Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hornet 900 or similar bikes - problems with smelly exhausts?

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by The End View Post
    Bugger me more money I don't have! Well first thing I will try is to give the air cleaner and things mentioned earlier a look and clean. Then we'll have to see about the power commander.
    Dont worry about a power commander. And worry more about the fuel economy once your more used to riding it. But yes check the filter. I suspect that could be the cause. Also if your open road a lot and economy is an issue go +1 on the front sprocket. It fixes the speedo error on the Hornet as well.

Bike
    bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by The End View Post
    As for running too rich - I have only had the bike a week and haven't tampered with it - Is there another way to tell if it is too rich? (don't want to go changing things on small suspicion)
    Pull a spark plug - if it's shining and clean it's running fine - if it's black and oily it's running rich ..
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by Banditbandit View Post
    Pull a spark plug - if it's shining and clean it's running fine - if it's black and oily it's running rich ..
    Not the case these days. With all the adiditves to get the octane in fuel, ya nearly need a magnifying glass to read the very base of the electrode only. The general colour of the plug is of little consequence.

Bike
    bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Not the case these days. With all the adiditves to get the octane in fuel, ya nearly need a magnifying glass to read the very base of the electrode only. The general colour of the plug is of little consequence.
    Ya learn something new every day ....

I spent most of the 70s and a fair portion of the 80s keeping bikes on the road .. Nowadays I enjoy riding my bike into the shop and saying "fix it - I'll pick it up after work!" So all my knowledge is OLD .. (I'm pretty good with Meridian Triumphs and BSAs tho' ...)
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Thread Information