Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2008 Scorpio front sprocket?

Bike
    2008, Yamaha Scorpio

eek 2008 Scorpio front sprocket?

Hi,

I have brought this bike just recently off trademe, and on the motorway and downhill I noticed it revs very high at 100kmh (7600 rpm) I was reading on here that they are supposed to rev at 6400ish at 100kmh so I checked the sprockets the rear one was standard but the front one was 16t and stock is 15 after a bit of reading on the net I saw that it's supposed to reduce rpm at these speeds so i'm a bit confused on this, any thoughts? This is my first bike & post

Thanks

Bike
    A fast one
    Quote Originally Posted by Doge View Post
    Hi,

I have brought this bike just recently off trademe, and on the motorway and downhill I noticed it revs very high at 100kmh (7600 rpm) I was reading on here that they are supposed to rev at 6400ish at 100kmh so I checked the sprockets the rear one was standard but the front one was 16t and stock is 15 after a bit of reading on the net I saw that it's supposed to reduce rpm at these speeds so i'm a bit confused on this, any thoughts? This is my first bike & post

Thanks
    I had a Scorpio and sitting on 6500+ RPM doing 100-115 on the motorway was normal. That said, you are running a different sprocket on the front. You can get the stock one from http://www.bits4bikes.co.nz or from your local Yamaha dealer if it's an issue for you.

Here is where most people will say if you're changing a sprocket, replace both and the chain as well.

Bike
    2008, Yamaha Scorpio
    Quote Originally Posted by The End View Post
    I had a Scorpio and sitting on 6500+ RPM doing 100-115 on the motorway was normal. That said, you are running a different sprocket on the front. You can get the stock one from http://www.bits4bikes.co.nz or from your local Yamaha dealer if it's an issue for you.

Here is where most people will say if you're changing a sprocket, replace both and the chain as well.
    Thanks I'll check it out. However 7600rpm+ barely touching 100 is definitely about 1krpm higher than others. What strikes me as odd though is going up a tooth should be reducing the rpm not increasing it. What's up with that?

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDGT
    You should have less revs on for 100kmh with that gearing so either the rev counter is telling porkies or you are in 4th gear, not 5th
    Change up through the box and count, maybe some problem not letting you select 5th.
    Political Correctness, the chief weapon of whiney arse bastards

Bike
    a red heap
    You are doing more than 100kph, the Speedo is calibrated for the std front sprocket.

Bike
    Custom Ag100
    Your speedo is in mph
    "Sorry Officer, umm.... my yellow power band got stuck wide open"

Bike
    less than I used to have
    Quote Originally Posted by nodrog View Post
    You are doing more than 100kph, the Speedo is calibrated for the std front sprocket.

...best to keep things standard...I just found out why my wheelbarrow has been giving me shit over the last few years...the two bolts retaining the wheel on the left side were 12mm but the two on the right were 10mm...it should go faster in a straight line and be more responsive coming out of corners with a load on now that I have sorted that out...

Bike
    a red heap
    Quote Originally Posted by ellipsis View Post
    ...best to keep things standard...I just found out why my wheelbarrow has been giving me shit over the last few years...the two bolts retaining the wheel on the left side were 12mm but the two on the right were 10mm...it should go faster in a straight line and be more responsive coming out of corners with a load on now that I have sorted that out...
    When did you get a sidecar?

Bike
    GSX1300R
    Many speedo's are quite optimistic with standard gearing some by as much as 10%. Check it against a GPS, it might actually be more accurate now

Bike
    2008, Yamaha Scorpio
    Quote Originally Posted by buggerit View Post
    You should have less revs on for 100kmh with that gearing so either the rev counter is telling porkies or you are in 4th gear, not 5th
    Change up through the box and count, maybe some problem not letting you select 5th.
    Nope definitely in 5'th if I was in 4'th i'd be nearly red-lining I've had no problem with the gears i'm just not understanding with this sprocket as it's not stock but it should help with motorway riding (terms of rpm)

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Scorpio has a speedo cable...........

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Doge View Post
    Nope definitely in 5'th if I was in 4'th i'd be nearly red-lining I've had no problem with the gears i'm just not understanding with this sprocket as it's not stock but it should help with motorway riding (terms of rpm)
    Maybe check what size the rear one is.

Bike
    A fast one
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    This is something I've never understood. People say changing the sprockets can affect the speedo, but it shouldn't matter if it takes a reading from a cable on the front wheel?

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by The End View Post
    This is something I've never understood. People say changing the sprockets can affect the speedo, but it shouldn't matter if it takes a reading from a cable on the front wheel?
    Exactly. But not all bikes are like this. Your Hornet has a nice little sensor under the airbox that reads from the output shaft of the gearbox. Pray that sensor doesnt give up. Motor out job to get to it.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    But does it have an accurate speedometer .. ???

As has already been said by Blacksheeplogic .. check your speed with a GPS device.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Thread Information