Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Garmin ZUMO 390LM

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Interesting, evidently out of the loop and didn't see the 660 had been replaced.

As slofox said, maps, I use NZ Open GPS project (compatible with Garmin) and it's way more accurate than Garmin (partially because I've submitted corrections, plus all the other enthusiasts). Bit of a killer that this new range forces you to use Basecamp. I've tried switching but found it hard to use, so opted for the easy route and continue to use Mapsource.

First GPS was a Zumo 550, did about 100,000km with it. It's still floating around somewhere, with a new screen I (still) haven't fitted, as the original got quite worn. Currently using a Zumo 660, it's probably had a harder life with more adventure riding, probably done around 30k? with it? Would have to check. I use wired comms and bluetooth comms, both work fine, fine in torrential rain etc. Using bluetooth, it's for directions, music and controlling my mobile (so pretty much full functionality)

The improvement in performance would certainly be valued, screen size, Ok, bigger would be nice (just have to make sure there is space), but otherwise, doesn't seem to be anything I need from the new one. 660 works for me.

I would suggest wiring to bike via an ignition live circuit. GPS fires up as the bike goes live, when I shut the bike down at a gas stop or similar the power feed is stopped but it switches over to battery immediately (and prompts with a 30sec countdown to continue on battery or turn off). Once bike power resumes it uses that and charges the battery. I don't need the GPS for daily riding/commuting, but I've done a lot of route planning across the country with it... found some really nice roads confident that I can never really get lost... just end up someplace I didn't plan to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    CB1300

Garmin ZUMO 390LM

I hear one of your adventures resulted from blindly following your earlier one.

Not lost. Just not where it said.

Stupid phone / Tapatalk, apologies in advance.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    I hear one of your adventures resulted from blindly following your earlier one.

Not lost. Just not where it said.
    First line probably relates to a field and a paddock around 2-3am... The road layout was wrong, but I was able to prove how wrong.

I've had mixed results when agreeing or disagreeing with the GPS. Sometimes I'm wrong, sometimes she's wrong, but it's all an adventure
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    CB1300
    That's the one. Sounds a bit like apple naps.

Stupid phone / Tapatalk, apologies in advance.

Bike
    Yamaha SRX400
    This is the Ram mount set up I have , as mentioned before. I had no room on the handlebars but a fairly wide triple clamp. I can also put the GoPro on the ram mount using a mount I got from ramsolutions.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5841.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	159.3 KB 
ID:	302996Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5844.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	154.0 KB 
ID:	302997Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5847.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	152.8 KB 
ID:	302998

Bike
    GSX1300R
    Thanks, the first pic showing the mount at an angle makes sense now. I will get that mount option, the stem mounts can rotate, this looks a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by Bender View Post
    This is the Ram mount set up I have , as mentioned before. I had no room on the handlebars but a fairly wide triple clamp. I can also put the GoPro on the ram mount using a mount I got from ramsolutions.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Interesting, evidently out of the loop and didn't see the 660 had been replaced.

As slofox said, maps, I use NZ Open GPS project (compatible with Garmin) and it's way more accurate than Garmin (partially because I've submitted corrections, plus all the other enthusiasts). Bit of a killer that this new range forces you to use Basecamp. I've tried switching but found it hard to use, so opted for the easy route and continue to use Mapsource.

First GPS was a Zumo 550, did about 100,000km with it. It's still floating around somewhere, with a new screen I (still) haven't fitted, as the original got quite worn. Currently using a Zumo 660, it's probably had a harder life with more adventure riding, probably done around 30k? with it? Would have to check. I use wired comms and bluetooth comms, both work fine, fine in torrential rain etc. Using bluetooth, it's for directions, music and controlling my mobile (so pretty much full functionality)

The improvement in performance would certainly be valued, screen size, Ok, bigger would be nice (just have to make sure there is space), but otherwise, doesn't seem to be anything I need from the new one. 660 works for me.

I would suggest wiring to bike via an ignition live circuit. GPS fires up as the bike goes live, when I shut the bike down at a gas stop or similar the power feed is stopped but it switches over to battery immediately (and prompts with a 30sec countdown to continue on battery or turn off). Once bike power resumes it uses that and charges the battery. I don't need the GPS for daily riding/commuting, but I've done a lot of route planning across the country with it... found some really nice roads confident that I can never really get lost... just end up someplace I didn't plan to be
    new zumo 590 is garmin equiv of bmw nav iv

Bike
    GSX1300R
    I use NZ Open GPS project (compatible with Garmin) and it's way more accurate than Garmin (partially because I've submitted corrections, plus all the other enthusiasts). Bit of a killer that this new range forces you to use Basecamp. I've tried switching but found it hard to use, so opted for the easy route and continue to use Mapsource.
    OK, took a while but I did finally get the NZ Open GPS project maps installed and working using basecamp on OS X. First had to run the setup exe to install them on basecamp in windows. Garmin provides a map convert tool that will take an installed map in basecamp on windows and convert it to the OS X format. After that on OS X you have to use the map manager to install them on OS X Basecamp and then use map installer to transfer those to the the GPS unit.

