    Quote Originally Posted by 6ft5 View Post
    ....... Low and behold that went smooth (OF COURSE!)..... nothing wrong with the bike, everything wrong with me, so back to practice makes perfect and continue to do so until well forever i guess.
    Good, the rider is usually the biggest problem or solution to a bike.

Having said that, if you find it still isn't behaving quite right in the corners the only other things to check are:

- Tires, pressures and profile
    - Suspension.... could be a few things, Oil + N2 levels not up to spec in shock or forks... rear rebound too slow.... preload problems....spring too soft.... etc
    - Probably not a big factor, but linkages should be lubed up too... including bearings.
    - Worn head bearing can cause problems.
    - Finally, if you have your tires changed or take off your wheels for whatever reason, rear alignment could be a problem. Also, if the front forks are not bounced (don't hold front brake) with the axle bolts untightened before tightening them, after you put the wheel back on, there could be a "twist" in the front forks. To fix this, just loosen the front axle bolts and bounce the front suspension without using the front brake.
    - Well the frame could be twisted or cracked..... but you'd notice that one after a crash.

Happy riding.

Bike
    A black one
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Get your tyres checked.
    My guess too.

My bike handled horribly with incorrect tyre pressures, but you mention you'd checked those.

I just got new tyres fitted, same kind, but night and day by comparison in regards to how they tip in and generally feel.

Do your tyres have any flat spots anywhere?

Bike
    Triumph Tiger 800XC
    Blog Entries
    Thanks guys - no flat spots and am going back to basics. sight on the destination, wide entry, right speed, countersteer, lean in the bike and accelerate once the apex exit is in sight. That should do it. If not back to mechanics basics as mentioned by you all.
    Ride Safe . . . . SixftFive

Bike
    RD350 KTM790R, 2 x BMW R80G/S, XT500
    Quote Originally Posted by sil3nt View Post
    +2 on this. My bike would feel like shit in the corners. Got them tightened and it was okish for a week or so then went back to shit. Had them replaced and it is now perfect. The old bearings were not even that old but I think the lack of decent suspension wore them out faster.
    +3

The steering head on my 950 gradually went dogo.
    I was blaming the front tyre as it felt like it was understeering...

Thread Information