Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 2014/2015 LAMS options?

Bike
    1992 Suzuki Bandit GSF250
    Quote Originally Posted by jamiestreet View Post
    Thanks for your reply mate - very informative. I will try and get the MT 07 out for a test ride as soon as possible. I've been riding now for about 6 months as a daily - in all conditions really - and just looking for an upgrade that will be worthwhile & keep me going for a few years into the future. My current bike doesn't even lift the front wheel in first at full throttle

90% of my riding will definitely be around town, with the odd ~two-three hour round trip somewhere occasionally. I've ridden the CBR and was not very impressed with it's power (specifically overtaking). I'm trying to get a test ride in at a dealership here as soon as possible. Do you know if the bike is 'restricted' in power (as in it can be made more powerful by removing restrictors) or that is actually the full power of this market-specific bike? I'm also looking at a Ninja 650 - but I really don't like the fairing layout of it. Feels too busy for me, too much plastic and a lot of it really doesn't feel very high quality. I'll try and take one for a test ride though at some point.

Thanks.
    I've been riding for 3 years now, all on a 250! :P Really looking forward to my upgrade.

I believe the MT-07 is restricted, although the only physical difference (as someone mentioned above) is that the bore is 2mm smaller. The rest is restricted via ECU. In saying that, I have heard from multiple people that they can't even notice a difference between the full powered model and the LAMS approved model, especially at legal speeds.

In terms of derestricting them ... You'll have some things to consider such as re-registering your bike as a non-LAMS model, and then when it comes to resale, you'll probably want to reverse that process (re-restrict it, and re-register it back to a LAMS model) so that you get a higher value. TBH I wouldn't bother with that myself, but we'll see how I get on in the future.

Yeah I didn't particularly like the Ninja 650. The throttle itself is restricted, and it becomes really noticeable. Whereas on the MT-07, you never feel like the bike is restricted in any way. The power curve is also very different on the Ninja, and I very much preferred the low/mid range torque the MT offered.

Bike
    2013 KTM Duke 390
    Good thread with lots of interesting points. Sounds like there's a few people all in the same boat. Learner rider, sometimes without much experience, looking for a decent long term machine to keep for a few years.

I'm on a learner licence and I've currently got the KTM Duke 390. Had a Duke 200 before that and traded in last year. Really like it, especially the light weight and low seat height given my short arse nature, but can't help but be tempted by the Street Triple or MT-07. Have ridden them both and the torque available make them so easy to jump on and go. OK - both restricted in power from the equivalent full on models but how many times are you really going to be caning the top end in the real world ?

Would go for the Triumph in a second if money were no object (but sadly it is). MT-07 a very close second and currently in negotiations with the "better half" about finances ....

Pretty important to consider the depreciation as well though. I'd planned to keep the D390 long term but that was before the Triple and MT-07 were available. I got a trade in quote from both dealers for my bike and nearly had a heart attack !

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by NZM0NK3Y View Post
    Good thread with lots of interesting points. Sounds like there's a few people all in the same boat. Learner rider, sometimes without much experience, looking for a decent long term machine to keep for a few years.

I'm on a learner licence and I've currently got the KTM Duke 390. Had a Duke 200 before that and traded in last year. Really like it, especially the light weight and low seat height given my short arse nature, but can't help but be tempted by the Street Triple or MT-07. Have ridden them both and the torque available make them so easy to jump on and go. OK - both restricted in power from the equivalent full on models but how many times are you really going to be caning the top end in the real world ?

Would go for the Triumph in a second if money were no object (but sadly it is). MT-07 a very close second and currently in negotiations with the "better half" about finances ....

Pretty important to consider the depreciation as well though. I'd planned to keep the D390 long term but that was before the Triple and MT-07 were available. I got a trade in quote from both dealers for my bike and nearly had a heart attack !
    I take it you liked the MT-07 and Street Triple more than your KTM 390. What did you find the differences were?

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NZM0NK3Y View Post

You shouldn't be in a rush. Sell your 390 privately and then buy the MT07. You will sell it due to it being lams for a good amount plus without trade should pull a better deal at the purchase end also.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    Quote Originally Posted by jamiestreet View Post
    Hi, thanks for your reply.
    I know the bike was originally designed as a 690cc bike in other markets with 75~ish horsepower. I've read that Yamaha has actually changed the bike for our markets (reducing bore to get <661cc etc). I was wondering if when they did this change, the power output now is actually the full output the bike can produce, or instead if it is restricted.

As for the speed thing, fair enough about the useable power notion. I do believe that everyone is different though when it comes to the power matter. Also when I was asking about long trips, I was more talking about the comfort of the bike (naked so no wind protection, seat, vibrations etc.) I know the Bike would handle highway cruising speeds fine power wise

Thanks for your reply.

