Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: New chick, very keen to ride!

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by oneofsix View Post
    A little bit with Drew on this. IF you check out the likes of http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/ and their ratings you will discover that some cheaper helmets outrank dearer ones. Often the increase in price is for noise reduction, lightness and other "comfort factors" which aren't so important for a learner on a budget. L2's rate well.

I saw an argument above about buying secondhand helmets, as a basic rule don't. Check out youtube on helmets for how to fit and why not to trust a dropped helmet and with a secondhand one you can't be certain it has been well treated. Jay Leno has quite a good youtube on helmets.
    Best reason I have ever had for never buying a second hand helmet... When I smacked a traffic island fairly hard with my HJC there as no external evidence I an impact. Not even noticeable scratches in the polycarbonate.

Given the ringing in the ears and the headache. I knew it copped a good thump.

I cut it open. Around where I estimated the hit was.
    There was about a centimetre deep void in the polystyrene.
    That quarter would never protect anything well again.
    Polycarbonate is good in that it stays together through multiple events in the same accident. Bad in that it hides all sorts of ill history.

Stupid phone / Tapatalk, apologies in advance.

Bike
    CB1300
    Used helmets as an art resource, good idea.
    Clean them well unless you want a mould farm though.

Stupid phone / Tapatalk, apologies in advance.

Bike
    Yamaha
    Blog Entries

Blah

I just want to say that I brought my helmet second hand!!! yay!!!! and from a WRECKERS at that! nope, no blood inside the helmet, outsides a little scuffed and i ripped the polystyrene out so my headphones would fit in works perfectly! Lana Del Rey so loud I can't hear the exhaust or concentrate 100%

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by mstriumph View Post
    as you say, to each their own
    but man up, buddy, don't skulk behind your keyboard
    call me a retard to my face - give me the opportunity of hurting you a little

Yes. A fist fight because we disagree on helmets on a thread on Kiwibiker is the only way to settle this...I'll meet you at dawn outside Chipmunks Playland...

A little bit with Drew on this. IF you check out the likes of http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/ and their ratings you will discover that some cheaper helmets outrank dearer ones. Often the increase in price is for noise reduction, lightness and other "comfort factors" which aren't so important for a learner on a budget. L2's rate well.

I saw an argument above about buying secondhand helmets, as a basic rule don't. Check out youtube on helmets for how to fit and why not to trust a dropped helmet and with a secondhand one you can't be certain it has been well treated. Jay Leno has quite a good youtube on helmets.
    That's what I was getting at. It takes a bit more than just throwing money at a new helmet, or anything, to get a good one. You can still end up with a dud even with some of the spendy ones.

As for Jay Leno on helmets...you'd think he'd be able to get a helmet made to cover his chin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...rhQiT-k#t=442s

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDGT
    Quote Originally Posted by *Boot's* View Post
    I just want to say that I brought my helmet second hand!!! yay!!!! and from a WRECKERS at that! nope, no blood inside the helmet, outsides a little scuffed and i ripped the polystyrene out so my headphones would fit in works perfectly! Lana Del Rey so loud I can't hear the exhaust or concentrate 100%
    Esky is not a helmet brand, you have been ripped!
    Political Correctness, the chief weapon of whiney arse bastards

Bike
    '09 Bandit 1250s
    Quote Originally Posted by *Boot's* View Post

"My first troll".... Make your trolls more subtle and you might get some bites.

Bike
    2005 FZS1000 "Tasha"
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    1. and $300 for a NEW helmet is in the lower end of the price range. Many do have the idea in their head ... the more you pay ... the better protection. Little has been said on how the fit comfort affects the protection it should give.

2. A helmet wont always save your head. At best ... it can reduce the injuries to your head. In some cases .. the helmet doesn't even touch ground (or anything else). Too many believe ... when they strap on their lid (and jacket/pants) ... they become bullet proof.

3. The OP lists her location as New Zealand. I think you are closer ...
    1 and 2
    you are right of course, and everything is taken in balance ... personally I can't wear certain makes of helmets, the shape is all wrong - I wouldn't have known that without trying them on (much less angst-ridden in a shop) ...

then, of course, there are certain colour combinations I won't wear, certain designs that I don't like ... (trivial? MOI??!)

3. Sure, my friend ... pay her return fare over here and I'll gladly take her shopping ...
    ... ...

Grass wedges its way between the closest blocks of marble and it brings them down. This power of feeble life which can creep in anywhere is greater than that of the mighty behind their cannons....... - Honore de Balzac

Bike
    2005 FZS1000 "Tasha"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post

Yes. A fist fight because we disagree on helmets on a thread on Kiwibiker is the only way to settle this...I'll meet you at dawn outside Chipmunks Playland...

heck, I didn't mention fists? Your sexual proclivities are entirely your own business
    ... ...

