Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: What's the best bike for gravel?

Bike
    2001 R1150GS
    maybe thread should be titled "best bike for gravel with a $xxxx budget"
    other wise my best gravel bike would be one off those 450 dakar bikes
    'Good things come to those who wait'
    Bollocks, get of your arse and go get it

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    The best bike for gravel as proven at the Erzberg Prologue, is a factory KTM 690 Dakar bike.

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    The best bike for gravel as proven at the Erzberg Prologue, is a factory KTM 690 Dakar bike.
    mmmm... define gravel.
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Bike
    Orange ones! (and a few others...)
    The problem that most of us have is not "what's the best bike for gravel" but what's the best compromise? as it's never all gravel, or all mud, or all rocks / streams / clay whatever, it's always just about any surface each day. For instance, last saturday was the MMMM which I had to bail from to head home at midday. So I started off with incredibly dangerous wet grass, a bit of forestry roads, a stream, several bastards on fast bikes trying to kill me, gravel, gravel roads and sealed roads. All up I did just under 1000kms in 11 hours, I'm glad I was on the fat pig (BMW R100) or my arse would have been toast by mid afternoon, I wasn't the fastest bike out there but I am happy with my compromise.

Good luck with yours!

Bike
    '08 KTM 690E
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    My first thought on getting on a 690 for a hoon was similar. What had they done with the steering lock!
    when you are next looking at the 690, check how far the frame sticks out, which gives the forks less room to travel as they turn from side to side. most motors go under the frame part that is running straight from the steering head, but because the 690 frame goes around the motor it prevents the front forks turning as far. First time riding, I couldn't turn as tight, couldn't correct the slide, and would fall off during tight trails. Basically, I needed to adapt my riding/body position from riding the older style frames, meaning for tight corners...you have to tip the bike, before turning. Ride the throttle more, and for tight trails, use the rear brake to silde it around. BUT these bikes are for fast, Dakar style riding which is fast gravel/hardpack. Torque from these motors, is amazing. I have geared the bike up from at 15T front to a 16T just so the torque lasts longer...and I've run this taller gearing for years and done all the rides where you think lower gearing would be better ie awakino saddle...just ride faster,
    ...back in the saddle, and getting a little!

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by transalper View Post
    mmmm... Define gravel.
    ap20

Bike
    '08 KTM 690E
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    Pretty much the most useful post on this thread so far Nordie
    definitely the rider, good bikes make us pussies look like we are good. good bikes make the longer trips better and more fun during the boring bits...

Bike
    uKTM Tiger 800xc
    the 690 is indeed a hoot in the gravel (of just about any size). If I were a better rider I could easily of dragged off Bart on his bicycle tired DR and GPSMan on that 530 or even his old KLR....DRGirl on the DR2hundy even
    ....wherezz that track go

Bike
    '08 KTM 690E

about time you got that new 690

and show us your stuff...
    enough dicking around on bike choice...just get one, any year...and get on wif it!!!

Bike
    uKTM Tiger 800xc
    Quote Originally Posted by vegeman View Post
    and show us your stuff...
    enough dicking around on bike choice...just get one, any year...and get on wif it!!!
    2014's look good for doing gravel and they have more HP than the 09...hummm
    ....wherezz that track go

Bike
    800XC
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
    2014's look good for doing gravel and they have more HP than the 09...hummm
    Cant get 2014s - they all gone - 2015 due in Feb (by all accounts)

Bike
    2007 HondaXL1000V Varadero and 14 others
    Quote Originally Posted by The Pastor View Post
    Maybe I should of made the title of this thread, best bike to ride FAST on gravel, as thats what I wanna do.
    The best - ie fastest point to point - machine I've ever ridden on gravel was the CB350/4 Barrie Alderdice set up for road trials in the 1970s. WFO the whole time, smooth, low CG, no pissing around going slow by going sideways, hooked up or wheelspun as you liked; just magic. Simple narrow road tyres gave heaps of grip and never chunked out.

Quicker than any of my own bikes on gravel point to point: including the KTMs, obviously the DR650 and the Vara, any of my Triumphs, my VFR with knobbies, the lot.

Dicie was 2nd in the Shell 800 on it one year. Hosed on the XT and TT500s (and another 212 competitors including me at 10th), only lost first place by not hanging around enough before entering one or two checkpoints.

Bike
    2007 Suzuki DR200 SE
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
    the 690 is indeed a hoot in the gravel (of just about any size). If I were a better rider I could easily of dragged off Bart on his bicycle tired DR and GPSMan on that 530 or even his old KLR....DRGirl on the DR2hundy even
    You thrash me boy I just see a flash of orange ahead

Thread Information