Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Metzeler tyres: Worth the money?

Bike
    2010 Hyosung ST7
    Blog Entries

Metzeler tyres: Worth the money?

I'll be looking at a new set of tires sooner rather than later. I ride an ST7 which has the original factory ones fitted and they have been great but I am being recommended a set of Metzler's. Now then, I know tires are a personal choice but in broad terms are they worth paying that bit extra for? Never skimp on tires and brakes but other people have suggested identical alternatives but a bit kinder on the sky rocket.
    I'm no brand junkie but any advice will be greatly appreciated

Bike
    2006 Suzuki Hayabusa
    You will get good mileage out of them. Got 13k out of a rear on a busa which included a few burnouts

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    It's whats on da Bandit me ol mate, can't go past em.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    None any more
    You're putting these on a cruiser, Max, so don't be oversold by riders who've got Metzelers on sports bikes and UJMs.

Metzelers are Pirellis in drag. The two companies are jointly owned and share a lot of technologies. This is why there are visual similarities between Metzelers and their comparable Pirellis.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Been 20 years since they've graced any of my hoops but always thought they were awesome back in the day and highly rated by many. As per hitchers comment, they effectively come out of same factory as Pirelli.
    But seemed to last longer with good grip though. Not sure if still same but one of the few big tyres with the safety of a steel belt insides.
    Back in my younger tightarse days of taking tyres down to the canvas I had a second gear highside going up the devisl elbow, managed to stay on. Un be known to me a large centre section of tyre was now missing and the exposed belt saw plenty of tarmac at silly speeds between there and whirinaki where we waited for a slower bike... They don't come much better than that.
    Used to play at Winter series with comp K versions on my GSXR1100 and was very happy.
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    Dont have one now
    I had to save like buggery in the 80's for a set of metzeler lasertecs for the CB900. I was made up with them

Bike
    BMW R1200RT
    I run metzeler 880 on the cruiser (Suzuki m50) I am very pleased with them.

I have run z6 and z8 tyres on the touring bike but the 880 is the one for cruisers.

My 2 cents worth.
    Ride it until the wheels fall off...

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    Max,
    I use Battleaxe T20's I'm 110 kg, with a bike weighing 265kg, and Torque to start an aircraft carrier.
    The dual compound gives excellent grip, and damned good mileage....
    Many tyres may give good mileage on sprot bikes, but twins have that 'power pulse' and it does destroy tyres that others get good mileage out of.
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    They're just tyres dude. Check out all your options and see what's right for you.

But as a side note, I sure as hell wouldn't pay a premium for the OEM Metzeler rear on the Bonneville, just because it's the only radial that fits it. I thought the Z2 was a rubbish tyre back in 95.
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    Kawasaki Vulcan

Metzeler tyres: Worth the money?

Quote Originally Posted by The Baron View Post
    I run metzeler 880 on the cruiser (Suzuki m50) I am very pleased with them.

My 2 cents worth.
    Yep I'll match and raise Baron's two cents.

We run the 880's on our 400kg cruiser pushing 180NM of torques through the rear end and always riding two up. To say the least, we give these tyres a hiding is a bit of an understatement.

They have always stuck like 'chite' to a blanket, cope well in the wet and can help haul up our sled under hard braking without creating nasty surprises.

However! We found our bike's factory recommended pressures were too low for the 880's so do keep a close eye on em. We managed to kill a front in no time (5k) running factory pressures. We upped pressures by 4psi, no more issues.

880's are a good choice for a cruiser ya can't go wrong with em. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
    The pirate bike. Arr-arr!
    Holeshot in barrys point road auckland are (or were last week, should be still going) doing a deal of $500 for Z8's fitted. Just mention ya saw it on facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/HoleshotMot...28582457156222

Im pretty stoked with them on the CBR600. Other people i talked to about tyres raved about the Z8's and have got amazing mileage out of 'em too. At $500 they're def worth it!

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Confused yet Mark? won't be long until some uses the words Potato top with sauce, then it's game over.
    Go and see that guy at Cycletreads, he used to work there then went to Drury Tyres and now he is back at C/Treads. What he doesn't know about tyres is not worth knowing anyway.
    He put me onto my preferred tyre years ago and I have used them ever since.

Bike
    2010 Hyosung ST7
    Blog Entries
    Cheers guys,
    Food for thought (may favourite kind)
    Appreciate the help

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    Confused yet Mark? won't be long until some uses the words Potato top with sauce, then it's game over.
    Go and see that guy at Cycletreads, he used to work there then went to Drury Tyres and now he is back at C/Treads. What he doesn't know about tyres is not worth knowing anyway.
    He put me onto my preferred tyre years ago and I have used them ever since.
    That guy is Mike and he is the tyre Gu Ru! for sure.
    Tell him I said he'd better look after you, he's one of the GC's.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    aprilia Tuono
    RustyRobot used to run z8's on his v twin Tuono and liked them a lot
    "For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen" Douglas Adams (1952-2001) - not riding a TUONO then!

Thread Information