Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New PR4s?

Bike
    950,525 ...so far

Smile New PR4s?

Need to update the treads on the 'Busa......keep looking at all the suitable choices but keep coming back to the new PR4's......has anybody been using them on a similar sized bike...? Cheers.....

Bike
    2010 Honda CB1000R Predator
    Blog Entries
    Either that or a PP3.

Bike
    CB1300
    I am also interested to hear from a rider who has them instead of a salesperson.
    For my given application PPx would be me handing over all my disposable income every 60 -90 days.

Stupid phone / Tapatalk, apologies in advance.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    I am also interested to hear from a rider who has them instead of a salesperson.
    For my given application PPx would be me handing over all my disposable income every 60 -90 days.

Several co-riders in IAM with litre plus bikes including heavier sports tourers have them and swear by them. I think all of the riders came from PR3's which must be a compliment to the development of these tyres. I think the sports tourers all have PR4 GT's but it would pay to check on the Michelin website about the CB1300 as the "ordinary" PR4's will probably be ok.

I have a Street Triple which is of course much lighter than yours but I've had 2 sets of PR 3's which have lasted for around 14000 km rear and 17000 km front. Now on PR 4's which have done around 4000 km. Exceedingly pleased with them - the front feels slightly more planted than the 3, but that's not to say theat the 3 front was a bad tyre because it wasn't.

You probably won't get much hard data in NZ at this stage as they are a recent import. Drury Performance Centre told me I was the first customer to buy them about 2 months ago.

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    Need to update the treads on the 'Busa......keep looking at all the suitable choices but keep coming back to the new PR4's......has anybody been using them on a similar sized bike...? Cheers.....
    Yep, set of PR4s on a 2013 Busa here. OEM BT015 done in about 5000 clicks, then Bridgestone S20 gone in just under 5000 clicks.

Thought about going either Pilot Power 3 or Pilot Road 4, yeah I like my Michelins...so Pilot Road 4s do rather nicely on a Busa, and that includes wet weather. No idea how long they'll last as yet though.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Haven't used Michelin much and certainly not this century, but have been contemplating buying PR4s when my current Dunlop Road Smarts need replacing.

Apart from all the nice things BIKE magazine said about the PR3s, they did mention that there was a question about the life of the tyres. There wasn't a definite statement that there was a problem, more that there were indications that there could be a problem.

IIRC they considered that the PR4s had been introduced to elimiinate any problem in that regard.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Old Blue, Little blue
    We've got PR3s on the XJR and the rear of the FZ1 (PP3 on the front - the wife loves it) We're going PR4s at replacement time...
    “- He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.”

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    Haven't used Michelin much and certainly not this century, but have been contemplating buying PR4s when my current Dunlop Road Smarts need replacing.

Apart from all the nice things BIKE magazine said about the PR3s, they did mention that there was a question about the life of the tyres. There wasn't a definite statement that there was a problem, more that there were indications that there could be a problem.

IIRC they considered that the PR4s had been introduced to elimiinate any problem in that regard.
    Yep, personal experience showed PR3 would get only about 2/3 the kms the PR2 would get on the same (previous) bike.

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Several co-riders in IAM with litre plus bikes including heavier sports tourers have them and swear by them. I think all of the riders came from PR3's which must be a compliment to the development of these tyres. I think the sports tourers all have PR4 GT's but it would pay to check on the Michelin website about the CB1300 as the "ordinary" PR4's will probably be ok.

I have a Street Triple which is of course much lighter than yours but I've had 2 sets of PR 3's which have lasted for around 14000 km rear and 17000 km front. Now on PR 4's which have done around 4000 km. Exceedingly pleased with them - the front feels slightly more planted than the 3, but that's not to say theat the 3 front was a bad tyre because it wasn't.

You probably won't get much hard data in NZ at this stage as they are a recent import. Drury Performance Centre told me I was the first customer to buy them about 2 months ago.
    Colour me silly, but what is IAM?

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    Colour me silly, but what is IAM?

International Association of Motorists.

Advanced rider training pretty much.

Bike
    CB1300
    Makes sense.
    Acronyms rarely do before they are explained.

Bike
    None any more
    If price is a consideration, then the GT version of the Bridgestone T30s will be hard to beat.

I can't believe that I've become a fanboy for Bridgestones. Mrs H is about to put a set on her GSF650S.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    Yep, personal experience showed PR3 would get only about 2/3 the kms the PR2 would get on the same (previous) bike.
    Mine's looking similar, perhaps not that bad but certainly not quite the wear I had from PR2s. Better in the wet but not quite as forgiving in the dry. Good tyre but given the choice I'd rather have stuck with PR2s.

And it looks like I'll manage my usual trick, I'm arse up busy for two months and then out of town for a month, so I won't be putting many more miles on the current tyres. Which means I'll have maybe 4-5k of tyre left to take down south late November. Do I change 'em before I go or try to organise a change on the trip?...
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    International Association of Motorists.

Advanced rider training pretty much.
    Uh... Institute of Advanced Motorists actually.

http://www.nz-iam.org.nz/ (New website to be launched in a few days).
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    CB1300

New PR4s?

Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    If price is a consideration, then the GT version of the Bridgestone T30s will be hard to beat.

I can't believe that I've become a fanboy for Bridgestones. Mrs H is about to put a set on her GSF650S.
    Worth noting, with the possible exception of the salesperson recommending them, everyone who has voices an opinion had either flat pun said T30s suck in the wet or hinted they they were a fair weather tyre.
    I note that I have been unable l find a favourable review that includes comments about wet handling. All the favourable reviews state that it did not rain during extended or road tests.
    Perhaps the journalists don't want to put into print what so many amateurs are happy to say?

I am trying to decide in the next set if shoes for my lady. Based on price I was heavily in favour of the bridgestones. Post google: either Michelin are very good at promoting their product through social media or the PR4s really are the better choice.
    Cycletreads recommendation was to PR4 the back but save some money with a PR2 at the front.

Thread Information