Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm buying a 2nd bike

Bike
    SV650

I'm buying a 2nd bike

I'm looking at buying my second bike. Currently i've got a Yamaha Scorpio 225 which has been great around town. But on the motorway its too slow and i'd like something a bit newer

I haven't been riding that long, so don't really want anything too big. I got my restricted a few weeks ago after being on my learners about a month or two.

I've been looking at a Ninja 300R. Its reasonably priced, looks good.

Am I going to outgrow it too fast? Like I did with my Scorpio, or should I go for something bigger? I use it around town 95% of the time so its not like I need to go fast. But I also plan on using it for some short trips like Auckland to Hamilton about once a month.

Anything else I should consider? most bikes seem to jump from the 250 sort of range to 500 or 650 cc

Bike
    None any more
    Your first step up should be to 260cc. Take great care, particularly with Power Bands.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    A blue one
    make sure it comes fitted with the yellow power band not the green. ( stock )

Bike
    2007 Suzuki SV1000s
    I think the ninja 300 sounds like a really good fit if you're doing 95% of your riding in town. They are bloody nice bikes for what they are.

Bike
    A fast one
    Quote Originally Posted by tcshred View Post
    I'm looking at buying my second bike. Currently i've got a Yamaha Scorpio 225 which has been great around town. But on the motorway its too slow and i'd like something a bit newer

I haven't been riding that long, so don't really want anything too big. I got my restricted a few weeks ago after being on my learners about a month or two.

Am I going to outgrow it too fast? Like I did with my Scorpio, or should I go for something bigger? I use it around town 95% of the time so its not like I need to go fast. But I also plan on using it for some short trips like Auckland to Hamilton about once a month.

Anything else I should consider? most bikes seem to jump from the 250 sort of range to 500 or 650 cc

I had a Scorpio for a little over 3 years. During that time, it did me well for inner city commuting, motorways and the odd weekend ride. Sure you're not going anywhere super fast, but it was a great bike and I never had any mechanical issues with it. I never found the low HP an issue until I moved out in the country and started commuting 130kms a day. While I managed it on my Scorpio for 4 weeks rain/hail/shine eventually I realised it wasn't practical to be on such a small bike for a big commute.

That said, my advice would be to avoid the Ninja 300; not only is it expensive for what it is, but for the same price or lower you could get a good condition LAMS bike. What is your budget?

You will eventually find that if you really get bitten by the motorcycle bug, that 300ccs on the Ninja won't be enough for when you decide to go on proper weekend rides. Instead of stepping up 75ccs, save your money in the long run and get something bigger.

I've just moved from a Scorpio to a Hornet 900 and have found the transition fine. Sure the 900 has a hell of a lot more power (not complaining) but it hasn't been difficult to get used to. Being cautious and a mindset of being aware that more horsepower = more chance of getting into trouble has kept me fine for the past 9 days of owning the 900.

Good luck!

Bike
    1999 Honda Hornet CB600FX
    I think you're going to miss out on a lot of awesome bikes if you jump up too high from a 225.

So Ninja 300 sounds ok to me or a 400 cc bike. I would go for a KTM Duke 390, though.
    ---------------------------
    Disclaimer: Any lapses in spelling, tact, or fact are transmission errors.

Bike
    SV650
    The Suzuki GSR400 looks like a good option too, but it looks like they don't import these into NZ? nothing on the NZ Suzuki website.

Bike
    1999 Honda Hornet CB600FX
    Colemans Suzuki in Auckland generally import some nice 400 cc bikes for the LAMS market here from Japan. So they would be a good starting point.

At the moment they have a Ninja 400 on Trademe (I didn't even know there were 400cc Ninjas...): http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-757472251.htm

Or you go for something like this. Good in traffic as you sit higher and see better what is going on around you: http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-760316997.htm
    Disclaimer: Any lapses in spelling, tact, or fact are transmission errors.

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    The Japs make a lot of 400cc versions of different models. The 400cc is the limit the average rider can legally ride without having to sit a upgraded licence which is apparently a fairly differcult level to pass.
    (I think).
    " Rule books are for the Guidance of the Wise, and the Obedience of Fools"

Bike
    You will outgrow anything LAMS if you want to. How much power is enough anyway
    Personally I would go for an older inline 4 250-400 than the newer single bangers if you're after decentish power, otherwise prepare for disappointment or look higher in the LAMS range.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    FFFFFUUUUUUUUCCCCCKKKK NOOOOOOOOOOO, a "what bike" thread... this is the shit i wake up to on a fucken sunday morning?? god damn you. god damn you to hell.

Quote Originally Posted by tcshred View Post
    FFFFFUUUUUUUUCCCCCKKKK NOOOOOOOOOOO

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Scorpio will do up to 135 on the motorway.

Slow down Rossi.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Grashopper View Post
    I would go for a KTM Duke 390, though.
    hands down +1.

Bike
    a red heap
    You can get a K6 GSXR 1000 for the same price as a ninja 300, the perfect all round bike.

Bike
    S1000RR
    Quote Originally Posted by nodrog View Post
    You can get a K6 GSXR 1000 for the same price as a ninja 300, the perfect all round bike.
    Not so much. The OP will quickly outgrow power wise.

There is a ZX14R on trademe for $7500 at the moment.

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Thread Information