Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is this illegal? Can't find any info on this

Bike
    MVs & Ducatis
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSheepLogic View Post
    I always stop rather than following the car in front. I agree that sometimes you can see the way is clear, and technically you have stopped. However, I like my clean license and would rather not rely on being technically correct when discussing the finer points of law at the side of the road.
    The first instruction at a Stop sign is that you MUST STOP. The law assumes you know this means at the front of the queue (if any) ....you have not stopped if you have been (stopped) behind another vehicle (with full visibility) and then proceed through. It is a simple rule. Once you have stopped (at the line) you may proceed when the way is clear......why do so many get this wrong, it is not open to interpretation. Stop means Stop.

Bike
    Kate
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulsterkiwi View Post
    When preparing for my restricted test (NZTA) I did a practice session with GTRMan. I stopped behind a yellow stop line and could not see properly to proceed. At this point it was explained the road code wants you to stop at that intersection rather than a rolling give way. If you need to position yourself beyond the yellow line to properly determine if its safe to proceed, thats ok.

Stalling is not a fail in the CBTA. I recently sat the CBTA full. Stalling is not mentioned in the IF (instant fail) list. Crashing is. As a matter of fact stalling was not mentioned at all in any context.
    Stalling isn't an instant fail, true, it's a critical error or some such wording. Know someone that suffered that in a car restricted test, also discussed it with the Baldies and Andrew during the mentor sessions, so unless it has changed since then it is still something to avoid.
    Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people. --- Unknown sage

Bike
    MVs & Ducatis
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    Crossing that redline in early stage means technically you would be facing into oncoming traffic, briefly, so on wrong side of road even though you are turning.
    I think this part of the test is more about encourage a predictable action during the turn for other road users. and also if you stray outside that prescribed course its then onvious to assessor that your not fully in control of where your bike goes. Bit like the parallel car parking, need to pass the test with it but after that I've never seen anyone ticketed for taking too long to park or abandoning an attempt...

This! This is the best answer, 23471 viewers found this info helpful. Also you should lay a black line as evidence of lane position

The law is you need to stop behind the yellow lines somewhere. A lot of people don't realise with stop signs that if you are stopped behind another vehicle when they go you can as well as long as you have a clear view that it is safe to pull out. There is no law about how close you need to be to yellow lines.
    You are wrong, you must stop at the front of the queue

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Quote Originally Posted by oneofsix View Post
    Stalling isn't an instant fail, true, it's a critical error or some such wording. Know someone that suffered that in a car restricted test, also discussed it with the Baldies and Andrew during the mentor sessions, so unless it has changed since then it is still something to avoid.
    yup, understand, On the ACC course I did a few weeks ago Andrew went through a verbal description of the whole assessment and the score sheet/paperwork. Stalling was not mentioned once. Maybe he forgot. Its not mentioned in the paperwork.
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    Kate
    yup, understand, On the ACC course I did a few weeks ago Andrew went through a verbal description of the whole assessment and the score sheet/paperwork. Stalling was not mentioned once. Maybe he forgot. Its not mentioned in the paperwork.
    Bugger, I enjoyed teasing him about that, especially when he stalled at the end of the days training on the day we argued about it
    Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people. --- Unknown sage

Bike
    Between bikes
    http://www.nzta.govt.nz/licence/gett...urse-guide.pdf

'Riding competencies
    Where applicable, the following competencies will be assessed
    during each riding task:
    • stability/smoothness'

I would think it would come under that.
    "It's hard to keep an open mind, when so many people are trying to put things in it"

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Quote Originally Posted by oneofsix View Post
    Bugger, I enjoyed teasing him about that, especially when he stalled at the end of the days training on the day we argued about it
    meh, I would still give him a hard time. When I finished the CBTA assessment, he took the lead and screwed up an intersection, incorrectly changing lanes. He was gracious enough to draw attention to it. I might have ribbed him a bit AFTER he signed my certificate
    I guess an expert rider is not one who always gets it right but reflects and thinks about the times he or she gets it wrong and tries to fix it next time......much like the majority of drivers and riders do across New Zealand............
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Quote Originally Posted by Erelyes View Post
    http://www.nzta.govt.nz/licence/gett...urse-guide.pdf

