Thread: Push the button and 'Click'!

Bike
    09 GSX1400.

Push the button and 'Click'!

Don't you just love that?
    Haven't been out for a few weeks, Sunday arrives and I think,I'll take a run up to the Vic Winter series and have a gander.
    Get all togged up, Leathers,ear plugs,helmet etc.
    Wheel the beast out,lock up and jump on,push button and CLICK !
    Fuck,fuck,fuck !

Now, I don't push these things anymore ! So, everything in reverse and stick the charger on it.

Half hour later I try my luck and the thing goes !!!
    Through it all again and I'm off.
    God these things are fast when you have been off them for a while !

Lovely weather, nice ride,saw a few old faces.
    Back home to do laps on the rideon. Feel better now.
    Anyway trickle charger from now on.

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    1989ZXR400,GSX1100 & PW50
    Hey Gary, was great to catch up, you need to get yourself an Oxford Battery Maintainer, great things, I have a bout twenty of them on vehicles in my lock up, you will never have that problem again
    Let me know when you are heading out for a ride & will try to catch up for a coffee somewhere
    Bazza
    "The road to Hell is really grippy with loads of run off & some wicked lefthanders"

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, when I went out a week ago the engine turned over a bit slow and was a reluctant starter - and it's a new battery. The lesson is probably that we should ride more often.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Quote Originally Posted by bistard View Post
    Hey Gary, was great to catch up, you need to get yourself an Oxford Battery Maintainer, great things, I have a bout twenty of them on vehicles in my lock up, you will never have that problem again
    Let me know when you are heading out for a ride & will try to catch up for a coffee somewhere
    Bazza
    Yeah was good to see you .
    One of my boys gave me a battery minder thingy but like everything I do I didn't use it! will now !
    He bought me a new phone too which I always leave behind !
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	27c1e9e.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	300063
    Yes on the coffee and I will call by too ta.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    Yeah, when I went out a week ago the engine turned over a bit slow and was a reluctant starter - and it's a new battery. The lesson is probably that we should ride more often.
    Being winter doesn't help either. Just that little bit of extra strain the battery now can't cope with...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Yo momma
    Get a Battery Tender.
    http://www.batterymart.com/p-battery...FWELMgodfmYAUw

They work!!!!!

Bike
    V Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonu View Post
    Get a Battery Tender.
    http://www.batterymart.com/p-battery...FWELMgodfmYAUw

They work!!!!!
    Should we also perhaps rewire our houses to only supply 110 Volts?
    There are two types of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data sets

Bike
    2012 Suzuki Boulevard M50
    The next worst thing is that moment between turning the key and realising you've bumped your kill switch. I reckon there's a full 5 seconds there before you realise what's happened, no matter how many times you've done it.

That's a problem with the ST1100, it has a large dial switch and not a less knockable rocker switch.

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Steve View Post
    The next worst thing is that moment between turning the key and realising you've bumped your kill switch. I reckon there's a full 5 seconds there before you realise what's happened, no matter how many times you've done it.

That's a problem with the ST1100, it has a large dial switch and not a less knockable rocker switch.
    Haha yes, when I first went to Syd Aust in the late sixties I was given a CB450 to fang around on.
    I managed to bump the kill switch (of which I had never had before being bred on 2 stroke 250s. )
    Buggered if I could figure it out and called a mate to rescue me ! It was a huge joke on me.He arrived flicked the switch and away we went. I got shit for ages after that.
    My mates were all riding Mach 3s and CB750s which had just come out. We hadn't seen them in NZ yet.

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ... all my batteries are flat, I'm not sure I remember how to ride or which way to go...putting your major/only passion on hold while you catch up with the shit you should have been doing or done over the last twenty or thirty years is very admirable and makes your wife happy but I dont recommend it...the batteries are not the only things to have gone flat...

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonu View Post
    Get a Battery Tender.
    [url]http://www.batterymart.com/p-battery-tender-jr-12v-0_75a-battery-charger.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=021-
    I've got an Optimate 4 which, when I bought it, was supposed to be the king of the heap as far as smart chargers go.

http://www.tecmate-int.com/ENG/u_optimate_4_dual.php

Bloody thing isn't as smart as I thought.