Restricted version..... (LAMs) again if you read the spec for a 'full power' MT-07, the fact it's 'restricted' would indicate it can be 'un-restricted'.. it really depends on HOW the restriction is done that is going to be cost effective to modify, or not. Knowing Yamaha it will be an ECU restriction (ignition curve etc) and as I pointed out in another post, there is an active MT owners group with members who are dealers, tuners and racers in Europe (I kid you not, there is a guy in Finland who has ICE RACED a tuned up MT-01). From experience, Yamaha charge like a wounded bull for ECU's and there are active members who can reflash (MT-01 at present) ECU's to stage 2 or 3, using your OEM one. I would hazard a guess they will be getting into the 09 and 07 ECU's at sometime.

Advising on a bikes comfort and long term suitability would be like telling you whether a woman is the right one to be your wife, before you've met her and tried her out (dated etc). I own the MT-01, it vibrates, throbs and shakes, some people dislike that (one KB member who test rode one said "it vibrates like a bastard"). He's used to the smoothness of multi's, (which can 'buzz' at certain speeds) I personally love that I can feel that huge V twin 'working', and compared to an old Brit bike? Vibrate??
    The 07 is a twin, and I believe has a balance shaft, so vibration will be 'low' is my guess. The 'throb, shaking etc' of the 01 was 'built in' to the bike's concept. Again apples to oranges, if you think the 07 vibrates on riding one, get a ride on one of the old XS650 twins
    Seat comfort? How big/small is your ass? Body comfort (ergo's) your height, build, leg, arm length..... injuries? Only way you will know is to ride one a distance. A small 'fly screen' is a useful addition, they can be removed (bar mounted) for summer, replaced for winter or distance riding I own an MRI one and do 'just that'.

You've got some info from an 07 owner........ My advice to both would be join the MTOG (MT owners group) and read the info in there (the 07 and 09 already have an active section).
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    2006 Ninja 250
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayWolf View Post
    Restricted version..... (LAMs) again if you read the spec for a 'full power' MT-07, the fact it's 'restricted' would indicate it can be 'un-restricted'.. it really depends on HOW the restriction is done that is going to be cost effective to modify, or not. Knowing Yamaha it will be an ECU restriction (ignition curve etc) and as I pointed out in another post, there is an active MT owners group with members who are dealers, tuners and racers in Europe (I kid you not, there is a guy in Finland who has ICE RACED a tuned up MT-01). From experience, Yamaha charge like a wounded bull for ECU's and there are active members who can reflash (MT-01 at present) ECU's to stage 2 or 3, using your OEM one. I would hazard a guess they will be getting into the 09 and 07 ECU's at sometime.

Advising on a bikes comfort and long term suitability would be like telling you whether a woman is the right one to be your wife, before you've met her and tried her out (dated etc). I own the MT-01, it vibrates, throbs and shakes, some people dislike that (one KB member who test rode one said "it vibrates like a bastard"). He's used to the smoothness of multi's, (which can 'buzz' at certain speeds) I personally love that I can feel that huge V twin 'working', and compared to an old Brit bike? Vibrate??
    The 07 is a twin, and I believe has a balance shaft, so vibration will be 'low' is my guess. The 'throb, shaking etc' of the 01 was 'built in' to the bike's concept. Again apples to oranges, if you think the 07 vibrates on riding one, get a ride on one of the old XS650 twins
    Seat comfort? How big/small is your ass? Body comfort (ergo's) your height, build, leg, arm length..... injuries? Only way you will know is to ride one a distance. A small 'fly screen' is a useful addition, they can be removed (bar mounted) for summer, replaced for winter or distance riding I own an MRI one and do 'just that'.

You've got some info from an 07 owner........ My advice to both would be join the MTOG (MT owners group) and read the info in there (the 07 and 09 already have an active section).
    Thanks very much for your reply! Yep you are right it is subjective per person as to how the bike feels in terms of comfort. I test rode one today and I think if I were to get one I would go for the gel seat option. Very fun bike - so torquey... Power wheelies in second were fun, coming from my ninja 250 which couldn't even do them in first..

I swore the bike was unrestricted it was that quick, but yes a reflash would probably be the way to derestrict it in the future once I'm on my full license. I can look into that closer to the time. Cheers

Bike
    2013 KTM Duke 390
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender EnZed View Post
    I take it you liked the MT-07 and Street Triple more than your KTM 390. What did you find the differences were?
    Don't get me wrong - I love the D390. Goes well, stops well with ABS as standard (missing from MT-07) and from my (limited) experience handles well also. Awesome for commuting from the Shore to south Auckland for work, kills it in traffic on the highway. Looks and feels tiny compared to almost everything else. Have had zero complaints about it and makes a great first bike

I guess I'm like everyone on here though - just want to ride and try as many bikes as possible and nowadays they're almost all good ! So many good LAMS options, which I suppose is the whole point of the thread

Street Triple had that lovely smooth engine and a real "premium" feel and being a Pom I like the idea of a Triumph. Price rules that out till Lotto come calling though

MT-07 just felt like a bigger version of the D390 in many ways I guess. Looks great and a step forward from the MT-03, which I looked at before I got my D390 but didn't really fancy

Thread Information