'Riding competencies
    Where applicable, the following competencies will be assessed
    during each riding task:
    • stability/smoothness'

I would think it would come under that.
    quite possibly it would. I was merely commenting there was not specific attention drawn to it always contributing to a fail. Crashing would do that however

Bike
    Kate
    meh, I would still give him a hard time. When I finished the CBTA assessment, he took the lead and screwed up an intersection, incorrectly changing lanes. He was gracious enough to draw attention to it. I might have ribbed him a bit AFTER he signed my certificate
    I guess an expert rider is not one who always gets it right but reflects and thinks about the times he or she gets it wrong and tries to fix it next time......much like the majority of drivers and riders do across New Zealand............
    yeah, got to be able to get one back for the dozens he pings me for

Bike
    Between bikes
    I guess an expert rider is not one who always gets it right but reflects and thinks about the times he or she gets it wrong and tries to fix it next time......
    THIS is why I like CBTA.

When I sat the 'old' practical (L to R), I got nothing but the directions until we got to the testing station, at which point they said 'Let's go inside and sort you out a licence then'. OK, I guess that meant I passed.... ???

Whereas the R to L under CBTA was the opposite end of the spectrum completely - full of feedback, intelligent discussion and a bit of banter thrown in too!
    "It's hard to keep an open mind, when so many people are trying to put things in it"

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Quote Originally Posted by Erelyes View Post
    THIS is why I like CBTA.

When I sat the 'old' practical (L to R), I got nothing but the directions until we got to the testing station, at which point they said 'Let's go inside and sort you out a licence then'. OK, I guess that meant I passed.... ???

Whereas the R to L under CBTA was the opposite end of the spectrum completely - full of feedback, intelligent discussion and a bit of banter thrown in too!
    completely agree. Having experienced both types of test I have to say the CBTA is a much better way of determining your skill set. As the instructors are wont to say, you cant pretend to be skilful for longer than 10 minutes. More importantly its better preparation for riding on the road. I would love to see a similar approach to the driving test for car users.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MVnut View Post
    The first instruction at a Stop sign is that you MUST STOP. The law assumes you know this means at the front of the queue (if any) ....you have not stopped if you have been (stopped) behind another vehicle (with full visibility) and then proceed through. It is a simple rule. Once you have stopped (at the line) you may proceed when the way is clear......why do so many get this wrong, it is not open to interpretation. Stop means Stop.
    Law has already been quoted bud. There is no specific requiring you to stop at the line. You must be stopped in such a position that you have full visibility.

btw, laws are that long for a reason. There is no assumption.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Between bikes
    First off, not aiming this at anyone in particular, but there's a startling trend on this site where a subject of law will come up, someone will post the legs&regs, then others will wade in with what can only be called opinion, which completely contradicts the law which has just been posted.

You are wrong, you must stop at the front of the queue

Bike
    GSX1300R
    The first instruction at a Stop sign is that you MUST STOP. The law assumes you know this means at the front of the queue (if any) ....
    The law only assumes you can read.

It is a simple rule.
    I thought so.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    As at 1 January 2014 from the horses mouth:

Part 4
    Stopping and giving way

4.1 Giving way where vehicles are controlled by stop sign or give-way sign

(1) A driver approaching or entering an intersection on a roadway where the vehicles that are moving in the direction in which that driver is travelling are controlled by a stop sign at or near the intersection must—

(a) stop his or her vehicle before entering the path of any possible vehicle flow at such a position as to be able to ascertain whether the way is clear for the driver to proceed

And from the road code:
    Stop sign

At an intersection controlled by a Stop sign:
    • come to a complete stop (do not just slow down)
    • stop where you can see vehicles coming from all directions
    • stay stopped until you have given way to all other vehicles (this includes cycles and motorcycles, etc)

Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Thread Information