Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New PR4s?

Bike
    2010 Honda CB1000R Predator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    I am also interested to hear from a rider who has them instead of a salesperson.
    For my given application PPx would be me handing over all my disposable income every 60 -90 days.
    That is not such a straight forward answer as you might think. The PP3 has a much stronger carcass than a PR4. The stronger carcass wont distort as much under higher power, and the PP3 wont shear off rubber as easily in the same circumstances.

I'm guessing the PR4 will last longer if you go easy on the throttle, and the PP3 will last longer if you like applying a lot of power.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Worth noting, with the possible exception of the salesperson recommending them, everyone who has voices an opinion had either flat pun said T30s suck in the wet or hinted they they were a fair weather tyre.
    I note that I have been unable l find a favourable review that includes comments about wet handling. All the favourable reviews state that it did not rain during extended or road tests.
    Perhaps the journalists don't want to put into print what so many amateurs are happy to say?

I am trying to decide in the next set if shoes for my lady. Based on price I was heavily in favour of the bridgestones. Post google: either Michelin are very good at promoting their product through social media or the PR4s really are the better choice.
    Cycletreads recommendation was to PR4 the back but save some money with a PR2 at the front.
    Stupid phone / Tapatalk, apologies in advance.
    Well Treads push Michy as they are the NZ agent for them.

Journalists approve of whoever is advertising in there magazines.

What about some Pilot Roads? Cheap and last well. Not a race tyre but your commuting.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by p.dath View Post
    That is not such a straight forward answer as you might think. The PP3 has a much stronger carcass than a PR4. The stronger carcass wont distort as much under higher power, and the PP3 wont shear off rubber as easily in the same circumstances.

I'm guessing the PR4 will last longer if you go easy on the throttle, and the PP3 will last longer if you like applying a lot of power.
    Oh dear.

Bike
    CB1300
    I'd say the CB1300 is more of a serving of torque than power, while I like to hustle corners as much as the next fella, 80% of my current riding is southern motorway.

Bike
    A
    If it's just safe clicks in mixed conditions you're after, PR4 or T30 will have you covered. Unless you're into pushing the boundaries either tyre will look after your hide. My choice is PR4 for the application you mentioned, but yeah like yourself I've yet to hear rave reviews on the T30 regarding its wet weather behaviour...

Bike
    CB1300
    And that is the rub, about half of the next 12,000 will be in wet or cold conditions. Be different equation in December.

Bike
    A
    And that is the rub, about half of the next 12,000 will be in wet or cold conditions. Be different equation in December.

Sounds like you're gonna buy a set of PR4s to me

Bike
    None any more
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    I've yet to hear rave reviews on the T30 regarding its wet weather behaviour...
    T30s are pretty good in the wet. No ambiguousness entering or leaving corners and good under hard braking. I'd rate them on a par with the Road Attack 2, which has been my Gold Standard sports touring tyre for some time. At $80 a set (fitted) cheaper than the RA2s, I'll be sticking with the T30s until the price gap closes.

Mrs H is exiting a set of PR3s on her Bandit. She's never raved about them, and the rear has squared off to buggery -- more so than is usual with other makes she's used. Her Gold Standard was the Avon Storm, but Avon stuffed that when they replaced the Storm with the Storm 2.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    ---2000 Triumph SprintT
    I just had a rear PR4-GT fitted to my Sprint GT and have about 300km on it. Had a very wet ride on slippery Dannevirke/Norsewood/Matamau back roads on Sunday as the scrub in ride. Lots of slippery roads. Rear felt planted. I'm happy. I had PR1, PR2 and back to PR1 previously.
    Now the PR4-GT. Best of the bunch for feel.
    Got 16k ks from the rear PR(1 and 2). I Have a PR3 on front and it is a disappointment..wearing on the usual triangle about 4k ks earlier than the PR(1) front did.
    PR4-GT was $359 and $28 to fit to wheel.

Bike
    2006 Suzuki Hayabusa
    It cost less than 450 fitted for my PP3's. So far they are alright, haven't done a decent tour on them yet to see if they last.
    PP3's or PR4's are the only mitchellin tires they recommend for busas. Yanks only seem to run shinkos or Mickey Thompsons on theirs.

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    T30s are pretty good in the wet. No ambiguousness entering or leaving corners and good under hard braking. I'd rate them on a par with the Road Attack 2, which has been my Gold Standard sports touring tyre for some time. At $80 a set (fitted) cheaper than the RA2s, I'll be sticking with the T30s until the price gap closes.

Mrs H is exiting a set of PR3s on her Bandit. She's never raved about them, and the rear has squared off to buggery -- more so than is usual with other makes she's used. Her Gold Standard was the Avon Storm, but Avon stuffed that when they replaced the Storm with the Storm 2.
    Dammit.
    There goes the simple maths.

What is the mileage looking like for the T30s?

Bike
    None any more
    What is the mileage looking like for the T30s?
    My first set produced similar wear life as the RA2s. I haven't run the GT version of the T30s, as I don't have a GT kind of ride anymore.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    My first set produced similar wear life as the RA2s. I haven't run the GT version of the T30s, as I don't have a GT kind of ride anymore.
    So about 12k for a rear?

Bike
    None any more
    So about 12k for a rear?
    Yes indeed. Not too shabby at all really.

Bike
    CB1300

New PR4s?

So I need 2 sets a year.
    They need to be 20% cheaper than PR2 or PR4. Current PR2 rear is squarer than I'd like but with plenty of tread at 14,000, previous owner said about 1,000 already on. I'd guess closer to 2,000 or two up sporty riding.

Thank you for that. Gives a lot of perspective on the relative cost benefit comparison.

Thread Information