Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New to NZ

Bike
    http://wams.org.nz/wams_desktop/index.aspx

WAMs is your friend. It will show you where formed and unformed legal roads are. A lot of roads that look public are actually private, and also vice versa (which can get tricky if the locals think otherwise).
    As people have access to more and more public info with more ease, and as the population grows, access has become more of a problem in some areas.
    If you're unsure it is best to go home and have a look at WAMs maps, compare them to LINZ? maps to make sure you are in the right regarding access.

From a quick Google of the road names that area has an legal unformed road, otherwise a lot is private bach access. Friendly word in the right ear usually opens things like that up, finding the ear is the hard part.

There is also the easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission route, and if you are not a dickhead or and haven't been rarking things up you shouldn't get shot for having a nose in some areas where legal access is 'questionable'. Just use common sense where it applies =)

More often than not, none of this is a problem, but it is good to know just incase some tard tries to charge you a toll for a public road (some private roads/farms have small tolls. Sometimes it is just some booze.).

Bike
    Aprillia RSV1000R 92 KX500
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RainMan303 View Post
    So I was poking around the Google Maps around Wellington, and I noticed an interesting road near the Karori Golf Club of South Makara Rd: Oteranga Bay Rd. When I switched to Street View, I noticed the road (Oteranga Bay Rd) is blocked off - why would that be? Is it common for roads to be off-limits to general public, or did I just happen to pick one? Just curious - wanting to get to know the place and local laws/customs.
    Prob a wind farm access road.

Bike
    2012 KTM 990 Adventure
    Okay, things are coming along nicely now. My job has been confirmed - departing for Wellington in October. Arranging for my KTM 990 Adventure shipment right now, but probably won't get there and be road-worthy until November-December. Any recommendations for places of particular interest for the Adventure and me to explore when we get on the road (or better yet when we got onto the NZ dirt)? Looking for some good places to ride around Wellington for starters (it'll take a while to settle in and venture out further).

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Karapoti park gives you a bit of space and everything from gravel roads to actual trials stuff. If my 525 and my aging carcase are both behaving themselves when you get here give me a call and I'll take you out there and point you at the good bits.

You're supposed to have a special permit from the regional council and it's worth at least making an effort. I'll see if I can find a link later...
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    2012 KTM 990 Adventure
    You're making me think twice about leaving my 525 in the US now. I think the 990 will be a better bike for exploring the islands, but I know I'll definitely miss my 525.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bike
    2012 KTM 990 Adventure
    Been in NZ for about a month now, and loving it. Heading back to the U.S. to close on a few things, and be back mid-December with family in tow - the 990 should also be in the country by then. So far been to Wellington, Auckland, Akaroa, Palmerston North, Castlepoint, and Ohakune. Must admit, I haven't had much chance to get out and find much KTM 990 territory, but I'm keen on doing so once the 990 gets here.
    Question: I see locals riding with a metal rack that's essentially L-shaped to which a back pack get be bungeed. Where is a good place to get one at a reasonable price (local shop or Internet)?
    Also, are there any recommended independent Moto shops in the Wellington/Hutt area? In the US, Moto dealers are typically good for new bikes, but much higher priced than "generic" shops that are not associated with an OEM. Is it same in NZ?

Bike
    CB1300

New to NZ

Any good dealer can sort you out with a Ventura pack rack. The L brackets are model specific the rest is quite modular.
    The brackets will have a number on them ( mine is 12 most common seems to be 14) as long as the top frame had the same number it fits. Sport racks for lower profile, grab rails, pack racks etc.
    Ventura bags are expensive but very good.
    Google Ventura fitment guide to get to the website with better data.
    I can't say I know of any generic shops that are not associated with any marquees other than on line shops.

Stupid phone / Tapatalk, apologies in advance.

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Here

http://www.ventura-bike.com/

Have fun...

Thread Information