Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2004 VTR - opinions?

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Time for another VTR pic. This one has a bit of history.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VTR-S3.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	441.2 KB 
ID:	299962  

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    It makes an appearance in this vid about 26 mins in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=FrdbgK8wQI4

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by 98tls View Post
    Go on..love hearing what other modaholics have done to there bikes,never spent any time on a VTR,no other reason than i just fell in love with a TLS first.Whats the front end like and anyone transplated the likes of an SP front end on one if theres any advantage to doing so?
    Never ridden a TL. Cant say ive ever really looked at one, not for any other reason than not seen one. I hear they are great bikes once the suspension is sorted. And they have a heap more power than the later SVs. Its always seemed odd they neutered the SVs. And what were they thinking with the fairings on SVs.

Bike
    mutton dressed up as lamb and a 73 XL250
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Oh, why not.

I believe SP forks and some CBR1000 forks go right in with a handlebar change. Something I would like to do but the cost out weighs the benefit. Bike handles well and if good fun on the track. New forks would help the front but Im not out riding what the bike can do so no point. Yet.....
    Mate i couldnt out ride my old S before i started mucking with it,just got on a roll and kept chucking coin at itthe front end and rims just made it a heap more fun to ride hard.Sure its never going to justify the $ spent but somehow that really doesnt seem to matter...at all.Its different and differents good.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000506 (Medium) (Medium).JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	130.0 KB 
ID:	299972  
    Be the person your dog thinks you are...

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Mate i couldnt out ride my old S before i started mucking with it,just got on a roll and kept chucking coin at itthe front end and rims just made it a heap more fun to ride hard.Sure its never going to justify the $ spent but somehow that really doesnt seem to matter...at all.Its different and differents good.
    I think its the mechanical look ofthe VTRs I like. Tiz the same look as your TL. Happy days.

Bike
    Ive got an old magazine somwhere with an article on an early VTR with supercharger off an old MR2,ridden daily and went real well by all accounts.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Ive got an old magazine somwhere with an article on an early VTR with supercharger off an old MR2,ridden daily and went real well by all accounts.
    Was it purple? From Aussie? love to see the article.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Was it purple? From Aussie? love to see the article.
    Yep thats the one,will have a hunt when i get a chance and send it up if you like.I was impressed just how user friendly the setup was.Reliable as.Bloke on the TL forum built his own and got 190hp with complete reliability,he made some great onboard clips.Awesome bit of kit.

Bike
    Yeah Baby!
    Firestorm. Great all round bike. Dickheads will tell you the TLS is much better. But it aint. No more top end, dodgy suspension, and over rated. There said it!!!!!

Firestorm is much more forgiving, there are shite loads of them around because they don't all get written off when you push them like what happens to Suzukis. they are very reliable except for a few well known and fixable faults. I did 70,000ks on mine and the only thing that broke was the headlight bulb.

Things to change.

Front suspension is under sprung and over damped from memory. Hydrolic locks with big fat bastards are on them.
    Rear is very hard, and not rebuildable
    Brakes are shite, get decent pads at least.
    Get the tensioners done for peace of mind, but them going was rare 10 years ago before they were all upgraded, so it should be virtually non existent now.
    If the engine dies under heavy braking there is a simple fix to the carbie drain pipes

wont keep up with IL4's in the top end, but will stay with 600's below 200kph.

And they do AWESOME backfires.
    Some things are worth dying for, living is one of them.

Thread Information