Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old Yank outboard racer and 2-stroke fan (seattle smitty)

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by ellipsis View Post
    ...it can be a bit of a struggle for outsiders to keep up with our slang and colloquialisms...coupled with the dramatically altered grammar of some, and some posters who seem to have their own form of language, you may struggle for a while...

Oay ya ginga I done resemble that remark............

I seem to remember the Konig was build for hydroplane racing.
    Kim Newcombe and the Aussie whole name I forget (John Dodds I have a feeling there were more aussies there as well) built up the bike while they were over there working at the factory
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by seattle smitty View Post
    Need another term, what is a "spigot"? Is that the intake tract from the carb, or is it the venturi in the carb, or what?
    Have a look here
    http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...post1130771862
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    '76 RD-400C
    So a spigot is an adapter that goes between the outer end of the exhaust port and the flange of the exhaust pipe . . .

Bike
    RG50 and 76 Suzuki GP125 Buckets
    Spigot is one of those old English words that seems to cover a lot of things that are only vaguely similar.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spigot 1.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	8.2 KB 
ID:	303125Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spigot Flywheel.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	8.9 KB 
ID:	303126Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spigot Taps.jpg 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	303127

All these have a spigot, the spigot is used for location. Pipe bend spigot, flywheel spigot, tap spigot.

Name:	Spigot 2.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	7.3 KB 
ID:	303128Name:  Spigot 3.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  3.0 KB

A 2T racing motorcycles exhaust is often arranged to slip over or inside an exhaust spigot on the cylinder.

Bike
    '76 RD-400C
    Got it.

To the rest, Rob "TZ350" did me the honor of pasting something I said above, to that "ESE, etc." thread. I wrote him a PM in response, but so far as I can tell (by looking at my SENT box, which remains empty) I can't get the program here to send the PM to him. Maybe it did, in fact, because I tried repeatedly and in various ways to send it, his inbox might have seven or eight copies of the same message! If so, Rob, my apologies!! But since I don't think it worked at all, I'll copy it here, for him and anyone interested.

(My PM to Rob) (which was about my notion of welding fins to the exhaust header-pipe; see above):

Hard to see whether anybody else thought much of the idea, Rob, but I'm interested to see that you think it might have merit.

Fellows are talking there about polishing piston crowns (to considerably reduce surface area, as detectable on a microscopic level), something some of us were doing in outboard racing forty-five years ago, and about ceramic coating the pistons for the same reason but with greater effect.

But then they talk about polishing or coating the exhaust port and passage. I'm not so sure about that idea, partly for the reason I want a finned exhaust header: to keep from heating the portion of the new air/fuel charge that gets that far. I want the exhaust port and passage to be transferring heat as fast as it can to the cooling fins or water jacketing immediately behind the port. Polishing or coating the port drastically reduces the heat transfer to the outside, and that's the hottest part of the engine, and often the area where you get pistons sticking and melting, so I wouldn't want anything that impedes heat transferring out to the outside.

On my old outboard racemotors I always reworked the factory water inlet arrangement (these engines got water from the lake rammed in the front of the lower unit, no water pump) to get the water-in streams flowing across the metal directly behind each exhaust port, with the intent of scrubbing off steam-bubbles as they formed.

Besides adding fins to the exhaust header, AND devising an air-duct or two (surely the best fix) that will blast air directly at the cooling fins on the cylinder and the exh. header, I would also be looking at the various "black-body" coatings that claim to increase heat transfer from the surface of the fins to the air.

This last might only provide a marginal increase in heat transfer, but then most advances come from incremental improvements. You Kiwis probably are familiar with the old "Hundred Pound Rule of Motor Racing," which states, "There's no place you can take a hundred pounds out of the car. But there might be a hundred places you can take out one pound." A goofy little fix like my cooling fins on header pipes won't make much difference in isolation, but three or four such little fixes might add up to something worthwhile.

Gosh, Rob, you quoted me and made me somebody; flattering! I was just going to be a lurker for a while, and not barge into a long-running thread. But I don't mind you quoting me if you think I actually say something of any value, LOL.
    (okay, now i'll see if this will post . . . .)
    Last edited by Mental Trousers; 9th October 2014 at 07:55. Reason: Quoted message, but let me know if it's not right

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by seattle smitty View Post
    Got it.

To the rest, Rob "TZ350" did me the honor of pasting something I said above, to that "ESE, etc." thread. I wrote him a PM in response, but so far as I can tell (by looking at my SENT box, which remains empty) I can't get the program here to send the PM to him. Maybe it did, in fact, because I tried repeatedly and in various ways to send it, his inbox might have seven or eight copies of the same message! If so, Rob, my apologies!! But since I don't think it worked at all, I'll copy it here, for him and anyone interested.

(My PM to Rob) (which was about my notion of welding fins to the exhaust header-pipe; see above):

(okay, now i'll see if this will post . . . .)
    You might find
    One you may not have done enough posts to send pms..............
    or
    Two you might have your settings set to not save a copy to you sent items.........

Name:	Save sent items.jpg 
Size:	336.6 KB 
ID:	303173
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    '76 RD-400C
    I think I have it re-set now; thanks much.

Thread Information