Grass wedges its way between the closest blocks of marble and it brings them down. This power of feeble life which can creep in anywhere is greater than that of the mighty behind their cannons....... - Honore de Balzac

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Aaaaanyhoo, back on track now. The bike you choose in a perfect world, is what fits you best. What you're actually gonna get, is what you can muster up the self control to wait for that fits your budget. So don't agonise over it, you're gonna love whatever you get. Or hate it with a passion, in which case you'll know what to avoid next time.

So, here are the major 'don'ts' when it comes to bike selection.

Don't; look at a used Hyosung
    look at an eighties 250cc sports bike
    trust anyone selling something
    buy something that needs work.
    inspect a bike at night or when it's raining

Follow these simple rules and get a helmet, gloves, jacket, and lace up your Docs. It's time to do some sick fucken skids!

Bike
    Yamaha
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by buggerit View Post
    Esky is not a helmet brand, you have been ripped!
    Your right 100%. I'm only riding with a helmet to keep the feds happy. To be honest they probably cause more accidents than we like to think about.
    How do i delete my KB account?

Bike
    2004 Suzuki GSX250 Intruder
    Coming from scooters, would also recommend a 250 to start on (125's occasionally don't like up-hills) and being a Suzuki fanboy, the TU250 looks cool :P

As for gear, you can get a good helmet for ~$160, know a few people - including myself - with the HJC CS-14 but RJays has some good ones at the same price range. 1Tonne has quality affordable textile jackets, RJays jackets are good as well (~$200).

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    1 and 2
    you are right of course, and everything is taken in balance ... personally I can't wear certain makes of helmets, the shape is all wrong - I wouldn't have known that without trying them on (much less angst-ridden in a shop) ...
    What is "Taken in balance" ... ??? Is that ... looking at the "Big picture" ie: you buy safety equipment to save your ass (or other important bits) what the colour/design painted on it is secondary. My favorite colour is blue ... but I have yet to find high vis gear in blue. Does that mean I wont/shouldn't wear high vis gear .. ??

then, of course, there are certain colour combinations I won't wear, certain designs that I don't like ... (trivial? MOI??!)
    I could never place judgement on your personal preferences ... (lest you comment on mine .. )

If it fits correctly ... does the intended job it's supposed too ... I'll probably wear it (Pink is out though ). I do know a few that custom paint helmets .. should the colour/design be NOT to my liking ..

3. Sure, my friend ... pay her return fare over here and I'll gladly take her shopping ...
    She lives in New Zealand ... how hard could it be to track her down. BUT ... Considering the evil reasons suggested/stated by some in THIS thread .. as to why male members reply to these Biker Angel threads ... any attempt by me to do such ... may be misinterpreted.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    If that was retardation, epic win?

So it's OK to spend $300 on a shitty brand new lid because it apparently protects your noggin better than any secondhand/new secondhand one will without considering any other factors?

I was trying to point out that just because something is new from a store doesn't mean it is good, just like something top of the line but 5 years secondhand probably isn't a smart buy, but nevermind, you're on rails with your point of view....

Anyway, OP doesn't seem retarded (always a bonus) so I'm sure they'll be fine, other wise each to their own...but I would rather a good hardly/not used second hand helmet off trademe than some of the shit you can buy new for the same price.
    You know Tazz,
    you seem hell bent on misquoting, twisting or simply transposing what is said to suit your own argument. No one has said that just paying $300 is an automatic good buy, and I believe the OP doesnt need this type of torpedoing of information.
    The advice has been to get knowledgeable help, Drew has in one post given her more help than your 'missile firing' at Triumph girl.
    She is NEW (OP), so S/hand lids is not really on her agenda unitill she has experience, surely? A good one like an LS2 is a reasonable start. Yes some cheap helmets DO rate better than expensive ones in the SHARP testing. But there is comfort, shell size, how the inner is constructed, long oval, round, more 'square' etc. No point buying ill fitting, noisy or one that may score well, but is cheap n cheerful in its fittings and fixtures?
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Almost 3 pages since the op has posted. Whats everyone talking about?
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    2004 Suzuki GSX250 Intruder
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy1200 View Post
    Almost 3 pages since the op has posted. Whats everyone talking about?
    Affordable gear and a good learner bike...

Thread Information