Also, if you just grab the .img file and copy it onto the device in the map directory (you may have to create this on the device the first time) it works as well but I preferred to have them in basecamp as well without having to connect the Zumo.

One other issue is that in basecamp you can search for an address using upper & lower case characters. On the Zumo the open gps maps address searching only works if entered in uppercase. I created a en_NZ.kbd file in the keyboards directory (copy one of the existing english keyboards, does not matter which one). You will select this new keyboard definition in setup. On the latter ZUmo's and Nuvi's you can select multiple keyboards and toggle though them using the language key when entering text. The older Zumo does not provide this option so your stuck with only one active ant any one time.

Edit the file and search for all id="0" entries and line that has an output= entry for a alpha character (A..Z) change the id entry to "id=0,1" and delete the following line for the lower case character with an id="1".'

Example:
    level id="0" label="A" output="A"
    level id="1" label="A" output="A"

changed to:
    level id="0,1" label="A" output="A"

I also changed the keyboard labels:
    level id="0" label="A-I"
    level id="1" label="a-i"

changed to:
    level id="0,1" label="A-I"

Finally, change three lines in the file header section to match this:
    en_NZ
    New Zealand English
    STR_LANGUAGE_NEWZEALAND_ENGLISH

Also, although the FAQ recommends to "Search All" the "Spell Town" does work as long as you enter the correct suburb.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSheepLogic View Post
    Also, although the FAQ recommends to "Search All" the "Spell Town" does work as long as you enter the correct suburb.
    The reason for this, is that you don't know which town/suburb a location has been set as. I live in East Auckland, so my address can be anything from Howick, Pakuranga, Botany??, Bucklands Beach etc. Hence search all, because you may not use the right one...

Also recommend you wrap the id stuff into code tags, otherwise it's not visible.

Bike
    GSX1300R
    Also recommend you wrap the id stuff into code tags, otherwise it's not visible.
    Yes, the entries have to be in code tag format but I could not paste those lines into a replay. When you look at the instructions only change the part of the text suggested.

I hope this post gives clues about how to make this work. The maps are wonderful but it took me several hours to finally figure out how to make them work and to do so in a way if was easey enough fix for my wife to use.

Thanks Gremlin for providing the original reference to them.

Bike
    Sold
    I had only vaguely heard of Basecamp before because like others here, I use MapSource together with NZ Open Source maps and have always been happy with the result. This thread piqued my interest so had a poke around on the net and found this Garmin forum discussion: https://forums.garmin.com/showthread...ce-vs-BaseCamp. I think that on balance, I'll stick with MapSource. The car GPS has lifetime maps for NZ and Oz so I just plug it into Garmin Express on the PC and that's all there is to it. The Garmin on the bike is an old 76CX but it still does the job.

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    I am happy with the Zumo 220, apart from one problem that I simply cannot seem to fix. Outlined below. Any ideas?

I can set up a route in Basecamp and apparently, import it into the Zumo220.

However, when I ask the Zumo to find the route ("import route from file"), it just hangs up at "Searching for Custom Routes." This will go on and on forever until I tell it to stop.

If I hook the unit up to Basecamp, it appears as a device. I can open up internal storage and see the route or I can open up the memory card and see the route there - depending, obviously, on where I sent the route to. But the unit itself seems unable to find the route when I ask it to.

Why can the device not find the file to import? Multiple reboots have done nothing to help.

When I first had this unit, I could import routes. But not now. WTF?
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    Yamaha SRX400
    How many routes do you have stored? Some Zumos have a limited number of waypoints that they can store and you might have too many in there.

Bike
    GSX1300R
    That really should not be a problem if the route with waypoints are done in Basecamp because those waypoints don't count against the devices max.

Quote Originally Posted by Bender View Post
    How many routes do you have stored? Some Zumos have a limited number of waypoints that they can store and you might have too many in there.

Bike
    Yamaha SRX400
    It was a problem with my Zumo 500 - would not accept a route with over a certain number of waypoints (and I can't off the top of my head remember what number it was).

The other problem I found was having two different maps - the one in basecamp being a different version to the one in the Zumo.

Thread Information