Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Seen on scooters in Raro

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Friend of ours lost their 23 year old son Nick in a scootor crash in Thailand a couple of years back. Head injuries, no helmet.

We live with a "it won't happen to me" attitude so much that the risks we take seem so innocuous. When we take a risk and don't have an adverse outcome what we learn subconsciously is that the risk is manageable, so not really a risk.

Trouble us, it does happen to someone. Like Nick.
    Indeed it does. As we checked in to return home we found ourselves behind a guy who had obviously slid down the road a bit on his left side. Needed a wheelchair in the end as his slow hobble was holding up the queue.
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    '06 ZX6R X 2
    I did the same thing on a GN by the airport! When I was there they had safety videos in the police station trying to persuade people to use helmets.. I take it they didn't get very far.

Also saw a brand new ducati monster when I was there, seemed a little bit overkill. I mean it would probably get around the island in 20 minutes but who would be in that much of a hurry?

The inland roads are fun too, went up a path to a reservoir before an intimidating number of probably guard dogs came sauntering out of the bushes.

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by switchMode View Post
    I did the same thing on a GN by the airport! When I was there they had safety videos in the police station trying to persuade people to use helmets.. I take it they didn't get very far.

Also saw a brand new ducati monster when I was there, seemed a little bit overkill. I mean it would probably get around the island in 20 minutes but who would be in that much of a hurry?

The inland roads are fun too, went up a path to a reservoir before an intimidating number of probably guard dogs came sauntering out of the bushes.
    We went up a road which turned into a dirt track and finally came to a paddock with a dozen or so Islanders with machetes, looking for the waterfall. We did find later but what a fail, it was trickle at best, a seasonal waterfall perhaps?

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    We went up a road which turned into a dirt track and finally came to a paddock with a dozen or so Islanders with machetes, looking for the waterfall. We did find later but what a fail, it was trickle at best, a seasonal waterfall perhaps?
    Was like this when we popped up there. Damned sandfies were brutal there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3446.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	809.2 KB 
ID:	300778  

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by switchMode View Post
    Saw the island's only Harley when we were there. Apparantly there is also a BMW.

Bike
    '18 DRZ400SM
    Island Styles, can't beat it. While there on a scooter I turn my cap around, .
    Worried about sunburn on that exposed noggin?
    "It would be spiteful, to put jellyfish in a trifle."
    \m/ o.o \m/

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakie View Post
    Saw the island's only Harley when we were there. Apparantly there is also a BMW.
    Spied a cruiser on our first trip up there, was at the markets having a look around and saw this...reminded me of Waylander at the time (if anyone remembers him?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gubb View Post
    Worried about sunburn on that exposed noggin?
    It's a heat exchanger. Not the bike, my head.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Waylander.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	620.4 KB 
ID:	300782  

Bike
    2006 Suzuki Hayabusa
    If you think any of thats bad, try ballancing a crate of DB draught on top of your tank after you have had a few.

Bike
    Spied a cruiser on our first trip up there, was at the markets having a look around and saw this...reminded me of Waylander at the time (if anyone remembers him?)
    May have seen that bike myself. Saw a really ratty one at the far end of the markets (Muri end). I think it only had half a sidestand as the guy had a big block of wood on the ground for what was left of the sidestand to rest on. I assume he took the wood with him wherever he went?

Bike
    VFR400, Frankenbucket
    Got back a few weeks ago. I would like to add my silliest spotting was a troop of tourists in convoy (about 10) of scooters, 3 of the 10 had spear guns, loaded, balanced on their shoulder as they rode. DUH!

Hired two scooters (one for myself and wife), what got amused me most was that we both asked for and used helmets. $1 a day, bargain!
    Now we both ride so are less likely to fall off, unlike 90% of other tourists there without helmets who probably have very rarely been on motorised two wheels, if ever! Anyone who has been to the Laura Ferguson Trust would never ride without a helmet, seeing what a head injury can do, no thanks! That said I did ride once without one, felt fecking weird!

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    pussy .

Bike
    Depends on the ride.
    The locals on Raro do it well but come a distant 2nd to the Thai's.

Bike
    A slow old Bus.a.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakie View Post
    Yeah, I noticed that the speedo on mine topped out at an ambitious 140kph. I think you'd reach the suspension limit on most of the roads before you hit the performance limit. There is that nice km or so of road at the eastern end of the airport though that is as smooth as a smooth thing. Even Mrs Oakie got a bit free and easy with the throttle on that particular piece.
    There is an unofficial Isle of Manatonga speed record for a lap of the island. The local police are mostly fellas with a few fellessa's that look like fellas. Don't get caught riding enthusiastically, or you'll end up married to one.
    It’s diametrically opposed to the sanitised existence of the Lemmings around me in the Dilbert Cartoon hell I live in; it’s life at full volume, perfect colour with high resolution and 10,000 watts of amplification.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by madbikeboy View Post
    There is an unofficial Isle of Manatonga speed record for a lap of the island. The local police are mostly fellas with a few fellessa's that look like fellas. Don't get caught riding enthusiastically, or you'll end up married to one.
    And they have Kawasaki 650s (?) so they will catch you!

Bike
    Depends on the ride.
    You guys are doing it all wrong. 2nd or 3rd gear, just above idle. Chill out and relax. Relax. Cruise about and enjoy the Island.

Thread Information