When the previous battery was a bit flat I hooked the Optimate up, it charged for a short time and then went into its test cycle, the test showed that the battery was good. I rode to another suburb, a bit over 5k, then came back out this end of town, parked the bike for a few miinutes and it wouldn't restart. New Battery time.

My faith in the test abilities of the Optimate is consequently somewhat shaken. It's an entertaining beast though. It has ten LEDs which glow or flash in various combinations to indicate what's happening. I was forever checking the manual to see what it was trying to tell me.

The charger can be had with various connections, one set is permanently on the bike so all you have to do is plug it in, you don't have to remove anything to get at the battery. My current arrangements don't permit me to have the charger on without the shed door being unlocked so I don't use it to best advantage.

It is a clever beast but the maximum rate of charge is quite low, that's probably so the battery doesn't over heat, and if you were using it right you wouldn't need a fast rate of charge. Both the bike and the car have new batteries now, so hopefully I won't need a bigger charge rate. I do have an old dumb trickle charger though if I need a quicker boost.

The Optimate test function tells me that the moped battery is now in the first stages of failure. I hope it's right this time.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    CB1300
    Until I sold my optimate 4 with the bike I bought it for it was awesome.
    Resuscitated a truck battery that a truck battery charger would not charge. Bought me a few extra weeks to replace the dead yuasa I bought it to charge.

Going to get another when I can.

Stupid phone / Tapatalk, apologies in advance.

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by St_Gabriel View Post
    Should we also perhaps rewire our houses to only supply 110 Volts?
    Yes that is exactly what I am suggesting...

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    I've got an Optimate 4 which, when I bought it, was supposed to be the king of the heap as far as smart chargers go.

http://www.tecmate-int.com/ENG/u_optimate_4_dual.php

Bloody thing isn't as smart as I thought.

When the previous battery was a bit flat I hooked the Optimate up, it charged for a short time and then went into its test cycle, the test showed that the battery was good. I rode to another suburb, a bit over 5k, then came back out this end of town, parked the bike for a few miinutes and it wouldn't restart. New Battery time.

My faith in the test abilities of the Optimate is consequently somewhat shaken. It's an entertaining beast though. It has ten LEDs which glow or flash in various combinations to indicate what's happening. I was forever checking the manual to see what it was trying to tell me.

The charger can be had with various connections, one set is permanently on the bike so all you have to do is plug it in, you don't have to remove anything to get at the battery. My current arrangements don't permit me to have the charger on without the shed door being unlocked so I don't use it to best advantage.

It is a clever beast but the maximum rate of charge is quite low, that's probably so the battery doesn't over heat, and if you were using it right you wouldn't need a fast rate of charge. Both the bike and the car have new batteries now, so hopefully I won't need a bigger charge rate. I do have an old dumb trickle charger though if I need a quicker boost.

The Optimate test function tells me that the moped battery is now in the first stages of failure. I hope it's right this time.
    I have had the same Battery Tender for 8 years. Up norf where I live we get really cold winters (down to -20c) which is very hard on batteries. The Battery Tender has worked flawlessly and I highly recommend it.

Bike
    98 Bandit 1200

damn frustrating

Quote Originally Posted by roogazza View Post
    Get all togged up, Leathers,ear plugs,helmet etc.
    Wheel the beast out,lock up and jump on,push button and CLICK !
    Fuck,fuck,fuck !
    LMAO - me and the better half - get all togged up .....click!
    different approach; jumper leads from the van, seat off the bike, hook it up to the battery and fire her up, warm it up, put everything away and lock up the van and house - Then I have to turn off the bike to lock down the seat - go to start up - not enough charge yet - go thru the whole exercise again, this time making sure I get the seat put down with the spare key leaving the bike running

Get to the road and stall it ........ fuck fuck fuck

do it all again

get to the gas station hopefully enough charge - fill it up

then run up and down the road to jump start it .....

hopefully by the time I do 220ks it would have some charge in it
    Stop for a drink and food in Te Awamutu, get our gear back on to head home ........ click! F....f....f.....

running up and down the main street to get it started

next day I bought a new battery - all good now
    and I got in a good ride and some exercise
    Live long and prosper ……………… or ride a motorbike

Thread Information