Thread: 1982 Honda CX500 Shadow - tips?

Bike
    2008 Suzuki GS500F

1982 Honda CX500 Shadow - tips?

Hey,

So this is my first post. Just really curious to know if anyone else has done a rebuild of the Honda CX500 here in NZ and if they had any advice about getting parts and things to watch out for.

(I'll most likely post some pictures of my progress or lack of )

Cheers,
    V

Bike
    Street Triple R
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    1994 Triumph Trophy 1200
    Hard to find Honda parts

Call Econohonda in Te Aroha

Quote Jan 2020 Posted by Katman

Life would be so much easier if you addressed questions with a simple answer.

Bike
    RSV
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    So he can get some of the crack pacific_moto has been smoking?
    Cool looking bike, but $11k?
    Quote Originally Posted by Soul Daddy
    I got a good half hour with him in the Yamaha tent at Laguna in 2005. No one knew who he was until someone in the tent yelled "who here has the most wins?" and everyone pointed at Rossi, and Rossi pointed at Ago standing next to me.

Bike
    bandit
    Advice??? Yeah .. don't go near a CX .. I rode one in the late 80s .. and hated it - I could NOT make it turn left (against the engine spin) .. scared the fuck out of me ... it did turn right fine ... but not left ..
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by nosebleed View Post
    So he can get some of the crack pacific_moto has been smoking?
    Cool looking bike, but $11k?
    I think you'll find it is a hobby/business.

Plus if you have ever done anything like that (fixing up an old shitter, any sort of custom) you will find it goes by the golden rule ((the three two rule of all DIY: it takes three times as long, and costs twice as much)). Good example in this month's Cycle World: guy gets given a free Norton Commando. Woo Hoo. Six months of a Wisconsin winter and $10500USD later, he has a very nice Norton Commando.)

Alan does good work: here is a previous build of his:

http://www.bikeexif.com/suzuki-gs550

When it came up for sale I didnt have the money to buy it. Went for around $8k IIRC.

I personally don't really like that particular bike: I do like the Scrambler style.

Bike
    1969 Honda S90
    Quote Originally Posted by vmborges View Post
    Hey,

So this is my first post. Just really curious to know if anyone else has done a rebuild of the Honda CX500 here in NZ and if they had any advice about getting parts and things to watch out for.

Cheers,
    V
    I currently own two CX's and reckon they are a great bike-not fast but very reliable and easy to work on yourself-We took 3 of these bikes from Cape Reinga to Invercargill a couple of years back-all up over 16000 Kms over the 3 bikes and they didn't miss a beat.I have extensive mechanical experience of these bikes having done a ground up restoration in addition to all my own maintenance.There is an Aust based website for these bikes and the members are a great bunch.For a purchase price of around $2000 these bikes are great value for money IMHO.In 1982 these bikes shifted from CDI based electrics to TDI which was a big improvement.
    If Bikebandit could not make his turn left,I suggest something was wrong with the alignment or he needs to go to riding school

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    I currently own two CX's and reckon they are a great bike-not fast but very reliable and easy to work on yourself-We took 3 of these bikes from Cape Reinga to Invercargill a couple of years back-all up over 16000 Kms over the 3 bikes and they didn't miss a beat.I have extensive mechanical experience of these bikes having done a ground up restoration in addition to all my own maintenance.There is an Aust based website for these bikes and the members are a great bunch.For a purchase price of around $2000 these bikes are great value for money IMHO.In 1982 these bikes shifted from CDI based electrics to TDI which was a big improvement.
    If Bikebandit could not make his turn left,I suggest something was wrong with the alignment or he needs to go to riding school
    he is a well known proponent of the left, too, so clearly something was very wrong....

Bike
    NC30s
    Quote Originally Posted by vmborges View Post
    Hey,

Cheers,
    V
    Advice? Sell it to me.

Thread Information