Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tkc80 vs karoo 3

Bike
    '08 KTM 690E
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisis management View Post
    Last thing, a bit noisier than T63 / MT21 combination on the seal but at least it drowns out the mechanical complaints from the gearbox!
    If I've read this correctly...I'm surprised that the karoo 3 is noisier than T63/MT21 combo?....interesting. Also looking at the shape and design of the tyre, I would suggest that the comparison would be more with a E07 or K60. I'd rather have the TKC80 front or MT21 front...than what this looks like. So perhaps try just the rear for now, and get a real knob for the front BUT, and like all tyre conversations, it's what you do, how hard you ride and general skill level.
    ...back in the saddle, and getting a little!

Bike
    RD350 KTM790R, 2 x BMW R80G/S, XT500
    I've gone full circle - for the sort of riding I do, the only tyre combination that gives me confidence on my 950 is a TKC front and rear.
    This is helped by the fact that the price of TKC's seem to have fallen.

If I wanted a set for slightly less adventurous riding, it would be a TKC on the front and a Pirelli Scorpion AT90 (standard tyre for a 950) on the back.

As Vegeman says it's all down to your skills and where yer riding...

Bike
    Orange ones! (and a few others...)
    I have looked at the Karoo as an option that was still more roady than a knob as I get sick of burning out knobs on the seal (compromises, I know...) but it's surprising when you see it in the flesh there are large gaps between the tread on the Karoo, lots of space to clear dirt out and allow the edges to bite. It's the large lumps with spaces between that give the noisy road riding but also give it great sand traction, I've not tried it in mud but talking to others that have it sounds like it performed ok.
    Given that I'm riding a heavy bike and only expect mediocre off road performance I think the Karoo will do ok, I expect to do the Dusty Butt and the travel there and back via the likes of the 42nd Traverse comfortably. If I was running a lighter bike I would stick with the MT21 and T63 combination as I have always found that worked well but a quarter of a ton sitting on the same tread footprint can't really be expected to get the same mileage.

Bike
    08 KTM 690 Enduro
    My 690 had a Karoo 3 on the rear when I bought it 2 months ago. I suspect it had less than 1000 km on it and I have since done about 2000 km. I reckon it's got another 1000 still in it so approx 4000 km total life. I don't have anything to compare it to yet but to me it feels weird dropping in to corners on the road. It does hold on but does not feel confidence inspiring. Also once the centre knobs wear down to the centre groove you've got big wide knobs across the tire which don't have much sideways grip. I'm gonna try an E-09 next and see how that goes. Can get the E-09 for $190. I have a TKC80 on the front which seems ok. Not sure what to try there next..

Bike
    blackbird,africa twin,xt600,xt 600tenere
    I got 2700kms on my 690with a tkc80...karoo3 will be next...

Thread Information