Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2008 Scorpio front sprocket?

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Doge View Post
    ... but it should help with motorway riding (terms of rpm)
    A theory many believe ... but ... gearing up a motorcycle will give you the lower RPM at the same speeds. At the lower RPM ... it is developing less horsepower at the same speed.

Yet ... you expect higher speeds using less power ... and with a small capacity motorcycle ..

On a fine day with a flat road ... with a following wind and/or down hill ... greater speeds can/are reached.

But ... uphill and/or into a (slight) head wind .... you run out of go. (think turbo off boost)

Remember ... the higher the RPM ... the more power the engine develops. Peak power is usually just below red line regardless of what speed you are actually traveling at).

At best ... gearing up gives better fuel consumption ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2008, Yamaha Scorpio
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Maybe check what size the rear one is.
    I have its stock :/

Bike
    2008, Yamaha Scorpio
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    A theory many believe ... but ... gearing up a motorcycle will give you the lower RPM at the same speeds. At the lower RPM ... it is developing less horsepower at the same speed.

Yet ... you expect higher speeds using less power ... and with a small capacity motorcycle ..

On a fine day with a flat road ... with a following wind and/or down hill ... greater speeds can/are reached.

But ... uphill and/or into a (slight) head wind .... you run out of go. (think turbo off boost)

Remember ... the higher the RPM ... the more power the engine develops. Peak power is usually just below red line regardless of what speed you are actually traveling at).

At best ... gearing up gives better fuel consumption ...
    No I don't expect higher speeds. It's just driving me crazy when mine revs 1200rpmish higher than every other scorpio at the same speed whether this be downhill or on the flat or uphill.

Bike
    a red heap
    Maybe it has the close ratio drag racing gearbox fitted

Bike
    2008, Yamaha Scorpio

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by nodrog View Post
    Maybe it has the close ratio drag racing gearbox fitted
    Not sure why it would. Everything seems stock and nothing seems out of place apart from that front sprocket. I will change it with a stock one and will update the thread with the results.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    No I don't expect higher speeds. It's just driving me crazy when mine revs 1200rpmish higher than every other scorpio at the same speed whether this be downhill or on the flat or uphill.
    It may have been geared DOWN. Not up. Higher rev's (more HP) at the same speeds ...

Learn to count ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    A blue one
    Not sure why it would. Everything seems stock and nothing seems out of place apart from that front sprocket. I will change it with a stock one and will update the thread with the results.
    Ive got a yzf 750RR gearbox that will slot in and fix all your issues..

Bike
    2008, Yamaha Scorpio
    Hi,

Now I feel silly I rechecked the sprockets with tape this time so it couldn't be misread they are the stock 15/44 sprockets and the tires are the stock 18"s so could anyone shed some light on why this revs so much higher?

Thanks

Thread Information