Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Modular helmets - OK to leave on in service stations?

Bike
    Gone
    Helmet on, cock out, never had any troubles.

Bike
    Kawasaki
    I have been wearing my full face helmet into service stations and supermarkets the whole time I've been riding on the road (not long). I'll just take off the sunglasses if I'm wearing them. I never knew it was a thing until now, and assumed only banks were precious about head coverings.

Only short stops though, just to pay for gas or pick up quick things like 1 loaf of bread and use the self service. I'll take the helmet off for longer shopping trips to the mall etc though, if I can carry everything and the helmet.

Head/face coverings are not restricted to motorcyclists though, so unless I'm talking to the police or border security, anyone else can just deal with it...

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    We don't take our work BMW helmets off when gassing up. We wear modular helmets, and leave the face up when paying.

I also leave my personal BMW helmet on when gassing up my personal bike and paying. It's modular too, and I leave the face up.

I've never been challenged either on the work bike or the personal one.

I guess if I get challenged I'll just mea culpa and play their game. It's their premises, and they get to set the rules.

It also helps to have a modular helmet when you come across a gas station who is discounting their donuts. Both during work and otherwise.

Funny, my appetite for donuts goes up when I'm working. Go figure.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	To Protect And Serve - Donuts.jpeg 
Views:	18 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	300920

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Kinda up to the servo really. I'm seldom asked to remove a helmet (haven't in ages), and while I only use flip front helmets now, it was basically the same thing when I had full face. It does settle any request they might start having.

More handy I've found them useful for, is breath checks. Instead of pulling over the side, removing the gear etc, just lift the front. Gets the fresh recruits all puzzled and slightly flustered
    Just how wobbly are you that you get breathalysed that often?

Stupid phone / Tapatalk, apologies in advance.

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Both main helmets are modular and leave them when buying petrol at the local petrol station where I'm known... they even release the pump when it's on pre-pay. OK, do use the pump closest to the cashier's end of the shop area. Have not had any issues at other petrol stations when travelling round the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    The few times I've been stopped in the last few years have been on either a Thursday or Friday morning in December on the way to work just after 7am and at the bottom of the Newton Rd on-ramp west bound... the flip-up is mosy useful then.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    It's the checks they setup. Occasionally they let me slide on by, sometimes they want to check. I cover a few km, so come across a few checkpoints. Ok, riding through Otara frequently probably doesn't help (it's between office and motorway). Had two checkpoints around the corner from one another one time as well... Also been checked on SH1 in Tokoroa a couple of times at night...

Haven't had one recently tho... although I've now probably screwed that...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    It's the checks they setup. Occasionally they let me slide on by, sometimes they want to check. I cover a few km, so come across a few checkpoints. Ok, riding through Otara frequently probably doesn't help (it's between office and motorway). Had two checkpoints around the corner from one another one time as well... Also been checked on SH1 in Tokoroa a couple of times at night...

Haven't had one recently tho... although I've now probably screwed that...
    Tuakau gets regular visits from the constabulary... and there is not a whole lot of Tuakau so if they have one I pass through it. Outside of Tuakau it would usually be about 5 years between stops.
    Mind you from what I hear in the last 5 years I have probably only covered what you do in a year.

Bike
    blackbird,africa twin,xt600,xt 600tenere
    Walked into the gas station with open face helmet on abd wallet in hand.....girl says she wont accept payment till I take helmet off....I duly take helmet off and turn and face camera waving my wallet...I put helmet back on abd step up to pay and she says wont accept payment till I take helmet off and keep it off !..i duly oblige..pay abd have never returned. .....Some woman are just so pre menstrual sometimes...

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    It seems to depend on which anti biker power trip attendant you strike but generally not a problem where I go. (pak n save pay at pump)
    Stopped going to the Taradale rd mobil few years back after the helmet thing, funnily enough they are one of the ones that gets robbed the most although I've yet to see suspects wearing anything other than a hoodie on the police fb page.... But that's a company site, go to Youngs (non company site mobil) at Bayview and they are all good.

Only been asked to remove at checkpoints twice.

Had bank staff at Taradale go all stasi on me for wearing cycle helmet while trying to bank IRD refund cheque. Told them they had to be joking and why did they let me in through the controlled entry doors if it is a genuine security issue?
    Fat cow threatened to call police, was tempted to call her bluff but the manageress arrived and was a lot more pretty and persuasive

The whole situation is a bit ridiculous really, just look at all the footage on cop shows. Most of these robbers storm in full noise and don't mess about, no ones got time to say anything to them.
    Then there's the vulnerability aspect of wearing a full face helmet, quite easy for someone to use the helmet as leverage on you in a tussle, let alone the restricted breathing for energetic fighting or running etc.
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    CB1300
    Walked into a bar once as I was taking my helmet off.
    Raining outside etc.
    The girl behind the counter all but fainted in terror.
    Guess who was wearing a balaclava?
    I agree with making yourself approachable etc but keep in mind you don't know who is behind the counter or how recent their armed robbery course ( or their last armed robbery) was.
    You are not responsible for their reaction but a little appreciation for how you come across goes a long way.

Stupid phone / Tapatalk, apologies in advance.

Bike
    2009 CBR1000RR

Blah

Guess who was wearing a balaclava?

There was your problem right there.

Don't see many terrorists / armed swat members / SAS and or gang members wearing full face motorcycle helmets, but they do tend to sport the old balaclava quite often.........

Bike
    1980 Suzuki GS1000 and 1983 Suzuki GR650
    work in a servo only problem ive had is voice can be muffled when behind a balcava or face mask then usually say pump !! $86-50 , rider soon gets hint!
    Boys can't ride broken toys.

Bike
    S1000RR
    IMO they ask you to take the helmet off if you look sketchy.

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EJK View Post
    IMO they ask you to take the helmet off if you look sketchy.
    So you have a flip front now?
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    S1000RR
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post

So you have a flip front now?
    Mind you, I used to work at BP. We had to watchout for guys who rode V Stroms, they were the real dangerous ones!

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Thread Information