Thread: Motorcycle engineering documentaries?

Bike
    2008 ZX10R

Motorcycle engineering documentaries?

Hi All,
    I was wondering if you can suggest of any good documentaries or educational video that explain motorcycle engineering.
    I am looking for videos that explain how different part of the bike work and how it all fits together. E.g. a video that explains how tyres and temperature distribution works. How suspension works and why its so important.
    There are so many you tube channels or videos that explain this stuff for cars but cant find anything for bikes.
    I really like keith code's twist of the wrist video. Although he explains a lot of the stuff i am after, however his focus is on how to ride better.
    So i am looking for something like his video but that focuses more on engineering of it all.
    Or anything similar to Keith Code's video.

ANy other good documentaries about biking/riding/motorcycles etc are welcome too
    Heres some of my suggestions.

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-...ies/22952.html

and "Why We Ride"

Thanks

Bike
    Obsolete ones.

Rocket III

Triumph doco.

Manopausal.

Bike
    A fast one
    This video is good - Some of the terminology is a bit colloquial but it doesn't stop you from learning.

Bike
    '74 MV Augusta I wish
    Blog Entries

Bike
    2008 ZX10R
    Quote Originally Posted by The End View Post
    This video is good - Some of the terminology is a bit colloquial but it doesn't stop you from learning.

may be i wasnt clear. i know how automotive engineering works. I know how a combustion engine, clutch, gearing, braking etc works in a car. The clutch is the same concept in the car. I am talking about specific bike engineering.
    Braking, suspension and tyres to be exact as they are important in a bike for different reasons. Because of 2 wheels the engineering of this changes a little.

This video is very good but i am looking for something like this in more detail on all 3 topics.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi3DVULqyEs

Bike
    There is a series called 'Twist the Wrist' (not Keith Codes thing) (I think? something like that) which doesn't get specfic like you want, however it somes some detail of the assembly of the bikes for each manufacturer it covers.
    Personally that was my favourite part of each episode (8 in total I think), particularly seeing a Bimota fabricator turning parts by hand on a lathe.

Otherwise, www.howstuffworks.com is what you want

Bike
    2008 ZX10R
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    There is a series called 'Twist the Wrist' (not Keith Codes thing) (I think? something like that) which doesn't get specfic like you want, however it somes some detail of the assembly of the bikes for each manufacturer it covers.
    Personally that was my favourite part of each episode (8 in total I think), particularly seeing a Bimota fabricator turning parts by hand on a lathe.

Otherwise, www.howstuffworks.com is what you want
    Hi, Thanks for that. That might be good. I will try to google it. Would you happen to know the name or any information that might help me find it. When i google only keith code's one shows up.

Heres my 2 cents in the matter. This site is really good. Lots of good information. Very precise and enough detail to make you understand but not too much that bores you. http://biketrackdayshub.com/
    lots of basic stuff too.
    but its good.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Don't know of any docos giving just what you want - but they may be out there...

Books however, Motorcycle Engineering by P E Irving - long out of print I suspect, covers pretty well everything you'd need to know.
    More recently The Racing Motorcycle by Bradley Vols 1 & 2 - if you can find them - the world seems to be waiting for reprints.

Bike
    2008 ZX10R

found some more stuff

Heres some more stuff i just found...
    http://www.autoevolution.com/moto-how-to/

it looks pretty good. havent read anything yet..
    It would be nice to find short youtube videos for this kind of information. I guess i will keep digging

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by jafa21 View Post
    Hi, Thanks for that. That might be good. I will try to google it. Would you happen to know the name or any information that might help me find it. When i google only keith code's one shows up.

Heres my 2 cents in the matter. This site is really good. Lots of good information. Very precise and enough detail to make you understand but not too much that bores you. http://biketrackdayshub.com/
    lots of basic stuff too.
    but its good.
    It's 'Twist the Throttle'. My bad sorry

Bike
    a smelly one
    Not a documentary, and not exactly focussed on things like frame/suspension engineering etc, but I found The Two Stroke Tuner's Handbook by Gordon Jennings to be a nice book to chew on if you're into that kinda stuff.

http://www.amrca.com/tech/tuners.pdf

Bike
    2012 Suzuki Boulevard M50
    Quote Originally Posted by jafa21 View Post
    I know how a combustion engine, clutch, gearing, braking etc works in a car. The clutch is the same concept in the car.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi3DVULqyEs
    Not quite! A car has a 'dry' clutch. A motorbike, except Ducatis, has a 'wet' clutch which allows the rider to slip the clutch to smooth take off. A wet clutch allows the clutch plates to slip over each other without heating and wearing.

Bike
    2008 ZX10R
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Steve View Post
    Not quite! A car has a 'dry' clutch. A motorbike, except Ducatis, has a 'wet' clutch which allows the rider to slip the clutch to smooth take off. A wet clutch allows the clutch plates to slip over each other without heating and wearing.
    Theres always one smart ass

Thread Information