Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: State Highway 43

Bike
    2010 DRZ400SM, 2006 ZX10R

Thumbs up State Highway 43

Hi all,

I have been wanting to do SH 43 for a while now but never had the time nor opportunity to do it.
    Coming the NZ Tattoo Convention (New Plymouth) in November, it seems like the perfect opportunity to do it (From Auckland)

I've read its one of the most dangerous roads in NZ and has a very high motorcycle crash rate.

Ive been riding for just over 2 years now and I feel my riding experience is pretty good, not track ready but good enough.

Wanting some advice from people who have done this road before, how bad is it really? Am I gonna die?

Thanks in advance

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    The road does demand more respect than some others. The seal is often of questionable quality, so if it's raining, it's likely to be slippery. The gravel section in the middle is about 14km last time I went through. It's so hard packed (unless it's just been graded) that it's almost like a sealed road.

Don't treat the road like a race track and you should be fine. It feels like a whole different country out that way
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    ---2000 Triumph SprintT
    Forgotten world highway? Did that last summer with the wife as pillion. We went from Wanganui through to Taumaranui. From Wangas through to the pub at Whangamomona is normal twisty..but care needed as it's not a wide road. KEEP well left. From the pub onward - well there is a 12km gravel road section. 30kph on the gravel and keep well left as logging trucks come from the other way - as we discovered. This gravel section is not hard to do....not very loose...we did on a Triumph Sprint GT without issue. But I did go slow. From the end of the gravel...more twisties over similar tarseal...a bit narrow in places.
    Care needed rather than any particular skill. Do it. It was a big day. From Palmy return it was an all day jobbie...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2893.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	400.2 KB 
ID:	300093  

Bike
    '74 MV Augusta I wish
    Blog Entries
    Did it a couple of years ago on my VFR. No problem if taken easy and gravel was fine (and I dislike gravel) - lots of scenery so take camera and a full tank.

Bike
    motocompo
    Took the gs through two up a couple of years ago. I'd say there's far more challenging roads about.
    Just treat it with respect & don't be in a hurry.

Bike
    Various
    To the OP

Quote Originally Posted by Trade_nancy View Post
    KEEP well left.
    ^ This.
    Probably the most important piece of advice for SH43 as you often get vehicles well over the centreline, logging trucks, tourist camper vans and the like. Keep your wits about you and keep the pace reasonable and you should be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Trade_nancy View Post
    From the pub onward - well there is a 12km gravel road section. 30kph on the gravel and keep well left as logging trucks come from the other way - as we discovered. This gravel section is not hard to do....not very loose...we did on a Triumph Sprint GT without issue. But I did go slow. From the end of the gravel...more twisties over similar tarseal...a bit narrow in places.
    Care needed rather than any particular skill. Do it. It was a big day. From Palmy return it was an all day jobbie...
    +1 On the gravel section, if you've ridden through the average roadworks OK you should be able to handle this section (it's usually pretty well graded/compacted), again keep left, ride to your abilities and keep an eye on your mirrors for faster riders, particularly on weekends, otherwise they'll scare the crap out of you as the fly past if you don't know they're there, again - keeping left and holding your line helps. Keep the words of caution in mind and enjoy the ride.

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Some good comments so far.

As has been mantioned, the big thing is to stay on your own side of the road - not always as easy as it sounds, there are one or two corners that can surprise.
    The signs that say 25KPH mean what they say. If there has been any recent rain be aware of damp patches on shaded parts of corners. At this time of year perhaps even if there hasn't been any recent rain?

The metal section is generally more hard dirt than gravel. I have heard of B Kings traversing it and have seen Goldwings and big block Harleys coming through there so you shouldn't have any trouble.

There is no petrol between Taumarunui and Stratford so fill up before you head off the main road.

Stop at Whangamomona if the pub is open. Be sensible and you shouldn't have any problems.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r
    Done it various times on various bikes,

Only time it was a bit tricky, was in winter on way to cold Kiwi on big block Harley....

Heavy Rain made unpaved/gravel section quite slimy/slippery....

Tires got completely clogged up, which made for a interesting little mudwrestling stretch.....
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by awayatc View Post
    Done it various times on various bikes,

Only time it was a bit tricky, was in winter on way to cold Kiwi on big block Harley....

Heavy Rain made unpaved/gravel section quite slimy/slippery....

Tires got completely clogged up, which made for a interesting little mudwrestling stretch.....
    Yep, was like that when I went thru last! Early Dec last year. Plus it had just been re metalled and graded. Hard work on a little Buell!
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    bandit
    It's a good road. Treat it with respect and you'll be fine ... and take note of what everyone else said - it's a narrow country road and the local treat it as a farm track ...
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    2011 Suziki V strom 650
    Blog Entries
    Done it on an Aprilia RSVR and my Vstrom. On the gravel there's a few bends and inclines and the 4x4s come the other way in the centre of the road at over 100. Just make sure you can see well ahead and ride at a speed that allows you to get out of the way safely when something does come the other way at speed. At the tops of a couple of the saddles there are a few places where the road has dropped away. Though they have been repaired it can be a bit unnerving to hit a big dip when you are well left and something is coming the other way.

Just relax and have some fun
    Legalise anarchy

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Bunch of us went through there at Easter. 6 of us, various bikes and skill levels.
    Signs mean what they say, opposing traffic is always going too fast and often on your side, but as others have said, stay alert and to the left and you should be fine.
    Travel at a comfortable speed and enjoy the views, it was my first time through there same for the wife on her M50.Who led the rear element right through in amazingly bad weather, wind, rain, a bit of hail and most definitely wet,leaf covered and slippery roads, without a problem.
    The Pub and the locals made the stop a good time, don't forget to get the Tee Shirt and have a feed, it's a bloody great destination and they need all the trade they can get.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Went over it in my hot-rod '55 Ford truck with barely 100mm of ground-clearance. If I can do it safely in that vehicle it should be OK on a bike.

Keep left, watch for goats, turkeys and pigs out on the road and be careful on the level-crossings - oh, and take nothing for granted.

After the pub things are a lot easier.
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    A Tractor
    Blog Entries
    I have been through there a few times without any worries. All from Stratford side heading up country.

UNTIL......last time. For once I was happy I am a girl and can get away with being one...lol. It was being graded and the big pile of gravel in the middle was too high for the ground clearance on my bike. There were many corners where we were directed to the other side of the road and it just wasnt happening. Thankfully it was a quieter time of the year and mostly locals on the road who seemed to see the look of exhaustion in my eyes. Many went around me and actually nodded.

Apart from that it is a road that is such fun to have an explore on. I plan to do it again. Just be prepared for the unexpected.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bike
    FJR1300
    Blog Entries
    What they all said. Also wild life running around Sheep, Goats, Pigs and lets not forget the Bee's (over summer)>
    Awesome road, once you've done it any chance you get..............>
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    V-Stroms look like an accident in a heat pump factory.

Thread Information