Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm buying a 2nd bike

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EJK View Post
    Not so much. The OP will quickly outgrow power wise.

There is a ZX14R on trademe for $7500 at the moment.
    Yes but by the time he adds a NOS kit, the price will rapidly escalate north of the 15K mark.
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    Between bikes
    I had a Scorpio for my first 6 months (on L's) then upgraded to a Ninja 250.

I felt like I was ready for more bike after 6 months on the 250. However I kept surprising myself with what I didn't know.

Even when I got my Full (last month), sold the Ninja and got an SV650, there was still some things the 250 could have taught me. But I was ready for the bigger bike nonetheless.

Hence my recommendation is get a busa.
    "It's hard to keep an open mind, when so many people are trying to put things in it"

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Ninja 250/300s are beige. Like a Hyosung. I'll sell you a Hyosung.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Erelyes View Post
    I had a Scorpio for my first 6 months (on L's) then upgraded to a Ninja 250.

I felt like I was ready for more bike after 6 months on the 250. However I kept surprising myself with what I didn't know.

Even when I got my Full (last month), sold the Ninja and got an SV650, there was still some things the 250 could have taught me. But I was ready for the bigger bike nonetheless.

Hence my recommendation is get a busa
    Had a fang on a new Busa today. Total smoochy pussycat. Then I gave it a big handful at 100kmh in 3rd, on a private road. "Goodness me" I thought to myself prior to caressing the Brembos.

In all seriousness, which isn't much, summit like an SV, GSX, ER ect on the LAMS is perfick.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by tcshred View Post
    I'm looking at buying my second bike. Currently i've got a Yamaha Scorpio 225 which has been great around town. But on the motorway its too slow and i'd like something a bit newer

I
    Am I going to outgrow it too fast? Like I did with my Scorpio, or should I go for something bigger? I use it around town 95% of the time so its not like I need to go fast. But I also plan on using it for some short trips like Auckland to Hamilton about once a month.

Anything else I should consider? most bikes seem to jump from the 250 sort of range to 500 or 650 cc
    It's not necessarily the size of the engine ... a 500cc cruiser is a very different proposition from a Ninja 300 ...

I think you will outgrow the Ninja too quick for the money you spend.

Have a look around .. there are plenty out there. Anything that you purchase now is likely to have a shortish shelf life ...

Have a look at this Ducati ..

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-769989343.htm

Or this Honda

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-770737916.htm
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I would go for a 500cc. It really would be a waste of money trading up to something only 75cc more. With a 500 you will have the power for long trips and its lighter weight over bigger bikes will make handling on hills better. The lighter weight is not so good in side winds but as you are still a learner you want something that's reasonably easy to corner on too. I would not get a sports bike as the lowered riding position can restrict peripheral vision.
    Hey I didn't know ol Valentino was still here!
    Ignore this advice, go ride lots of bigger bikes and see for yourself, the other posters have got it right, the 300 will fade quickly, a bigger probably less expensive more capable 6 or more LAM's will do the trick.
    Go have some fun riding different machines, the right one is the one you don't want to get off when you ride back to the shop.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    Quote Originally Posted by caseye View Post
    Hey I didn't know ol Valentino was still here!
    Ignore this advice, go ride lots of bigger bikes and see for yourself, the other posters have got it right, the 300 will fade quickly, a bigger probably less expensive more capable 6 or more LAM's will do the trick.
    Go have some fun riding different machines, the right one is the one you don't want to get off when you ride back to the shop.
    This bit of advice also, is worth partly ignoring.. "Go have some fun riding different machines, the right one is the one you don't want to get off when you ride back to the shop."
    There are plenty of folks over the years that purchase on 'emotion' then regret it several months later.

previous to my current (according to this "you'll soon outgrow the 300" theory) underpowered bike I had (still do) a ZZR1100, even today still a machine that turns in a respectable velocity 20 yrs after its inception. Prior to this and still lurking in the garage an FJ1200......
    Firstly, identify your need, sport? commute? tour? (weekend distances). etc.... if your highest priority is commute? protection (fairing/screen) riding position that gives a good traffic view, is more preferable than arse up, chin down sprotbikes. If you want to do all?? then you will have to make compromises for sure.
    Your physical size and the seat height is a consideration, no good being on tippy toes if you are frequently stopping. I've ridden the GPX/ZZR 250's (which really the 300 is based on) they are OK, competent, and will do the job, but???
    Even though a 650 single will be no faster for top end, it has much better grunt.. (this does not always mean it is quicker over a standing 1/4, but roll on throttle in top, or down a gear, rather than constantly playing tunes on the gearbox to keep it in the power band.
    Using my two old bikes as a good example, the ZZR will bury the FJ for top end and acceleration,,, untill, top gear roll on under 120 kph, or below the 6k rpm where the kwaka produces it's real power.. The FJ is still a formidable 'torque monster' and will pull from 50-60kph in top gear, the kwaka 'bogs down'...
    I'd agree something like a 500 is a good step, GS500, or the EN?500 kwaka (both good solid 500cc twins). The 400 gpz would be OK if low mileage.
    You have things like the BMW F650 series, Yam XT, Suzook DR650, Kwak KLX650's as well, all capable of 160-170ish kph, and capable of doing big distances. There are plenty (and some years ago I also would have said, you can never have too much power) who espouse BHP, trick suspension, attac, YPVS, yada yada yada........
    My simple answer is, most long term riders I know for 'years of riding', distances, age, buy a bike that fits their actual needs, not the ego...
    I'm lucky, my bike does both, suits my needs, and gives me satisfaction every time I ride it.... even though it is 'underpowered'......
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Thread Information