Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Adventure Guide website is shutting down

Bike
    DRZ400E

The Adventure Guide website is shutting down

At the end of January 2014 the Adventure Guide website (www.adventureguide.co.nz) will no longer exist. The good news is that it is being replaced with a completely redeveloped version dedicated to adventure riding and route planning. Since August 2013 development of this new website has been full-on from both myself and a full-time programmer. The result is a new website with a huge number of new features and improved functionality making the task of researching and planning routes easier and better.

One of the main drivers behind this new redevelopment was that the size of the route files became so large on the existing website they began to crash browsers. The new website will handle larger quantities of route files with ease. The current downside is that the Adventure Guide website has had no GPS routes added for nearly 4 months however once the new website is launched it will have a huge number of new routes and features added to the map which have all been stockpiled from the last few months of riding.

2014 represents a pretty exciting milestone. After seven years of picking away at the Adventure Guide website in my spare time, I now move over to working on this project basically full-time. After Christmas and New Years is all said and done, the key on the bike is turned and I hit the road for 12 months. The destination is every tarmac/gravel road and 4X4 track in the South Island. I'll be uploading route files on the move from hotels, motels, holiday parks etc along the way. I'll start a new thread following the progress of the route for those interested.

The release date for the new site is February 1st, 2014. Up until this time the Adventure Guide website will still be available for use.

Happy riding for the Christmas/New Year/holiday period, I may see you on the road!

Bike
    2001 R1150GS
    Bro you got the coolest of jobs
    'Good things come to those who wait'
    Bollocks, get of your arse and go get it

Bike
    What a dick. Had me worried for a second there

Enjoy your time on the road and keep up the good work dude. Yours and the tramper website have to be the best around for planning out trips around the country.

Bike
    blackbird,africa twin,xt600,xt 600tenere
    Damn scared the he'll out of me for a moment, good on ya mate and stay safe....

Bike
    uKTM Tiger 800xc
    Great site. Please keep the drz build bit. Watch out for stock on the roads they can spoil ya fun.
    ....wherezz that track go

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Best of luck to you, so far it's been an awesome resource planning trips to the lower island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    500EXC
    Blog Entries
    Any plans to get some North Island stuff on there? (If there is it doesn't seem to show up on my browser (may be a silly question))

Bike
    DRZ400E
    Thanks for the kind words guys

Quote Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
    Great site. Please keep the drz build bit. Watch out for stock on the roads they can spoil ya fun.
    The DRZ build stuff has an even better "Bike Building" section in the new site. Bigger, better, gooderer

Quote Originally Posted by oneblackflag View Post
    Any plans to get some North Island stuff on there? (If there is it doesn't seem to show up on my browser (may be a silly question))
    Over the years I've had a bunch of requests for North Island routes being added to the website. Being a born and bred North Islander myself (Waikune), I thought it'd be rude not to address this. The new website rebuild has been redesigned to fully support the North Island however this will be slower in content as I am focusing on the South Island full time over 2014. I am working with a couple of people with the aim they will be taking on the North Island sections of the new site in the same manner that I am taking on the South Island, I'll update once the outcome is finalised

Bike
    2001 R1150GS
    get pro active and go start finding ya own NI adv routes
    'Good things come to those who wait'
    Bollocks, get of your arse and go get it

Bike
    500EXC
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dino3310 View Post
    get pro active and go start finding ya own NI adv routes
    Yeah I should be able to outrun angry farmers buckshot on the WR

Bike
    Yeah I should be able to outrun angry farmers buckshot on the WR
    That's the spirit!

The walking associating site has a map of unformed legal roads, always worth a nose

Bike
    500EXC
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    That's the spirit!

The walking associating site has a map of unformed legal roads, always worth a nose
    Right, I'll check that out thanks.

Bike
    uKTM Tiger 800xc
    Quote Originally Posted by ADVGD View Post
    Thanks for the kind words guys

The DRZ build stuff has an even better "Bike Building" section in the new site. Bigger, better, gooderer

cool, am looking at options for a new ADV bike and the DRZ seems a possible option so the more info I can gather the better! How many k's do you get from the 28ltr tank?

Bike
    02' 640E; 79' Lemans
    Thinking of leaving the dark side then?

Bike
    uKTM Tiger 800xc
    Quote Originally Posted by manakau.KTM View Post
    Thinking of leaving the dark side then?
    yeah na dunno maybe. Thinking of a more sedate/cheap ADV bike and get into trials/exploring on the beta a bit more which I'm really hooked on...maybe a 250 2T freeride even.

Thread Information