Thread: RemoteMoto adventure screens

Bike
    Suzuki DRZ400E

RemoteMoto adventure screens

Alongside the website www.remotemoto.com, RemoteMoto will be producing a range of fibreglass adventure riding products. After nearly 2 months of R&D the first prototype of the RemoteMoto screen was tested today and the result was a rip roaring success. Great wind protection, gauges perfectly situated for easy viewing and minimal buffeting at high speed.

This particular screen has been designed to fit the DR650, DRZ400 and DRZ250. More information will follow once the final moulds, jigs and production process is finalised and a final price is set.

This is not the best photo angle, from the seated position the dash is at a very user-friendly angle allowing for visibility of all the gauges and minimal glare from the sun
    Over 800 New Zealand adventure riding routes www.remotemoto.com

Bike
    2005 Suzuki DR-Z400SMK5
    May l compliment you on your excellent choice of bike !

Bike
    07 ktm se950

se950

Are they sheep proof Josh,

Bike
    Suzuki DRZ400E
    Quote Originally Posted by SE950 View Post
    Are they sheep proof Josh,
    Ya cheeky bugga

Bike
    Noice.

Are you going to do a version with a cutout for clear perspex like your previous one or is that a waste of time?

Bike
    Suzuki DRZ400E
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    Noice.

Are you going to do a version with a cutout for clear perspex like your previous one or is that a waste of time?

Hi ya Tazz

The original screen with the top Perspex insert took a beating over a two year period and stood up surprisingly well considering the structural vulnerability caused by the cutout. The only problem is that it didn't allow for a very aerodynamic shape, although it did offer great chest/body protection the air that flowed over the top was sporadically turbulent. The difference between the old screen and the new screen is night and day, the air that flows over the top of the new screen is consistently clean, with negligible buffeting at high speed, provides great all-round wind protection and is remarkably comfortable to ride with.

The dash is mounted at a far more usable angle which combats light/sun glare making for far easier visibility of the gauges. The screen appears tall however once you are in the seated position visibility is not hindered and you wouldn't want for a lower screen.

I'm looking forward to sorting the jigs to mount them to the DR650 over the coming weeks. Photos to follow soon…

Bike
    Suzuki DRZ400E
    All going well with the refinement of the process these screens will be available for purchase. However, for you hardcore DIYers, here is the build article stepping you through the process.

http://www.remotemoto.com/articles/a...bike-screen-2/

Bike
    KTM 640 Enduro
    Looks great! ...but jeez, did you just get sponsored by armour-all or something?

Enjoyed the build article too, no shit there is a lot of work in making a good dash/screen/headlight setup. Fibreglass is something I have yet to muck around with. One day I should have a go at reshaping the 640 screen, it's not too bad but there is a bit of buffeting. The modular design I have used makes bolting on a different screen section pretty easy.

Actually... if you have any reject screens that are misshapen or damaged around the lower/headlight area I might be interested in buying one to trim up & try.

Another idea for you, I bet a plug & play LED light upgrade would be a popular option when you start selling the screens - finding something road legal that fits might be the tricky bit.

Cheers
    Clint

Bike
    Suzuki DRZ400E
    Quote Originally Posted by clint640 View Post
    Looks great! ...but jeez, did you just get sponsored by armour-all or something?
    Sorry for the delay, I intended to reply soon however I kept slipping off my computer chair due to armour-all overspray

Enjoyed the build article too, no shit there is a lot of work in making a good dash/screen/headlight setup. Fibreglass is something I have yet to muck around with. One day I should have a go at reshaping the 640 screen, it's not too bad but there is a bit of buffeting. The modular design I have used makes bolting on a different screen section pretty easy.
    Yep, lots and lots and lots of work. For a one-off, it is not time or financially viable unless you simply want to create something unique and are happy to sink the time and coin into it. Before building the first screen I'd never touched fibreglass. I threw myself into the deep end, read an arsenal of technical information on the subject, spoke to some experts and then got stuck in. After a number of unfavourable results (including learning all about gelcoat alligatoring) the process was honed and I got pretty comfortable with firing out fairly respectable quality plugs, moulds and parts.

Actually... if you have any reject screens that are misshapen or damaged around the lower/headlight area I might be interested in buying one to trim up & try.
    Ahh dang. If you had posted this about a week ago there was a test screen here I would have happily sent you. If any more pop up they’ll have your name on them

Another idea for you, I bet a plug & play LED light upgrade would be a popular option when you start selling the screens - finding something road legal that fits might be the tricky bit.
    LED lighting is awesome, both bang for buck and lumens for watts. At early design stages I looked into the NZ legalities of solely using HID or LED lighting and it was pretty much a no go. Using anything other than a DOT approved left pointing high/low beam would mean headaches for getting a WOF. It would have been so much easier to design a screen to house an aftermarket LED unit but I wasn’t interested in swapping things around for WOF or being pinged for non-legal lighting. So even though this screen was much fiddlier to build to house the stock light, it’s fully legal and I can simply attach auxiliary LED lighting to boost light output. I have some LED auxiliary lighting coming in the next few days all going well with freight.

Cheers

Josh

Thread Information